Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
fr
State
maine et loire
Hello I've been suffering from fibro for a long time, over 10 years, with chronic fatigue, ibs, fibro fog, constant pain, and so on.. Recently had my second acute pancreatic attack, which nearly killed me.
That was in Nov 2020, and I'd also lost 3 friends and my dear mother passed away just before Xmas.. So I'm also a bit fragile at times... However I stopped all pain killers, tramadol etc as I got fed up with all the side affects and prefer to handle my pain mentally by trying to ignore it.. I've got scoliosis, cervical arthritis, lower back arthritis, and all the fibro pains in my hands, legs and arms... So always in pain somewhere..
Yesterday Sunday, I drove to a food shop for some bread pizza and some other items. Got home and picked up the shopping and started to put everything away. That's when it started...
For the first time in years, I suddenly started to feel europhoric... I was still moving about and couldn't understand why I felt so great, then I realised I had absolutely no pain anywhere.
I felt like I'd been given a new body, I can't even discribe how great I felt... But I felt fresh and amazing.... 20 years younger.
Sadly what ever triggered this effect only lasted 5 minutes and I was back to the usual.... Pain everywhere...
So what happened?
Has anyone ever had that effect.?
How could by body or brain suddenly stop the pains I've lived with for so long.?

I'm hoping there might be a way to re trigger what ever happened, is that possible, if so there is perhaps a chance to be able to repeat and lengthen the effect. Perhaps the route to a pain management method that doesn't require drugs.
Any comments on this would help..
Thank you..

That is fascinating. I've not heard of that, although of course we all have good days and bad days. I have had days that were mostly or partially pain free and whole days with pain so low that it didn't register unless I paid attention to it. But never a complete switch-off for 5 minutes. If you figure out anything let us know.

Yes it's a mystery, as it wasn't just like on a good day when you don't hurt too much. It was really different, I felt so amazingly energised like I could have run up the side of a house, no pain but not nummed either. Every bit of my body felt fantastic.
Perhaps the pain managemt part of my brain crashed and had to reset like a computer... But sadly today I'm back to normal, pain, tired, and just can't muster the effort to do much... I even had to go back to bed this morning until 1pm.
Im going to ask my doctor what he thinks, and my physiotherapist, in the morning.
If there is any hope of re triggering the event.... Or is it just the brain getting overloaded and having a funny turn.
I'd be really interested if anyone else has ever had that happen to them.
I will post any updates..

I've actually had these kind of experiences, even for a few hours or days, last summer. Two types of situations: One came from a sort of euphoria, like you say, due as my rehab-psychiatrist explained to me to cortisol/adrenaline, often triggered by less sleep than actually necessary. Unfortunately that always lead me to overdoing it, so it ended up in the opposite, not back down, but back very down. I've heard of this type of feel-good-overdo fairly often from fibromites. And the second type was after whole body cryotherapy. When I first started it I got it for 2 days, then a second time for 2 days, then at intervalls again, especially when we reduced the temperature, quite a few weeks (4x cryotherapy per week). Full strength, little pain (I definitely wdn't say none here tho, as opposed to the cortisol-type) and no overdoing it. Downside was that it stopped once the weather got colder. But I'm hoping when summer comes it will work again. (As a consequence we adapted my therapy to only 2x/wk cryotherapy, but with 1.5h of acupressure after it, my mainstay now, which has brought about quite a lot of changes and has supported me in my struggle to try to work again part time.)
But I love these short minutes to hours - I still quite often have energy bursts when I start cycling and savour them to the full, can even overtake e-bikes, but have learnt to stop after about 2 minutes, to not go into overload mode....

Thank you for that, I'd tried acupuncture but did nothing for me, never tried cryotherapy.... I actually prefer heat, especially in the shower where when washed I reduce the flow and increase the heat and have a gentle flow on my lower back and neck, both places where I have arthritis.
When I wake with locked up hands, hot water helps restore the movement of my fingers, I can't see cold helping my case.
Yesterday i went to the vet with my daughter and her dog, and despite a bad back lifted the dog up onto the table. I had to sit down while the nurse removed his stitches, from a growth he had removed. My back hurt, but later in the day while walking into a store, it dissappeared. No pain anywhere, hands neck back legs fine, so another totally pain free moment that lasted about 10 mins. Once I'd driven home my pains were back...
I still don't understand what the trigger is but I've always got pain somewhere... I'm never like this even on a good day.
So I'm optomistic it will happen again...
Perhaps my new diet?????
Has anyone found a diet change helped or foods to avoid?

Oh I ought to add that I'd also seriously overdone it the day before. My Internet fault arising when it rains or its windy have got the team coming out in a few days, I decided to cut away all the branches on my property that could be a problem, as well as those leading to my house. So putting up ladders, using an electric chainsaw, and my mower to pull away the debris, even cut down two small trees. So I really did far more than I ought to have, and though I did it all slowly and carefully thought out, I did more than I ought to have. So my bad back was self inflicted, but having it switch off for 10 minutes makes me wonder if its no pain, or pain blocked out somehow...

My guess for the cause of your 10 minutes: Probably my first case - stress, i.e. cortisol/adrenaline.

Acupressure is totally different to acupuncture (which harmed me considerably, 9x and another 1x with another doc). It's mainly ear acupressure I get done, "reflexology".
Cryotherapy is also totally different to what I expected: Cold exacerbated/-s my symptoms beforehand, and it even harmed me the very first time, we had to go up with the temperature first, so I also would never have guessed that it would help after that and I'd encourage to at least try it (more than just once).
In both cases my experience is it needs to be tried out seriously/given a real chance before judging. I'd never guarantee it'll help everyone, of course.

Greetings from Germany to France, btw ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back