Not open for further replies.

hope

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
Does anyone have suggestions on how to maintain physical exercise, even through dealing with this condition? I don't mean rigorous exercise, but gentle exercises that can boost patient morale. Some of my patients have gotten depressed that they could not keep up with workout regimens, so I was wondering how others have worked around this challenge. Any easy workout suggestions?

I find just doing everyday activities can help, stuff like walking my dog, vacuming or painting a wall. Lift weights and such really isn't an option.

Here's an old article about exercise for people with FMS that helped me.
A Patient's Guide to Fibromyalgia Exercise

I would suggest water exercises. Swimming could help. I would also highly recommend performing exercise in a few feet of water, as it is said to be more comfortable. I am a freelance writer and I have recently had to write on the benefits of water exercise as a form of pain management, along with staying fit. It made me think of FIBRO pain immediately.

I would suggest water exercises. Swimming could help. I would also highly recommend performing exercise in a few feet of water, as it is said to be more comfortable.

That is absolutely a great idea.
One of my friend's grandmothers has fibro and her doctor suggested swimming because it is less strenuous than other activities. She swims every day and says it may actually help her pain.

You can do yoga, and water exercise is good as well if you want something fun yet less extraneous.

Swimming and yoga are two activities that my doctor recommended for me. I suggest you also get expert opinion.

It is so easy to get lazy on this very important part of our health. I know because for a long time I had to walk everywhere as I did not have the use of a car. I was in so much pain from trying to lug groceries home and then climbing the stairs to my apartment. Doing things I loved became a chore. Then I moved to a small house and got to use my mother's car and got lazy. Like why walk when you can drive? Then I realized I was not doing myself any favors by riding all the time, so I now walk to visit my mom and do a bit of gardening in the summer, mow my lawn and clean my house one day a week. I only use the car for doctor appointments and grocery shopping, and getting out of town once in a while.

My doctor suggested getting a stationary bike, which I did. Having it at home means that it is far more likely I will use it - and I have been pretty good at that - usually riding 30 minutes a day for at least 4 days a week.

Cycling is pretty low impact, I like cycling outside for the changing scenery, but it's all the same exercise wise, and all very healthy.

I wonder what to do too! Its hard to do much more than every day activites or walking. I tried a trainer who assured me she knew what to do with people who suffered from Fibro but after 3 weeks I stopped going becasue I was so sore/imobilized for days after each session. I just couldn't take MORE pain! I need something to do that will burn enough calories to lose weight. I did get a bike and plan to use it in the spring!

I started doing exercise videos on youtube. I've found that there are a lot of low impact cardio videos as well. Lots of choices at different lengths. I have a pretty small room but I can still do them all here; so I also don't have any excuses not to do them when it's right at my fingertips. Plus it's all for free.

I highly recommend swimming for fibromyalgia. I find it's really low impact, enjoyable, doesn't really feel like excercise and can be moderated to how you feel that day. It's always relaxing for me.

Here's an old article about exercise for people with FMS that helped me.
A Patient's Guide to Fibromyalgia Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back