Not open for further replies.

Uhura

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
I am much more shaky and it is hard to text ot type or text hold light things. Heavy things are easier to hold. Fine motor skill is worse. I don’t know if this is part of or separate from asterixis. I will have to check with my doctor but would like to know if anyone else has asterixis. The occasional jello feeing that was in my legs is now almost constant.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

A quick Google gave this:
"The cause is thought to be predominantly related to abnormal ammonia metabolism. Asterixis is seen most often in drowsy or stuporous patients with metabolic encephalopathies, especially in decompensated cirrhosis or acute liver failure. It is also seen in some patients with kidney failure and azotemia."

With this information I would say it sounds as if it is a separate condition from Fibro and should definitely be seen by a doctor for treatment, if that is actually what you have. And you need to see a doctor to find that out, so I am glad you are doing that.

The thing about having FM is that every new thing could, or could not, be a symptom of FM. It is always wise to check with a doctor if a new symptom comes up for you.

Hi Uhura: Like @sunkacola I'm not sure if you already know if you have asterixis or not - it sounds like you do.
If that it the case, then I agree that one important question is: what from? - there are so many causes.
One of the many meds that can cause it is gabapentin, a typical FM-med...
If not - and, I agree, independently of it: Shakiness, holding things, fine motor skills as well as jello/jelly legs can all be associated with FM. To answer your question: Yes, I have had them all and I have heard this mentioned often. Mine are generally much better from regular gentle PT / gentle, short exercising / stretching. Worse from my jab-sfx.
As I was/am a fan of the comic characters Asterix & Obelix I'd've probably remembered if anyone had mentioned it before.
And a search on the fibro forums confirms no-one's ever mentioned it up to now...
A general web search comes up only with this thread.
And a pubmed search only reminds that FM does generally come with increased neurological disorders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back