Just having a bad day, for the last 4 months....

Els72

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
FR
I have been living with symptoms including chronic shoulder pain and severely disturbed sleep since 2006 and was eventually diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2015 after weeks of tests. Cried with relief at diagnosis, then at lack of treatments.
I am still working full time but finding it harder and harder to function on a day to day basis. My family know I can't do everything yet somehow expect everything magically to be done! I care for my 91 and 86 y old parents who have their own problems.
My boss isn't exactly an understanding type.
I take pain meds, drops of amitriptyline,and 2 prescription meds for sleep. I sometimes get a period of 4 hours unbroken sleep in a night with all the meds.
I'm so tired, all the time, even if I lay down to rest in the day I cannot sleep,
My pain level has gone from mostly manageable to a see-saw of agony and excruciating pain. All over, shoulders, elbows,wrists, hands, neck, eyes, skin irritation and burning, pelvis and lower back, knees, ankles and feet with a special hellish place for the Achilles tendon. Pain is aching, burning, sharp electric bolts, stabbing, cramping, the whole gamut, sometimes several types in different places at the same time.
Lately the pain level has gone up, but the worst is the exhaustion. Can't think for exhaustion. Can't make clear points at work, get lost in the middle...
Mainly I am worried about losing my job, there's not a lot going here at the moment. My life is already very small, I don't like making plans then letting people down. I've tried lots of massage therapy, relaxation, hypnosis, over the years they have helped a bit but also emptied my bank account.
I'm stuck in quite a dark place emotionally, and feel that progress has stalled. I don't have an energy for a plan... Also feeling very alone with my fibro.
Helpful advice anyone? Or just some understanding....

sunkacola

Very helpful member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
Uni
State
Somewhere
Hello Els72...............

There is not a single person on this forum who would not relate to something you say here, and probably most of us can relate to all of it.
Especially, for me, people who "know I can't do everything yet somehow expect everything magically to be done! "
Boy, do I sure know that one.

And it's not just feeling tired, is it? It's Fatigue. that's different. That's not something that a good night's sleep ( if you could get one) can solve. If you lie on the couch it doesn't help, because somehow it feels as if you are even too tired to lie on the couch! A dark place emotionally is completely understandable and I have been there too, a lot.

All of us here are here to commiserate with one another, to support each other, and to offer helpful ideas when possible, so you have come to a good place. I sincerely hope that being here will be a positive experience for you and that you even find something that helps.

One thing I know from my own experience is that there are two important things (among others) to keep in mind.
One is that at times you just gotta vent! You need to complain and know someone hears you. You can do that here. And you won't lose friends who don't want to listen if you do it here. :)
The other is, you have to do all you can to help yourself.
If you only do one of those things without the other, you may get stuck in either bemoaning your fate or in trying too hard to fix yourself, and neither one is actually helpful.

I wrote a post that is pinned at the top of the General forum, in which I put all my best tried and true advice for newcomers to this forum. It is my wish that something in there is helpful to you. If you read it and have any questions, let me know.

finally, I want you to know you are not alone. We may all be in separate places geographically, but we all share many of our experiences with one another and reading and writing on this forum can help you to feel supported.

Affinity

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
US
State
TX
I can totally relate, I have diagnosed FM and CFS both, and it can be tough. But this year I have found some relief by seeking help with a functional medicine doctor who has set me up with a regimen of supplements and bio-identical hormones to help get me back into balance. She also told me that 90% of my recovery would come through my diet and recommended a huge list of books to read. I recommend you start with "The Auto-Immune Fix" and then "The Plant Paradox". They are like stepping stones for me and I am feeling quite a bit better after only a couple of months of following these protocols. The biggest changes for me have been reduced fatigue and reduced pain make it so much easier for me to do the simple things in my life whether that's accomplish my work, clean the house, prepare my meals, play with my kid ... things that I truly struggled with just a few months ago.