Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2016
Country
US
State
XO
I just had an appointment with an internist, someone supposedly "more experienced" than the doctors I've been seeing at my local clinic.

I just brought up the possibility that I could have mitochondrial toxicity from a study drug I had been receiving. She got nasty, belligerent and said "There is no such thing as mitochondrial toxicity"

I just googled it: 227,000 results for mitochondrial toxicity, everything from research to Dr.'s reports to websites...227,000 results for something that doesn't exist.

I have never heard of mitochondrial toxicity. Some medical personnel are not conversant with the nitty gritty of the scientific aspect of medicine and this can be misleading. Anyway, when I think of toxicity, the first element or thought that comes to mind is detox. My sense of detox is simply put, fasting accompanied by drinking lots of water. If a water fast proves too challenging, one can always revert to the Daniel fast which involves exclusively feeding on vegetables, fruits and water.

I have not heard of this either, but the point being that most ( more experienced) doctors go nuts if a patient even suggests a diagnosis that they themselves have not found or know much about. I have had doctors get really nasty and rude, getting me to the point of crying just for asking a question or suggesting what is wrong with me. So I wanted to say I am sorry you had to go through that and is there any way you could change doctors. Once a doctor thinks your searching for a diagnosis they often tune out all your feelings and concerns. I hope your doing okay, and your NOT crazy, but your doctor needs some anger management classes. No patient should ever have to be insulted for asking a question. :)

Thanks 1sweed {big gentle hug, lol}.

You know, I had bent down for something a couple of weeks ago, and felt a ripping sensation just above one buttock. It was like a zipper when it breaks and starts opening up. The pain was horrible for days and so I didn't bend at all. It got better and happened again once I bent down.
I brought this up to her. She shrieked "You can't rip a muscle, that is physically impossible!"

I spoke with a doctor at the local Sports Medicine clinic today, said you can tear the gluteal muscle. I'm going in for an x-ray tomorrow to see if that's it.

I swear, this cray-cray doctor was like from another planet.

Thanks 1sweed {big gentle hug, lol}.

You know, I had bent down for something a couple of weeks ago, and felt a ripping sensation just above one buttock. It was like a zipper when it breaks and starts opening up. The pain was horrible for days and so I didn't bend at all. It got better and happened again once I bent down.
I brought this up to her. She shrieked "You can't rip a muscle, that is physically impossible!"

I spoke with a doctor at the local Sports Medicine clinic today, said you can tear the gluteal muscle. I'm going in for an x-ray tomorrow to see if that's it.

I swear, this cray-cray doctor was like from another planet.

I now know I am crazy, but I'm not stupid!!! Neither are you. I've become fond of calling many medical doctors Dictors. Not all, some are actually wonderful and meen well. I wish my ENT specialized in something more. But you must remember many of these Dictors spent years and big $$$ only to learn what they could speed read through. 1 out of 100 graduated in the bottom 1%! They aren't going to admit they aren't the one up to par. It is so hard to move on and even harder to find a good doctor. But no your not the crazy one. You know your body, don't let some pompess jerk with a Ph.D. Convince you they know it all. They paid for that diploma. And they only know what they learned from a BOOK. They didn't live through an illness trying to research it while sick with no funds and little resources and desperate for help. Einstien was crazy too, but he was right about a lot.
I think functional and alternative doctors are more open to looking for answers then most conventional Dictors if your insurance or funds provide.
Whatever you do don't let this one get to you. I've left many times in tears and avoided Dictors until I ended up hospitalized because of their bad behavior. Chin up. She's the idiot not you.

Last edited:
LOL, I could have used you at her office eyesup, you could have given her a piece of your mind!

"DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS" : )

Had to say it. You are not crazy. There is a big gap in medical profession when it comes to knowledge. Sometimes the best thing we can do is help ourselves. Says the woman with 50 diagnosis plus,and a laundry list of medical bills. But pay me no mind. Am the crazy one.

Sureimsore don't let me full you, I've cried my way out of more then one doctors office!

Elise: 50 different diagnoses...how do you handle it? There is something so wrong with a medical system that allows that to happen. Im sure your like me...your so busy trying to pay off old medical every time you think you can try a new approach something jumps up and snags your money. It's as if the system was designed to keep us sick.

Do not want to take over this thread, but feel your comment about the system being designed to keep us sick may be valid. That is why no meds here, they do more harm than good with me. Trying to learn about real nutrition, avoid all food additives. Hoping and praying it helps. Can only do so much with bum genetics. Am grateful can function somewhat.

Sorry eyesup that you had to go through that too; everyone here that has had to go through a similar situation. The whole thing leaves you reeling. Adding insult to injury when you have to pay for the added insult to injury.

This doctor was just a disaster...bottom line, she told me "there's nothing physically wrong with you; in MY professional opinion you are suffering from anxiety and deep depression." That just set me totally off to the point I told her "Well DUH!" Who doesn't have anxiety and depression after dealing with an ongoing painful health issues?! Anyway, when I asked her how stress can cause my other diagnosed physical ailments, she stayed quiet. She is just lucky my cane wasn't within reach at the moment ; )

So I hobbled out of there. I had a consultation/exam with a doctor at the spine-rehab center near me (not cheap). He said some of my pain issues
may be from the way I walk and my posture now with a cane. That I can believe. have to wait for xray till next week, but now have to figure out a way to pay out of pocket costs--guess that's always the case.

oh, feel free to vent Elise about the doctors and the system.

I'm sorry he treated you that way. He is an incompetent a$$.

After six years of working with doctors after my daughter was diagnosed with CRPS, CSF/ME and Fibromyalgia, we don't go to doctors for fibro anymore. We go for ordinary stuff like sinus infections, but not this stuff. We self treat, and we've had AMAZING progress with supplements, but never any progress with doctors.

I really hate doctors. We quit going after we went for our $550/visit appointment. On the biofeedback machine, one of my daughter's Pain's hit, and the biofeedback machine spiked off the chart. It "rang the bell", so to speak. After the biofeedback session, we went in to see the doctor, who said, "NOW we know that the pain you have been talking about for the last four years is real." My peaceful fifteen year old daughter said to me later, "Mom. I wanted to hit her."

We don't go to doctors for fibro anymore. They're not human. They have cash registers and a nose to look down at you from, where most people store their brains and their empathy.

There are a few actual decent smart, empathetic doctors who understand this type of illness out there, I hear. Nearly extinct, but possibly still a few in the wild. I hope your next attempt at finding one works out better.

I hope things get better.

@gryfalcon: Thanks. And I don't blame you in the least. After tomorrow to get some paperwork, I am just going to stop going to the clinic...nothing to offer me except for fibro drugs. I will try some alternative stuff, like chiropractic, acupuncture and supplements.

I agree totally, doctors that actually want to help and see it more than a job and income are rare and far between. I may try and get some help at the research hospital, just a bear to get to.

LOL, unfortunately, it was an incompetent "she." I was so hopefully because finally a woman doctor. Oh well, that's what you get for being optimistic.

I have heard about this issue before, and don't feel bad, some doctors are complete idiots. Some of them get really angry when a patient brings up a diseases they don't even know, then their super proud and arrogant self will try to dismiss you and silence you. This is done with the purpose to retain their status quo... Yes, as you can tell I've plenty of experience with this kind of doctors, those who get angry are the worse, but that is because they have no idea what you are talking about. Now when that happens I know I have to find another doctor, but yeah, that is also so taxing... Best of luck with everything, I hope you find a decent doctor soon!

Thanks Trellum, yes, some doctors have a terminal case of "hubris," and it happens most to the ones that know the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back