Is anyone using Gaba supplements successfully for sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSqidd

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2022
Country
US
State
MI
I just got turned on to this. I'm wondering if anyone had had success with it?

Thanks!

@JayCS would be the one to talk to about GABA

I did try it briefly myself with little affect, but have found that 5-HTP helps me more for sleep than the GABA did.

@JayCS would be the one to talk to about GABA

I did try it briefly myself with little affect, but have found that 5-HTP helps me more for sleep than the GABA did.
Thanks for the reply.

I tried 5-HTP once and it sent me into a deep depression.:( Haven't touched it since.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried 5-HTP once and it sent me into a deep depression.:( Haven't touched it since.
yeah, everyone is different, so what works for one may not work for another.

Jay can definitely offer more info on the GABA than I can..

Thanks for the reply.

Oh that is interesting to know. I started 5 htp a couple of weeks ago and I feel that it has helped my sleep. I have noticed though a bit of restlessness when I am at work. Kind of like a, "I want this day done so I can go home" feeling. I am not my usual peppy self. Now I am wondering if there's a connection, so I guess I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for sharing this!

Oh that is interesting to know. I started 5 htp a couple of weeks ago and I feel that it has helped my sleep. I have noticed though a bit of restlessness when I am at work. Kind of like a, "I want this day done so I can go home" feeling. I am not my usual peppy self. Now I am wondering if there's a connection, so I guess I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for sharing this!
Quick way to know is to stop taking it for a week or so, see if that feeling goes away.

I have to stop taking it because of procedure next week... certain meds & most supplements have to be stopped a full 7 days prior to... will be interesting to see how my sleep pattern goes over the next week..

I've never heard of GABA supplementation being used for this purpose. However, my trial of GABA supplementation never made me tired or drowsy. In fact, it did very little for me which is why I'm not taking it anymore.
The most effective and useful method I use when I have difficulty falling asleep is mindfulness breathing.

Hi there!

GABA as body neurotransmitter increases serotonin, like the similar neurotransmitters 5-HTP and L-tryptophan. Those are s'posed to help sleep, but I didn't tolerate them.
When I started GABA it seemed a last resort as no supps had helped up to then, and it being such an unusual one I was surprised in how many areas it helped. Mainly deep muscle relaxation and thus pain (most strikingly bladder pain). For sleep it was the first thing that helped at all without harming, some periods since then I've only been up 4x per night, but often still 6-10x. So it was never good enough for sleep on its own and I've always looked for more help.
Some used to say the molecules are too big to cross the blood-brain-barrier (BBB), which would mean it can't help sleep, but this is standing corrected in recent studies. My sleep lab psychiatrist confirmed the effect it's having on me means it is crossing my BBB.

To put that into context, in case anyone's interested...
My other main sleep supps:

None of the magnesiums up to then helped, and passiflora didn't until I doubled the max. dose, so that's become my other mainstay. This remained fairly OK for a long time until improvement from adding Huberman's ideas of apigenin, myo-isonitol and magnesium threonate, plus looking towards the sun (or now in November a daylight lamp), always getting up at the same time. This made it possible to often get 7-8h of deep sleep per night, but 1-2h of sleep breaks plus 1-2 dozing until I had enough to keep my Ache down in the daytime.
I take loads of other supps too for my various reasons, and these are the ones that are supposed to help sleep: v.B12 as methylcobalamin, magnesium malate, PQQ, CoQ10, quercetin, luteolin & honokiol, rhodiola. (v. B6 as P5P not at the moment cos it got too high.) I take most in the evenings, but it doesn't make a difference to sleep if I don't take them.

2nd gen. antihistamine
Now the 3rd jab, the MCAS flare triggered by it and the 2nd gen. H1-antihistamine I'm adding for that in the evenings are for the first time since I had fibro giving me brilliant, almost normal sleep: 7-8.5h of concentrated deep sleep, with 3-4 5' breaks - what luxury! One reason is that the antihistamine is fluid retaining which means even slightly dryer mouth/lips, but also a "dry" bladder - very useful at night, when I take it, hardly any urge any more. As it's 2nd generation it doesn't zombify me in the daytime (like tryptophan, 5-HTP, CBD, melatonin and amitriptyline did). My GP feared I'd be zombified by an antihistamine, but my allergist recommended that one and it's worked for me for a month. It didn't work long for sleep after the 2nd jab....

(This is all having got and keeping all local pains down to essentially zero by trigger prevention, exercises, stretches, massager, supps etc. and the overall ache by pacing well, esp. in the last 5-6h before sleep: no socializing, no TV, no blue light, subdued etc. and a cold shower to get any stress or ache or unrest down).

Last edited:
I’d like to follow this and possibly try. Are you on Lyrica? I started 2 months ago. I’ve recently started getting insomnia and read it causes this issue 😭

Neither GABa or 5HTP did much for me but L-Tryptaphan has worked wonders for my sleep. We are all different. Keep trying and find what works for you.

Gaba supplements are more bad than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back