Itchy chronic nose skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithcinder

Hi. I’m new and self diagnosed. I have all the fibromyalgia symptoms. I also for years have suffered with itchy nose on the outer part. It drives me crazy. I’ve tried everything for it. It’s an itch that’s not relieved by scratching.

Greetings, Smithcinder,

Welcome to the forum and I hope that you find good information and support here.

The first thing I would say is that self-diagnosing is a very dangerous thing to do. while you may have fibromyalgia, your symptoms may be caused by something else or by more than one thing. These things may be effectively treated or cured, but you won't know unless you have the medical tests needed to rule them out or to diagnose them. Please see your doctor in order to start this process.

And a dermatologist may be able to help you with the itch.

Last edited:
I don’t have health insurance
I understand. I lived my entire adult life without health insurance. Depending on where you live, however, you can find medical assistance without insurance. Many places have medical support for low income people, free or sliding-scale clinics, and so on. I recommend that you start looking into the possibilities for all of that as soon as possible. I never found that lack of money meant I didn't get health care that I really needed. It was not the kind of quality I would have gotten if I'd had great insurance or a lot of money, and I did have to pay for it, but your health is the most important thing in the world. Without that, you have nothing else. So please start searching in your area and find out what possibilities exist.

Hi there - I can well imagine how irritating that is, as I have a lot of itching from dryness and oversensitivity everywhere, sicca syndrome, MCAS, but the nose seems one of the worst places...
So you've tried acupressure, antihistamines, hydrating creams and/or with urea and /or hydrocortisone, avoiding contact with cleaning agents, water, sun or other possible triggers and diverting attention with other sensations, I assume?

Hi, I saw the mention of MCAS. I have very severe MCS (housebound) and MCAS as well (MCS is worse than mcas, but we know many of us suffer from both). Is fibro one of those conditions (that you know of) that seems to also affect canaries?

Hi, I saw the mention of MCAS. I have very severe MCS (housebound) and MCAS as well (MCS is worse than mcas, but we know many of us suffer from both). Is fibro one of those conditions (that you know of) that seems to also affect canaries?
Hehe, Hi sdpetit and welcome! 👐

And what a lovely question! 🐦

Not sure if I might be the only one who understands your punning allusion to people with MCS and MCAS feeling like "canaries in a coal mine", because they react to the slightest environmental triggers way before most people do.... (That is if I have understood you!)

So I s'pose me feeling the need to provide the context already is a kind of answer, ....:

As yet, maybe fibro would only seem to be counted as a bit of a "canary" condition in as far as some of our flares are triggered by certain chemicals (like in MCS or the carbon monoxide for canaries vs. miners) or the immune system and its mast cells (like in MCAS).

Here it's less about causes or starting points of the conditions rather than about direct triggers of a flare. From my lists/notes (feel free to add anything I've missed...):

Long term flares (weeks or months) are mostly triggered by
D.1. Illness, common cold…
D.2. injury,
D.3. long-term stress (often hard to identify)
D.4. allergies, incl. seasonal,
D.5. sleep problems
D.6. vicious circles of sleep, stomach/gut problems, etc.
D.7. hormonal changes (menstrual cycles, menopause, etc.)
D.8. treatment changes
D.9. meds/supps/herbs, even without changing them.
D.10. travelling.

Short term flares (hours or days) are mostly triggered by
E.1. Physically overdoing it/overexertion...
E.2. Mental Stress
E.3. Weather, esp. temperature, esp. changes
E.4. sensitivities: light, noise, smells
E.5. changes in sleep routine....

There does seem to be quite a bit of overlap with MCS (e.g. D.9 and E.4) or with MCAS (D.4, D.6 and D.9, including foods of course), but praps with quite a different emphasis(?)
Of course symptoms are quite a bit different, but the question is regarding triggers, not symptoms. Same as to the causation mechanisms, which aren't at all clear anywhere, but researchers are following very different hypotheses in these 3 areas. The symptoms can only point to which condition it might be.

Maybe the lowest common denominator after all is oversensitivity? - Like a canary... 🐦

On the personal level: MCAS has greatly increased my fatigue which also makes physical activity hard for me. And altogether I know my 100s of triggers very well, some of which I relate more to my fibro, some more to my MCAS, some like many of my IBS symptoms are hard to distinguish if they don't directly result in pain (fibro) or in histamine-y symptoms (MCAS). And the overlap between these two becomes more vague when some MCAS-experts see fibro as a possible part or aspect of MCAS (and I had many oversensitivities first).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back