Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2023
Country
US
State
OH
Hello. Last month, I got diagnosed with fibro. On Ash Wednesday of all days. Ah, the irony...

Anyway.

I know a tiny bit about fibro, but not a whole lot. This is strange territory to navigate, and I'm confused. I'm frustrated, and I am wanting to learn as MUCH as I can about this ... issue? Illness? I don't know what to call it, honestly. I don't want it to define me, but I also don't want to just treat it like it's "no big deal" and then find out the hard way that I'm doing myself more harm than good, you know?

So, a little bit about me: I'm in college. Right now, I'm working on finishing up my AA in Religious Studies/Philosophy. My hope is to become a creative writing teacher, but I can't seem to get past the brain fog right now. I have ADHD that I'm being treated for, and even with the treatment for that, the brain fog struggles are real. Also, I'm into photography (nature, specifically), reading, playing guitar, and trying to be a good human overall. :)

Welcome, sleepysmurf! 👋

Well, we all get what you're saying, and maybe it won't necessarily change that much... Or rather it will, but in different ways than we think, cos managing it needs a new mindset and a new life:
Since fibro remains vague and slippery / hard to grasp to us all the journey is more about getting to know our bodies - and our minds.
Issue? Illness? Yeah. "Condition" is where I usually land.
And yep, I know, we know about the problem how much we prioritize it. We can jump out of that seeming continuum by learning the self-care which many have learnt to neglect. Self-care makes sure we learn to pace and prioritize treating worst symptoms and their triggers. Treating is trialling and always comes with setbacks, so there are always periods where things get worse. In my case when I rely on recommendations of others too much, like docs and other practitioners. And self-care also means learning radical acceptance, learning to separate pain/symptoms from suffering, which ensures we don't let it define us, or take control, drag us down, influence us.
Your career hope sounds great. We don't have to give up our dreams, but depending on severity we can re-interpret and re-apply them, adapting to what we are able to actually do without harming ourselves. In your case I'm sure you'll be able to use your creative writing skills in some way.
With ADHD and brain fog, you may delight in the irony of a fibromyalgia study or two a few years ago, claiming that 45% of people with fibro have ADHD. Looking closely at the criteria, it was just "adult ADHD", which of course is absolutely identical with brain fog....
You say you are "being treated" for it. What about all the skills like using tokens for cutting thru the fog, are you getting them implemented? I should be ordering new magnesium threonate now, so I've placed the previous tub right in front of me next to my computer with a big arrow after "Threo" written on it ➡️, meaning: go get this sh... done NOW. But after a tough evening yesterday, I'm managing to ignore 20 reminders on my computer. And where the heck is the threo reminder with the 🔥 symbol in front that is sposed to remind me. I can talk about it without in the least managing to stop finishing this post. Sigh. Not officially ADHD by the way, but my wife claims I am, cos I drive her nuts with my hyperactivity. But I'm also hypermotivated and with multi-tasking almost always get my stuff done in time, so let's say I'm H. :rolleyes: 😸

Hello. Last month, I got diagnosed with fibro. On Ash Wednesday of all days. Ah, the irony...

Anyway.

I know a tiny bit about fibro, but not a whole lot. This is strange territory to navigate, and I'm confused. I'm frustrated, and I am wanting to learn as MUCH as I can about this ... issue? Illness? I don't know what to call it, honestly. I don't want it to define me, but I also don't want to just treat it like it's "no big deal" and then find out the hard way that I'm doing myself more harm than good, you know?

So, a little bit about me: I'm in college. Right now, I'm working on finishing up my AA in Religious Studies/Philosophy. My hope is to become a creative writing teacher, but I can't seem to get past the brain fog right now. I have ADHD that I'm being treated for, and even with the treatment for that, the brain fog struggles are real. Also, I'm into photography (nature, specifically), reading, playing guitar, and trying to be a good human overall. :)
Welcome, sleepysmurf. This forum is a great place to get information and support, so I am glad you found us.
I wrote a post that may have some helpful things in it for you, and here is is.
Feel free to ask us questions, or tell us what is going on with you. that's what we are here for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back