Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/1995
Country
US
State
IL
Has anyone experienced this? I have recently developed annoying itching recently after about 20 years of having fibro. Started underneath breasts and now also has started on my head and sometimes other places intermittently. No change in any food or products/ soap used on my body. Seems the worst towards evening and over night. Just curious.... Scratching makes it worse, but no rash or any visible signs.

I recommend seeing a doctor or nurse practitioner in
case this is something else. It's not commonly part of fibrymyalgia symptoms. Also, you may have developed an allergy so you can try eliminating some things from your diet, or what you wear, or the lotion you use, or whatever.

Sounds like me... and might be fibro... according to a new book... and many web sites.
I've had dry extremely itchy skin (one allerg. dxed it as: pre-neurodermitis) all over for 40 years, so way before fibro.
After sjögren's (autoimmune) being suspected at the mo, I was part-happy seeing it explains my somewhat dry eyes and dry mouth.
Researching showed me that it can also explain dry skin, dry throat etc., i.e. sicca-syndrome all over.
But then I read a new fibro-book by a doc where I for the first time read that dry eyes & dry mouth can also be found in fibro.
And: also dry skin. Just look it up, there's plenty of pages.
My dry skin does not like any lotions or any soaps at all, so I only carefully & quickly soap (sensitive-type) the vital places,
and they are OK with that.
I also keep contact to water down. When it started off years ago radically for 6 months. Then keeping showers short (5 mins. at most), no baths.
Swimming & aquajogging again now in the clinic was OK up to 20 mins, 30 mins was a bit too much.
And for all sicca-problems drinking more should help, that's what now motivates me (at last...) to drink 2 litres before 2pm.
(My gut burns from fizz (acidic), pure water like all herb teas act diuretic on me - praps also sicca-style?? - soy milk works best for me, got used to the weird taste..., wheat & rice drinks give me heartburn in these amounts.)
And I can only wear cotton, no synthetics anywhere, day or night (thanks sunkacola for reminding me).
If (when) I didn't do all this, the itching would make (made) me go mad and scream.

Last edited:
Medication can provoke itching too, in my case e.g. after COX2-inhibitors (heavy rash after 2nd dose, itching after 1st dose) and Metamizole (itching after 1st dose), so I stopped taking them, realizing it was the medication and told the doctor that.

Rashes and second itching is possible after "duloxetine (Cymbalta) and milnacipran (Savella), and anti-seizure medications like gabapentin" and more.

Actually I only take a low dose blood pressure pill and I've been taking that a long time. The itching is recent. But sorry yours seems really aggravating..

Yes, I do have the same issue with intermittent itching. It would start with my head. And then I would get spots on my body. Then suddenly it goes away. I’ve looked this up to see if it was a symptom of fibromyalgia but couldn’t find anything.

I put an example link in my above post, but it's not appearing (yet?),
I get lots of webpages with <dry skin fibromyalgia> and <itching fibromyalgia>... :)

Yes, I have the itch as well. To me it feels as if bugs are crawling on me. Luckily, I don't have this feeling everyday because it's enough to drive me bonkers! Mine is mostly in my head and face and will travel down my arms. I have always associated this with my Fibro. Wish I could offer something that helps with it but I just take an extra B supplement and a CBD capsule until it goes away, usually 2 to 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back