Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2021
Country
UK
State
SW
Hi all I've recently been diagnosed with suspected fibromyalgia I've had few symptoms over the last few years pain in my back lower and middle back...lower back feels like I have a slipped disc but xray shows nothing I have pain in my bum and down mainly my left leg ...the middle of my back is when I breath in deep again xray shows nothing on lung and back had that pain for about a year none stop ribs feel tender to touch also but docs dont seem to think it's anything xray looked normal...anyway back pain has been going on for years fast forward november last year burning pain in shoulder and aching pain went for an xray ecg etc said it was frozen shoulder yet it didnt feel like that to me pain seem to go after my stress levels went down....In this time I noticed muscle twitching which mr google seemed to think was Als obviously panic mode lol ...anyway twitching went anyway well for 2 months started back 2 weeks ago randon twitching all over my body only when relaxing...resting watching tv etc along with burning pain in shoulders and upper arm muscles when using them like hoovering etc made my muscles feel like I was at the gym... aching pain all in left leg cold weather seems to make it worse I mean I can go outside and pain doubles straight away... I main worry is weather twitching is a common symptom of fibromyalgia as this is all new to me ...also let's not forget the brain fog that's a big one to get used too especially with 3 kids 11 10 and 1 yrs lol ...dairy is my new best friend lol ...anyway thank you for reading I know it's long just trying to find more out about fibro really ...appreciate any advice xxx

I don't know how common the twitching is, but I have that in my legs. Not restless leg syndrome, but twitching; it's different. My twitching is as you describe - random and uncontrollable.

For a different thing I sometimes have discomfort in my legs that feels as though if I just move my legs it will get better, so I move, but it doesn't get better so I move again, and so on. This can go on for an hour or more.

It does sound to me as if the tentative diagnosis of fibromyalgia you have could be accurate. I use a TENS unit when I get the twitching and it actually helps most of the time.

For advice, there's a post on that pinned at the top of the General forum. Other people here can also offer what has worked for them.
We are here to support each other, and welcome you to the forum.

Thank you so much for your reply the twitching is the only symptom bothering me as the pain I've had off and on for years now I'll take a look at what you mentioned hun thanks again xxx

Hi sad I'm in the process of getting a diagnosis but been slow with corona Virus, I have been twitching an awful lot all parts of my body it's not like a normal twitch it is quite strong so I'm assuming it's down to fibro will hopefully know more when speak to rheumatologist in few days.hope everything works out for you xxx

Hi hun see twitching is a new one for me had pains for years off and on but fibro seems to have become worse since having my 3rd child last January 2020... pains more noticeable muscles ache when doing things etc ...back pain mainly all the time twitching only happens in the evening when resting tbh or if I get some time in the day and I sit down I get or twitches...hope you get some more answers from the rheumatologist please could you let me know what he/she says about the twitching please xx

There are many Internet sites about fibromyalgia that mention twitching. Fibromyalgia presents differently in each person. Read as much as you can about the condition online. Information is power and it will also empower you. Good luck on your journey!

You mentioned dairy which causes inflamation. I stay away from dairy.

My eyelids twitch when I’m under heavy stress. LOTS of twitching during the early days of my diagnosis, then later, the twitch would serve as a warning.

After I retired, the twitching more or less disappeared.

Since being diagnosed with Covid, the intermittent twitching has returned, and also my hyper startle reflex which causes me to react to the lightest noise or touch.

Lots of interaction in my situation with stress. I’m getting to the point where I’m starting to consider the possibility of stress overload. (HEADSLAP- AM I KIDDING?)

My eyelids twitch when I’m under heavy stress. LOTS of twitching during the early days of my diagnosis, then later, the twitch would serve as a warning.

After I retired, the twitching more or less disappeared.

Since being diagnosed with Covid, the intermittent twitching has returned, and also my hyper startle reflex which causes me to react to the lightest noise or touch.

Lots of interaction in my situation with stress. I’m getting to the point where I’m starting to consider the possibility of stress overload. (HEADSLAP- AM I KIDDING?)
The eyelid twitching thing sounds very annoying! As far as stress goes, it does sound as if you have some problem with that....not that it is you, it's just too much stress in your life. I recommend doing a bunch of research into all the stress-relievers that are available (sounds, meditation, self-talk, self-hypnosis, calming herbal teas, yoga, etc) and find something that works for you even if it just works a little bit. Any little bit helps! I don't know if medical cannabis is legal where you are, but I recommend that as a stress reducer as well, if it is.

Fibromyalgia attacks the nerves which causes electrical shocks to the nerves. The term is spasms. Inhad them in my back and legs.

which causes electrical shocks to the nerves
Hi FibroRN - where did you get this explanation from? I've read a lot of studies concerning the 3-4 theories being thrown about at the moment but haven't come across that yet... The nerve-hypersensitivity theory is maybe closest, but is losing support. One experience from last night does support it tho: Due to toothache I was running to the toilet every 30-45', so the pain had increased my bladder sensitivity, something which I think has increased since fibro. (Bladder & kidneys are OK.)

I have what appears to be muscles twitches/jerks, technically called myoclonus. I'll be talking with my doctor about it soon. It's gotten worse over the years. I've done a few searches and it does appear to be common with FMS. I'm going to video the myoclonus so I can show it to my doctor. I'll post it in a thread so others can compare. Mine occur mostly at rest. They can be barely noticeable to the naked eye or very dramatic (e.g. leg kicking out). I've even had a few full body jerks.

I have intermittent fibro flare ups I can have weeks where the pain is very low then weeks where I have alot more pain brain fog is bad lol ...my twitching is mainly when sitting down or led down resting its not loads but its a new symptom of mine docs thinks its to do with my fibro but rheumatologist is going to check it out anyway ...hope you are ok... its nice to know its common symptom of fibro...even tho I've had fibro for few years I have only recently been diagnosed so still doing my research on fibro

I have twitching in all my limbs. I also have Restless Leg Syndrom and the description of your leg movement sound like RLS. Recently I was also diagnosed with Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) which sounds something like you have.

I have what appears to be muscles twitches/jerks, technically called myoclonus. I'll be talking with my doctor about it soon. It's gotten worse over the years. I've done a few searches and it does appear to be common with FMS. I'm going to video the myoclonus so I can show it to my doctor. I'll post it in a thread so others can compare. Mine occur mostly at rest. They can be barely noticeable to the naked eye or very dramatic (e.g. leg kicking out). I've even had a few full body jerks.
I haven't taken the time to video my twitches/jerks yet, but I talked to my doctor and have an MRI scheduled for 04/02. I've increased my iron to deal with RLS and magnesium for deeper sleep. I was hoping to see some improvement with the twitches/jerks, but none so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back