Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
US
State
GA
I did a juice diet years ago (pre-fibro) and it felt great but was very had work to keep up and pretty expensive to buy enough fresh organic vegetables. I was thinking about doing it again. Has anyone tried it with fibro? I'm afraid that the initial fatigue might be to much for me to handle. I can't ask my poor spouse to take on much more around the house at this point, even for a couple of days. :p

Personally, I'm not a fan because juicing concentrates a lot of sugar into one drink and removes all the healthy fiber from the veggies. Sugar in any form causes fibro flares for me. Vegetables are very hard for me to digest anyway, and they cause IBS in me. Removing the fiber would mean I wouldn't digest much of the vegetables, because the fiber is what causes a slower healthier digestion. If I don't digest slowly, I don't really absorb any part of the food, except for some of the sugar because it is the easiest, fastest nutrient to absorb. To me, it sounds like an invitation for a fibro flare in the same way eatinghalf a dark chocolate bar invites fibro.

The only vegetables my doctor let's me eat are ones that are easy to breakdown with the least amount of starch and sugar: asparagus, green beans, spinach, kale, artichokes, and cucumbers. I can have cabbage and broccoli in small doses if they have been cooked down in a crock pot for several hours, but raw they reap havok on my gut!

So I would be careful. There are other methods of detoxing that get more nutrients into you than juicing.

I'm the same way. I was just telling my husband the other day that I have never really thought that those smoothie bars sell a very good "healthy" product because they are so high in sugar from all the fruit. My younger sister constantly tries to do a juicing thing and she never makes it and she never gets anything from it. I think that juice certainly has benefits but I don't think juice diets really do anything. Years ago, I tried the cabbage soup diet and yeah, I lost about 15 pounds, but no way would I do it again! It taught me a lesson on terms of having a healthy diet. I don't have the willpower to last on diets where you eat or drink just one thing. To this day, I love cabbage but refuse to ever eat it in soup for :)

I agree with Siderea, you don't get any fiber or at least very little. Also I think you need some macro nutrient rather than just all micro nutrients. Thought if you ate very unhealthy in the past it might be still much better than going junk food. I prefer doing veggie and fruit smoothies with almond milk for less sugar. And then try adding some veggie proteins like beans, quinoa and brown rice to your diet.

I am not a expert in nutrient though, that's just what I would do ideally.

I've tried a juice diet before but I've found the level of protein was far too low and I ended up feeling very weak. I didn't actually realise at the time though that a lack of protein was the problem. I suppose juice + some eggs perhaps would have helped, or maybe just a significantly shorter juice diet.

Right now most of my diet is liquid, specially during the week. Since I have a hiatus hernia it seems easier to just to drink juice for dinner and breakfast. I actually feel great after that. I'm currently drinking a prickly ear cactus juice every morning, I do it because this juice helped me in the past to control my glucose levels in the past. So hopefully it will again! Juices are great! Some are better than other tho :) I don't worry that much about buying organic produce tho... so expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back