Not open for further replies.

Ingalls

Diagnosis
10/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
Do you find symptoms are worse in the colder months? I'm trying to determine if that's what's going on with me (weather related) or if it's coincidental.
I'm a stay at home mom, so the only difference in fall vs summer is the temperature or the fact
two of my kids are in school. Until snow falls, there's no huge difference for me! I still walk everywhere as I do not drive, still have three kids to look after, still do the usual workouts at the gym and laziness levels are stable, haha.
Could it be the cold?

I think that the cold can creep into your joints. I also have this issue a little bit with rain. Of course, I have a general intolerance to cold weather. My feet get so cold they become numb and I just can't regulate my body temperature very well.

The summer makes me swell horribly, but the winter just seems to make my joints hurt more.

I find the cold makes me hurt more I'm not sure if its because I tend to tense uo in the cold. I have been having problems with the cold since we moved back to Ontario after living in the Okanagen (BC) where I believe the coldest it got while we were there was -5c. Compared to where I am now it's a huge difference.... I wear lots of layers and long johns are a staple .

The cold makes for more stiffness and pain, but changes in the barometric pressure just slay me.

If you have any type of weather sensitivities it helps to get forecasts a few days ahead, along with barometric pressure predictions.
There are websites that send out notices to members, warning them of upcoming weather changes. If I run across one, I'll post the resource in this forum.

I believe the cold does play a big role when it comes to pain, for some reason my pain gets a bit worse around that time as well. I also tend to sleep more, I feel a lot fatigue as well and I crave carbs and sweet things in general. Each body is different tho, so if you have the feeling cold does affect you, then you're probably right.

The cold makes for more stiffness and pain, but changes in the barometric pressure just slay me.

I'm sorry to hear this, MercyL... I know that changes in barometric pressure can also trigger migraines in some people, so it makes sense that it could affect something like fibro in the same way. :sad:

To answer the original poster's question here, I've heard a lot of people say that coldness affects fibro, yes... and also when it's rainy or very humid as well.

I was chatting with a physical therapist recently, and asked if he recommended ice or heat for fibro pain. He said in his experience,
clients prefer heat by far, as they say cold tends to make it worse. I hadn't yet seen all of your replies, so hearing him say that made me
feel a bit better knowing I'm not just imagining things ;) I have a 'trainer' at a local gym and she's forever telling me to ice this or ice that,
never quite understanding that not every pain I have is going to go away with a stretch or a bag of peas....at least now, I can say with
more confidence, that no, icing it isn't the answer.

I'm sorry so many suffer from fibro, but wow, it feels really good too to know that i'm not alone. Others understand this!

I am sensitive to cold and have more pain. Also, days with cold rain or snow always cause pain. I even get hives if I am outside more than 5 minutes when the temps go below 40 degrees.

Yes, the pains get worse with the colds, as the weather pattern changes, I always know that the pain is coming especially at night. During the day it may reduce a bit because one is a bit busy, but as evening approaches, so does the pain.

I find relieve by using hot water bottles and making sure that am well covered.

Absolutely! Right now I'm suffering with horrible foot pain b/c of the cold front that came through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back