Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MD
When I worked in the medical field while in the Air Force. I remember the Internal Medicine doctors telling me it was always hard to make a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. Is this still true today or has it become easier?
I know my mother went through a lot of appointments before they finally discovered what it was. :?:

I think it is still pretty difficult. But overall I think there is more awareness of Fibromyalgia. I think in that sense it can take a little less time to be diagnosed.

I think it is still very hard for doctors to make a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. A lot of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia tend to be similar symptoms of many other conditions and diseases. They typically do the 18 point check on your body, and if 11 out of the 18 points match up to a Fibromyalgia, they will probably give a diagnosis of the Fibromyalgia. A lot of doctors still do not believe that Fibromyalgia exists, in spite of how many people seem to have it these days. I think because it's not a quick diagnosis and there are really no scientific tests that they can give to determine whether it's Fibromyalgia or not, they tend to just think that it's all in your head.

I believe that it is both biologically and emotionally based. I also believe that there is a genetic component to it as well. I have had to work on both aspects myself to have any type of relief from all of the symptoms that this condition seems to bring. Stress and how you deal with it is also a big indicator to me whether you will get it or not. The lower your stress levels are, and the healthier you are both physically and mentally, I think will make quite a difference for a lot of people with Fibromyalgia as well as many other diseases and conditions. If you are healthy and happy with life than you have a much better chance of dealing with and possibly eliminating or reducing a lot of the symptoms that go along with this condition.

I would agree with that. I've suffered with FM symptoms most of my adult life and I'm now 51. When I think back to the times when my body ached the most was most certainly stressful times; death of family members, divorce, bad relationship and most recently I've been having terrible job stress and just had the worse flare ever! Things settle down when I remove myself from whatever and whoever and really focus on taking care of me...a lot of the pain lessens. Best to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back