Is this fibro I was diagnosed with??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimoneAhrends

Good day all
I started experiencing aching pains in my left hand, wrist and elbow at first. 6 months thereafter I started experiencing shoulder pain including shoulder blade pain with muscle knots but all on the left. Doc diagnosed me with fibromyalgia said that it can be experienced one one side , but I was and still am very paranoid. Along with that I have been experiencing left side rib cage pain and discomfort and tenderness in between my left rib cage and left hip . The pain also extends down my left thigh and knee and shin even my foot. Some days its okay and other days its is painful. I too experience right side pain but very mild to my left. I also have very emotional days and feel depressed and not forgetting the anxiety too. I am also very forgetful and have double vision at times. I also tend to stress alot. I would just like to know if anyone else experiences all these symptoms. I seem to overthink it alot as it is only on my left side.
Left side of neck, shoulder, shoulder blade (upper back), arm right down to elbow wrist and fingers, lower back, hip, buttock, thigh, knee and even foot!! All pain in on the left. Anyone experiencing this??

Yes, most of my pain is on left now. I get pain on right once in awhile but the left hip, groin, butt, ribs are worse.

I feel abit more at ease.. Knowing someone else also experiences the same as I am. Everyone keep saying you have to have pain on both sides of body to diagnose for fibromyalgia. Even though the dr said it can be felt on left side only.

Thank you for your response😊

Hi Simone,

Welcome to the forum - happy that you're here, although sorry for the reason!

The symptoms you describe do sound like textbook fibro. As far as the one-sided aspect, I came across an answer from Jacob Teitelbaum MD - a CFS and FM expert who has published several books about both conditions - on Quora that says:
"Yes. although only having it only affect one side is uncommon, it is not uncommon for most of the pain to only be on one side, with muscle tightening throughout the body (called active and latent trigger points)."

I know that there is an expectation for fibro to present on both sides of the body, but if memory serves me right, several people here on the forum have described and discussed far stronger symptoms on one side or the other. I have pain on both sides, but it's rarely symmetrical. All of that said, if your diagnosis still doesn't quite sit right with you, there's no harm in pushing for another opinion or further testing. You can also start taking on practices that should help fibro a little, and see where that gets you before deciding what to do next. I hope that helps!

If you're newly diagnosed, I suggest checking out Sunkacola's post that is pinned to the top of the General Discussion section of the forum. She gives some great tips on lifestyle changes that can help in the management of fibromyalgia. There's lots of useful info here if you have a dig about - and if you need anything or just feel like venting, please do drop by and see us 🌻

I would get checked out by a neurologist. I have pain all over not just one side. I have anxiety/panic disorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back