Diagnosis
10/2019
Country
US
State
SD
** I am new to board and very new to FM ***

Within a month been seen by 2 primary. Rheaumatologist and Endocrinologist
After Rheaumatologist said it was Fibromyalgia and I took a FM/a blood test that said 97% positive

I wrote in to my primary yesterday and asked if I can get a handicap placard ( because since August this has snow balled so quickly by afternoon my legs are very weak most days). Just to use on days that it’s to much. I typically use shopping carts to hang onto but finally broke down and bought a cane Incase I am not at a store with a cart or if I am already there and it sets in because to be honest if I am that bad I wouldn’t be out. Anyway I am so confused about FM and new and now I am embarrassed for asking for a handicap placard.

This was her reply ....
“Fibromyalgia is not a diagnosis appropriate for a handicap sticker, in fact increasing exercise will help treat the fibromyalgia and walking further from the parking spot will actually help the disease”

So how embarrassing I wasn’t trying to park closer for being lazy. In fact I will trade anything so I would park always the furthest spot away if I can get rid of what’s going on. Is this FM or do I have something else to. Seriously I am confused. It’s hard for me to look through so many stories on this forum and believe we all have issues because we are not walking farther and we all don’t exercise

Dooi

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
Well I don't know if her advice was medically accurate. Depending on the level of Fibromyalgia pain that day, walking may not be possible due to pain and discomfort. It is well known that exercise can help, but there are limits due to pain some days.

I have known people that receive disability for Fibro, so why wouldn't a disability parking sticker be in order?

I think there's a lot of misinformation being given by this "doctor". You must be very frustrated.

This journey with fibromyalgia is plagued with misinformation, frustration, and general distrust, which we all usually aim at ourselves. No wonder people with fibromyalgia have higher incidents of depression.

So what did you do with that doctor in the end? :)

Kristin975

Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
10/2019
Country
US
State
SD
I asked for a referral to a neurologist to make some newer symptoms are not MS. Which she did give me. My appointment is Dec 18th. I think I will research see if I can find a physician who may also have Fibromyalgia. Or at least someone who understands better. I don’t believe the philosophy that walking further and exercising makes it better from what I have read from others that if that was the option to get rid of the pain etc we would all be tri athletes and in serious training. Im not saying not to exercise but when you are in pain there is no way I can hardly walk.

Dooi

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
I don’t believe the philosophy that walking further and exercising makes it better from what I have read from others that if that was the option to get rid of the pain
I agree, it's not a "cure", just that it can help with overall discomfort. But again, that's the thing with fibromyalgia, it's different for different people.

What seems to be agreed is that trying to find things that work for you is the best solution.

What may work for me, may not work for you, and vice versa.

we would all be tri athletes and in serious training
Yes, when you say it like that, I think it drives home the point.

toyoran

Reason
Friend
Diagnosis
01/2019
Country
US
Are you thinking of getting a third opinion?

Firo30

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
Qc
** I am new to board and very new to FM ***

Within a month been seen by 2 primary. Rheaumatologist and Endocrinologist
After Rheaumatologist said it was Fibromyalgia and I took a FM/a blood test that said 97% positive

I wrote in to my primary yesterday and asked if I can get a handicap placard ( because since August this has snow balled so quickly by afternoon my legs are very weak most days). Just to use on days that it’s to much. I typically use shopping carts to hang onto but finally broke down and bought a cane Incase I am not at a store with a cart or if I am already there and it sets in because to be honest if I am that bad I wouldn’t be out. Anyway I am so confused about FM and new and now I am embarrassed for asking for a handicap placard.

This was her reply ....
“Fibromyalgia is not a diagnosis appropriate for a handicap sticker, in fact increasing exercise will help treat the fibromyalgia and walking further from the parking spot will actually help the disease”

So how embarrassing I wasn’t trying to park closer for being lazy. In fact I will trade anything so I would park always the furthest spot away if I can get rid of what’s going on. Is this FM or do I have something else to. Seriously I am confused. It’s hard for me to look through so many stories on this forum and believe we all have issues because we are not walking farther and we all don’t exercise
Hi , I have Fibromyalgia too and you should not be embarrassed, as in your case my family doctor and Rheumatologist suggested also walking , swimming and to keep active but with moderation . As for the handicap placard, usually a physiotherapist or an Occupationnal therapist that should assess you for this card, because they observe you and assess you during walking , the family doctor does not do that and thus it is harder for him to trust that you need one

Dooi

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
CA
State
ON
That's good advice @Firo30; I'm looking for an affordable physiotherapist and will inquire when I do find one. I'll let you know what I find out.