Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
NC
this is my first post here, i was diagnosed in november of 2017. i dont even know what to do. i cant function without using cannabis concentrates to stop my muscle spasms and pain, i work long days that kill me and i hate complaining because i know everyone else is tired as well. i've been told my pain is "all in my head" my whole life, ive been told it's my fault for being so anxious (a disorder i have mostly outgrown, but my mother has continued to use it to explain away my physical health issues). i havent found anything that helps. i'd give up every good feeling i've ever felt to just feel nothing. i want silence in my head yall its like pain and white noise are one thing blasting through my skull together

First of all welcome to the forum.

My advice; since you have only been recently diagnosed; go through this forum, read all that interests, keep an open mind about treatment options (something as simple as a 'heat pack' can be more powerful than any medication out there for many for example) and know that you are not alone. Yes, out in that world, you might be alienated from even the people closest to you (somehow they can say the cruelest things) but here you are 'safe'.

Also it is so important to have a good doctor. I did for about 10 years, but he retired 8 years ago- so I know how important it is. It makes a world of difference. Talk to your doctors about treatment options, medications, taking some time off work, physical therapy, (mild) exercise, nutrition, get a blood test done (to see what you need to work on - vitamin/mineral levels, cholesterol, blood sugar etc).

And sadly, accepting the pain and the fatigue also offers a lot of relief. Accepting it is not giving up. It is about knowing the new you, your new limits, to pace yourself, to find out what is important in life for you in this phase of your life. all the best

Vickythecat has the best advice. Know you are NOT alone, (this forum is wonderful), do your research on treatments, find a really good Doc who understands Fibro, get your blood tests done (many fibro sufferers have a vitamin D deficiency), and yes, the biggest one, accepting the new fibro you. This one was very hard for me, and really the hardest for all of us. I went from a 60 hour a week workaholic (managing a bar/restaurant/club) and raising 2 boys on my own to working a 25 hour/week clerk position, and letting my (now 22 year old) boys help me out at home with money and house chores/maintenance. I still manage to do a little too much, and they scold me for it. lol. Handling stressful situations is very hard, And in today's world there is almost always stress to deal with. I wish you luck in finding your own way to handle your fibro, and remember we are always here for encouragement, advice, and to remind you that you are not alone.

Hello Keri: First and foremost ... do NOT blame yourself for any of your symptoms ... or reactions. I'm 30 years plus with FMS, and other issues ... and people who are well do not understand. Some will be kind; most will not care. Sad, but true. So we tend to blame ourselves for having a lousy disease ... and almost always end up alone with our problem.

I'm a senior, pretty much house-bound. So on top of the pain, fatigue, depression, bad sleep ... have to deal with being left behind by most family and friends. It stinks!!!

Keep in mind that this disease affects out entire body AND mind. Ask others if they've ever had the flu. Then tell them that's what you feel like every single day!!! Because we'll likely not get better, we get tuned out and ignored. It's very painful ... on top of the other pain. And sad.

So, be nice to yourself. It's not your fault you are ill. This forum is an AWESOME source of help and inspiration. Keep coming back. It's helped me so very much over the years, and David deserves a medal for keeping this going!!!
Welcome to the group ... and cheers, from PhillyFibro :)

Hi I’m new to this forum also, I’m so pleased to find other people who are in the same position as me, I was just diagnosed last year after years of being told it was all in my head because I have anxiety and depression too,

Welcome, GillyR! This forum is the best way share with people who suffer the same disease ... and its ugly effects! Anxiety and depression are part of the symptoms. Seem to me very sensible responses to having constant pain and fatigue. Try to find a caregiver to help you with antidepressants ... musculoskeletal relaxants in reasonable doses. You can learn about that online. Very important is physical therapy exercise: can be difficult, but key to moving about somewhat better.

Mostly, do not blame yourself. You are a victim, like the rest of us! It takes away our energy, jobs, family and friends because we are no longer able to join in. We are not who we used to be, and my lesson to myself ... almost every day ... is to do what I can, NOT what I want :)

Best wishes, from PhillyFibro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back