Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2012
Country
US
State
Pa
I'm sure many have had this experience, but it was a first for me. On Sunday, I was talking to a friend. She was asking me about some pain I'd been dealing with. I told her, I feel pretty good today! In fact, I haven't felt this good in a long time! She asked me what I meant. I told her, the only severe pain I have right now is in my back! My arms hurt, but it's not unbearable! I'm really tired, but I'm not exhausted! This is actually a great day!! Her response? A great day? ....if you say so, but it doesn't sound too great to me.

All I could think was that I hoped she never was in a position to understand why I was so excited and happy about that. Bit of a wake up call for me. I tend to forget that not everyone has pain as a constant companion, and fatigue is not everyone's way of life. I don't remember what it is like to not have some level of pain in your life. (I've had back issues since I was 8-9yrs old) I don't resent others for not having pain, I just can't imagine it!!

Yes i identify...i find myself asking my best friend if it hurts her arms when she says she has a huge pile of ironing to do...or she says she knits for hours and because i cant remember what its like for all activities not to hurt me i have asked her how long she can knit for before it hurts......haha but of course it doesn't hurt her at all...and she is 20 years older than me.

We do forget normal.

Recently when my partner said he had a really bad headache i assumed it was like the ones i have much of the time...where it covers my whole head face and jaw. When they hit i struggle to speak and end up no choice but to lay down with ice on my head in a dark room.

I suggest out of caring that he put his feet up and rest quietly.

Next minute he says i'm just off to the hair dressers to get my hair cut and i realize it cant be that bad at all!

He also complains of hip pain and i assume its really bad and am concerned about him.... next minute he is at the chiropractor and lets them shove their whole body weight behind some severe manouvre and he's not even a tiny bit concerned if it will make it worse...haha and i am generally mentally measuring if i can handle a hug because it hurts sooo much!

Oh the luxury they have!!!

I know what you mean. I tend to shy away from hugs and handshakes especially if its a man who is giving it to me. They tend to be a little rougher in their hugs and handshakes. I have actually told people "its nothing personal but I prefer not to hug or shake hands due to a medical condition I have." Most people take it pretty well but some do not. The only hugs I won't refuse are the ones I get from my granddaughter. I am willing to go through the pain just so I can hold her in my arms and soak up all her love. She knows that grandma has something wrong with her but doesn't understand what it is. I tell her she has to give grandma gentle hugs. And when she spends the day and then overnight with me I just tell her that grandma needs to lie down for awhile and she understands. We will crawl in bed together and read or just talk. I love that child more than anything.

Ah Krista so sweet x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back