Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2009
Country
US
State
GA
Is the pain of Fibro mental or physical in your opinion? I beleive this is a great topic and, people can benefit from talking about it. Ill post later if it takes off.

In my opinion the pain is physical, but I'd argue that it wears you down more mentally. Being in constant pain, you almost get used to hurting everywhere on your body. Mentally though it's hard on somedays because you can't do the things you want to do because of the pain you're in and that wears you down, or it does me anyway.

Do a search of available research and you'll know that the pain is physical. Whatever the "cause," our bodies are in real pain. Chronic pain can lead to mental illness...depression, anxiety, panic attacks. And sometimes you just have both. The age of "it's all in your head" is fortunately over. I have such empathy for those who have struggled with fibro for many years, all the while being told they were malingering or "nuts." While still not totally understood, understand that fibro pain is REAL pain.

I think all pain is physical, because it is a physical symptom. However, yes, your brain can cause some of the pain, but that doesn't make it any less real. It all depends on the person and the situation.

I'd say both, because the physical pain is a mental response of the brain's synapses going "Hey, something is wrong, that doesn't feel good!" So it takes both a physical and mental response...but if your talking physical vs. emotional, that's a whole different ballpark!

it can be both as far as I am concerned ..... the chronic pain is always there, and with that being said I wonder on days that I just cant stand it anymore is it getting worse or am I just wearing down physically and mentally

I honestly believe that pain is something that is both physical and mental. I think at a certain point that feeling physical pain all the time does get you to where you are feeling pain emotionally when the physical pain isn't there.

Is the pain of Fibro mental or physical in your opinion? I beleive this is a great topic and, people can benefit from talking about it. Ill post later if it takes off.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone with fibro indicate that it may not be physical pain. I don't know if you have it or not, I'll check your profile in a sec) but... well I have to say that this question could trigger some people in other areas because it sounds a little (to me, maybe not to others) too much like the old and tiring "it's all in your head" issue.

It's physical. It's NOT "in your head." The pain of fibro is physical.

My pain is physical but it mentally gets on my nerves. My Fibromyalgia pain is definitely physical because, I don't always wake up with the same level of pain everyday. I believe I'm mentally affected when I can't do the things I want. I'm mentally effected when people don't believe the pain is real. People will try to convince you that your pain is mental..

I agree with everyone that while our pain is physical. Mentally we may let it have more control over our lives than we should. Yes, physically our pain is awful but, we mentally choose how it effects our lives.

People who do not have it and do not understand think it is all in our head. I had a doctor think that after diagnosing me with something else and not want anything to do with me as a patient, wanted to have me sent to a mental hospital. It was a big blow and hurtful, but I knew I was not making it up. Fibromyalgia is very real and those who suffer are very much in pain twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.

I agree with everyone that it is physical because, of the symptoms we experience with the disease. But, those who said it was also mental, too, I see your point. I also would like to point out the depression and mind games that we go through are veey much mentally generated. So, it would be simple to deduce that it is infact both a mental and physical. I believe this is the case with most diseases and sicknesses. This is just my opinion so do not crucify me for believing in that. It is the only way to see it for me. The logical conclusion.

Depression is a medical condition caused by chemical changes in your brain. Left untreated, it can be devastating. Beyond meds, I believe cognitive behavioral therapy is important to help learn new ways to cope with depression AND chronic pain. No matter how positive ones outlook, there are times when the world looks bleak. Having as many tools as possible in your bag of coping skills is vital. No one with depression ever wants to hear "suck it up and get over it." Because if you could, you would.

Your very right about depression not being treated. No one wants to here that they should just deal with it. I know that it would destroy me if someone told me that about my depression. I see a counselor monthly and, I take my meds daily. There are times I wish I could just suck it up. But, no matter how hard I have tried.

The pain is physical. The pain can lead to mental effects as well. Many people suffer from depression after they have trouble sleeping and they also have problems with sleepiness and drowsiness all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back