Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/1990
Country
US
State
CO
I have had constant muscle pain for over 30 years. Muscle relaxants make me drowsy but I'm still in pain. The only pain relief I was getting was from Tramadol. I've taken gabapentin & Lyrica for nerve pain with limited improvement. I've tried every supplement you can name, again with limited improvement at best. But what is really helping me is Kratom. There is a green strain for use during the day & a red strain which is more relaxing to use at night. The tea of the ground leaves was too icky tasting, but the capsule form is working well. I've stopped taking muscle relaxants & Tramadol. You can research more online & find a supplier online if there is not one near you. I never thought I'd say the words I'm Feeling Better, but I am. CB

Hi ckbmore,

Wow, that sounds like a pretty controversial substance - it's banned across much of Europe. Every site seems to warn about its dangers! I'm glad you're feeling better - have you experienced any side effects? There are warnings about thyroid and liver damage; danger in combining with alcohol, caffeine and medications; and dependence/withdrawal, so do be careful!

According to a recent article on Scientific American:
the FDA is now asking for public comment about whether the U.S. should support an international ban on the drug, which the United Nations, through the World Health Organization, is considering.

The agency’s own position is clear: it opposes over-the-counter sales of kratom as a health supplement and wants its sales to be illegal unless it is proven medically effective. An international ban would automatically require the U.S. to prohibit the drug domestically, under its treaty obligations.

It doesn't sound to me as if this drug is worth the inherent and very serious risks associated with it.
There are far better ways to control and manage pain than taking heavy duty and dangerous drugs.

Yes, it helps me also. I like green Malay and red MD during day. Nothing helps me sleep so I don't take any for night time although most find a ted helps them sleep.

It's a very ancient remedy, and millions of people apparently take it, so I guess the hope is that rather than imposing a blanket ban, the FDA provide the opportunity for studies to be carried out so that safe doses and guidance can be established. Good luck to you guys/gals!

There is such propaganda about this herb! I have been using it for 8 years on & off. Buy from a reputable vendor not from a head shop.

This kratom is a awful substance, my son was using this and he ended up in psychiatric hospital. Would not recommend 😕

It is a substance that is in no way regulated, so you never know for sure what you are getting. I would advise staying away from it because the risks are too great. there are other things that will be more reliable and less dangerous. Medical cannabis, for instance, has no authenticated cases on record of making anyone crazy or doing physical damage such as kratom has. And it can be very beneficial in terms of pain reduction and stress relief.

It doesn't sound to me as if this drug is worth the inherent and very serious risks associated with it.
There are far better ways to control and manage pain than taking heavy duty and dangerous drugs.

I have been reading the forum for a few weeks but had to join just to comment on this thread. I'm not picking on anyone in particular, but on anyone who does not bother to dig deeper.

That is all BS that has been spread by people who only know what they read or hear from mainstream sources. What is heavy duty, exactly?

Kratom is said to be similar to coffee and I agree. It can increase energy and mood like caffeine. It also stimulates the same nerve receptors as morphine, but it can't do it at a very high level. It is used by drug addicts to get clean, since kratom can help satisfy the craving or addiction allowing them to taper off and transition to kratom, which is easily stopped later.

Someone mentioned marijuana, which is illegal in the USA. Since it is illegal, I can not use it.

MJ make people high, which impairs them. Good luck driving, operating equipment, or working while high or passing drug tests for jobs.

Pure kratom has far less risk than pot. While using kratom, I can operate heavy equipment with precision and not endanger even those working close to the business end of it. Do you know what happens if you take too much? It makes people feel crappy and a little sick to the stomach. Take even more and it will make you puke. That is it!

What happened when I used it every work day for 3 months straight? It helped reduce pain and I didn't notice that I didn't take it on the weekend. After that job was done, I quit cold turkey. I had no issues. A few people have had minor issues with mood, especially if they took high doses. 2-4 grams was my usual, which isn't a lot. If taken with food, it is far less intense and less likely to make you feel bad. On an empty stomach, it works faster and takes less to have an effect.

People who believe the FDA and few news stories should find forums and read actual accounts from people who have used kratom.

Back to that evil pot! Why is it schedule 1? It is classified as having no medicinal use yet people here recommend it over kratom. Do you really buy that pot has no medical use?

Kratom has had the same treatment as marijuana and the FDA wants to ban it just like marijuana. There were enough people who joined in with kratom organizations to send in letters and actually take legal action. It certainly is possible to buy product that has something else mixed in, whether kratom, pot, supplements, or even food (food allergies anyone?). It isn't hard to find good quality kratom.

California has decided marijuana is legal here and most people actually believe this state because they are not informed. Federal law trumps state and people can be charged. Since it is schedule 1, it is also illegal for people who own firearms to use or have pot.

Obviously marijuana has uses and benefits and seems to be safer than alcohol. People should be legally free to use it and the same goes for kratom. We all know how well prohibition worked.

The FDA and other agencies have been wrong, misleading, or unknowing, plenty of times in the past. I have found a keto or low carb/high fat diet works much better, for me, than what they have advised. Following the pandemic and what individuals (even medical experts) on forums or comments or videos have shared with their own experiences, or what people have shared in person vs. what is spread by health organizations or media has really lead to some pondering. I always try to use multiple sources for information and I want to know the end users' experience, not just what the regulators or producers of a product claim......hence forums, amazon reviews, and any other way individuals share their experiences.

Natural, low cost products, are also not profitable for the medical industry and therefore I don't expect any love from them. Doctors were happy to prescribe antidepressants to me and said the side effects were minor when I asked, yet research showed otherwise. There are lawsuits regarding the withdraw symptoms due to the much higher percentage of occurrence in the real world vs. what the makes claimed. My own family member has had the same symptom and it isn't a minor side effect.

Based on what I have read here and in other places and my own experience with FM, the topic of kratom isn't unlike FM. If you just go by what the cookie cutter medical/health sources say, you are missing out on a great deal of information and may be given information that is not accurate at all.

Before writing off kratom, do your own research.

My sympathies to you for what happened to your son. As with any medication or alternative remedy, people react differently & to different amounts. My doctor told me of one overdose death in our area, but assured me that the low dose I was taking should be safe.

Sorry, my previous post was directed at Jenny14. CB

In reply to Sunkola's suggestion regarding medical cannabis: Both medical & recreational cannabis are legal where I live, Colorado. I used to love smoking marijuana when I was younger. Unfortunately, ever since I've had FM, any amount of THC makes me high & it is a terrible experience. I become so much more aware of how much pain I am in. It helps so many people I know with pain, but not me.

Kratom is one of the only things that consistently helps my pain. There really is a lot of fear-mongering surrounding it, and a lot of evidence of its helpfulness (not that I'm pressuring anyone to try it!). I really worry about the FDA banning it.
But I take some every 3-4 days (to avoid having a tolerance) and it helps so much. I just toss n wash, but I'm considering trying gummies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back