Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
CA
State
Manitoba
Everyone always asks me what I'm taking for medications for my pain, and i don't take anything. am I the only one that's living with fm without taking anything for pain?

I am currently using young living essential oils for the excruciating pains (it's a topical oil), but either than that I just take vitamins and supplements.

Also does medical marijuana help with our symptoms at all?

Just looking for some reassurance

Thanks

Hi, well yes there is a few ppl who don't take meds ,but sadly most of us have to.plus why be in so much pain when u don't need to.
Yes I no meds are bad but what isn't .
It all comes down to what your comfy with. As for smoking weed I'm sure it does help but that a drug to .so as I say it what u feel comfy with x

Forgetmenot, thank you for the reply. I suppose my main concern is starting to take these medications at such a young age as I'm only 23 years young!
I'm also really confused as to what i should do with my job, I feel like working takes such a toll on me physically and mentally that it's hard for me to carry on the rest of the day. Just a few years ago I was able to work 8-10 hour shifts with no problem. And now I work 4 hours and my body feels like it worked 8 hours. So it's to the point where I can't even work part time without it affecting my personal life. When I wake up every morning just getting ready for the day (showering, getting dressed) hurts my body and I get so fatigued and weak that my body feels like it just wants to collapse. I think I over work myself everyday at work? Is it even possible to stop working at my age?

hiya Leana

your young and you have been coping with the pain. the pain will drain your energy.
you will get stressed and you wont sleep. not sleeping will cause fatigue.

these are very common with Fibro.

see, you maybe over doing it at work.

you need to prepare for the next day.

At night after work try taking a hot bath with Ebsons salt.

one hour before bed time:
no TV, no computer, no books.

once in bed try the tapping technique to relax you.
you can look up how to do it online. very helpful.

Place aluminum foil over the window in your room.
this will reflect the heat and make your room dark.

when you awake in the am:
just try relaxing everything.
if need be do the tapping again.
get up slowly and begin moving and resting.
leave your self time to eat a good breakfast and relax.
watch your coffee intake.

Once at work try to sit relax and do tapping again.

know what triggers your pain and energy drain at work.

try to pace your self throughout the day.

take a 15 min break in the am around 10am. if your stressed do the tapping and relax.

eat a healthy lunch in a quite place away from your desk and the excitement around the office.

if your still stressed/drained after you get back to your desk do the tapping.

take another break at 2:00. get away to a quiet place.

return to work.

make the drive home relaxing with calm music.

get home and for one hour stay in your dark room.
everything and everyone can wait one hour for you.
the world wont stop because you took an hour.

start the relaxing salt bath or hot shower.

the tapping will reduce you blood pressure and relax the muscles.
you will find yourself relaxing quicker with each tapping session.

then go out and do the family stuff.
know what your triggers are and avoid them.

keep on the same eating and break schedule every day.

these things will help you cope with work, stress, muscle aches and pain levels.

don't try to do more than you can. the more relaxed you are the less the muscles will send messages to the brain to send pain
through your nerves. the messages being sent through the nerves are causing you pain and draining your energy.

i hope this helps you.

thanks for sharing with us today

Thank you cmetryme for your advice ! I looked up tapping and am very excited to try this new method! I have high hopes that it will help me throughout my days.

As for work unfortunately I am not able to take very many breaks, I work in a high end salon that's very busy and requires me being on my feet the whole entire shift. My boss is very strict and I will get in trouble if I take longer breaks. There's a lot of days where it's so busy I don't eat until I come home, the longest break I've ever had at my work is maybe half an hour and that was years ago. The longest I ever get to sit down on a break is maybe 15 min on a slow day, but most days I don't get to have a break. I've always been known as an extremely hard worker and Im having a hard time coping with the fact that I can't work as hard anymore. I think my job is the reason why I'm so depressed and in so much pain all the time because it's extremely physically demanding on my body, but I love my career so Im really torn, I feel like giving up my career will be very emotionally traumatic for me and that's also another reason as to why I struggle every day of my life.. Because in the back of my mind I always ask myself if being a hairstylist is worth all this pain and stress? So in the end I'm depressed everyday not wanting to give up my career

Hi Leana,

At 23 you should probably start to think about a less physically demanding career. I am 53 and at 50 changed my career. I had been an Activities Director in assisted living with the elderly for 12 years. As time went on I realized that a job with no breaks and constant movement and little time to wolf down my lunch was not going to work. I now have my own business doing companion work with the elderly in their home. It is in the same field but I only deal with one or two clients at a time, not 40-75. I get to eat because I make them lunch and eat with them or they like to go out to lunch. Either way I get a regular time to eat. I am also more in control of my hours. If you have a following can you work from home? Can you start a business going to people's homes who can't get out easily? Many of my clients would probably love a service like that. Most with dogs use a groomer that comes to the house. They all get their own hair done, too, so maybe that's a niche you could fill and make your own hours?

I also have something at home called a float tank. I do not take any medicine but I get all my pain relief from a chiropractic adjustment every 3 weeks and floating in my tank every 2-3 days. It is a 4' x 8' soft sided tank that holds 200 gallons of water with 800 lbs of Epsom salts dissolved in it. The water is only 10 inches deep and you float so easily with all the salt that I often fall asleep in it. It takes my aches and pains away for 2-3 days at a time. There are commercial float centers, mostly near bigger cities, and you could go try it. Most commercial floats are an hour and a half. I was on medications before that gave me side effects I was not willing to live with.

Thanks designdaytona for all your advice!

I agree with you when you say I should start thinking of a less physically demanding career, because lately thats all that's been running through my head. I guess I just needed some confirmation. As for working out of my home, or going to people's homes to do hair is definitely an option, that way I can work at my own pace and customize my own hours .

I will also look into commercial float centres, i love the idea of that, sounds very relaxing.

Yes, I just started on Lyrica. It is very expensive and I have not been on it long enough to know if it will work for me. Has anyone tried this
Medication and if so how did it work for you? Also, are their any supplements anyone has tried that work for FM? I know everyone is
Different, but it helps to be able to talk to other people about what does and does not work for them. I just had a heart attack, so I
Am also dealing with pain from surgery triple by-pass. I am also a hair stylist 30+ yrs. it is a very stressful job and very hard on
The body. I am in the process of deciding if I am going back or not. I love what I do but out health is Very Important. If you don't have your health you
Don't have much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back