Left side flank pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Hi. In 2019 I started noticing an odd sensation on the left side of my middle back area or flank area. It felt like a string was being pulled or a crawling sensation. I don't know how to describe it. But then pain in general, even in my upper abdominal area got worse. Long story short, they found a large grapefruit size mass on my spleen. In April 2020 it was surgically removed, thankfully leaving my spleen. I thought the pain would go away. It hasn't. I can thank the pain for finding the large splenic cyst, which btw was benign and "mysterious", but I still suffer every day. I've been to chiropractors, a naturopath, massage therapists, neurologists, my Rheumatologist etc, and had many scans, and nobody can tell me why I hurt. It's in my left flank, from the back to ribs to abdominal area. I can barely sleep on my left much anymore. Could it be a pinched nerve? Are there stretches or exercises that might help? Ugh, at 51, I feel like a hot mess, like my life is over because I can't do much without "paying for it" thanks to the fibro. Anyway, if you can perhaps help me know what to do, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

it is completely possible there is nerve damage either from the mass pressing on nerves and/or from the surgery when having it removed.
And of course fibro makes any kind of injury seem even worse, so, there is that, too

my other thought would be possible kidney issues? Only because of the area you are describing... has anyone looked into that aspect?
I get kidney stones from time to time - always from the left kidney and yeah.. sometimes just a dull ache, other times far more intense.

oh, and welcome to the forums from me, too :)

Thank you so much!

I've been checked for the kidneys too. They are good.

I am wondering, since I posted, I know that muscles hold tension and perhaps all that stress needs to somehow be released. I know more massage might help, but maybe specific stretches would help. I can try that. And/or ask my Rheumatologist more and maybe I need physical therapy? Ugh. It seems to take years to find answers, doesn't it?

yeah, sometimes it does... but definitely ask your docs about stretches and/or pt - either one would probably be beneficial for you.
maybe it is simply scar tissue from the surgery, and massage might do more for that..

Exactly!!!
Currently in tears. Between the pain which causes depression and then dealing with my elderly mom, I just can hardly take it anymore.

Exactly!!!
Currently in tears. Between the pain which causes depression and then dealing with my elderly mom, I just can hardly take it anymore.
gentle (((hugs))) being sent your way.
Hang in there.

@Dimps TheAlien - have you tried using heat - heating pad, hot water bottle - to help with the pain?

my heating pad is my go to for muscle tension type pain.

I am a little out of it at the moment... kind of tired/groggy from my cervical injection this morning..

You might also try a TENS unit. It helps with some things, not with others, but if you know anyone who has one you can borrow for a day or two it would be worth a try. Also, in addition to heat you might try cold packs.

Physical therapy could help a lot if you can get it. It's not unpleasant, in fact can be very enjoyable if you get a good person helping you.

Thank you so much. I've reached out to my Rheumatologist on this. I am also looking for massage therapists. I am not going to quit, but some days I feel there's no hope.

Thank you so much. I've reached out to my Rheumatologist on this. I am also looking for massage therapists. I am not going to quit, but some days I feel there's no hope.
dont be afraid to look into a little physical therapy, either - they have lots of great tools at their disposal, including ultrasound therapy..
Ultrasound therapy can be very useful for a lot of different things.. pulled muscles/tendons, tendonitis, inflammation of all sorts, etc..
tens might help, but i tend to use that more for muscle tension/pain. worth a shot if you can get access to a unit to try it.

I know this feeling ever so well, and understand what you mean.
I think for me the turning point came several years ago now when I realized that, while there may not be a rational reason to hope that this will all go away and I will be back to the person I was physically years ago before fibro, there is definitely every reason to hope that my life can be good in spite of fibromyalgia, or maybe I should say alongside fibromyalgia.

I thought, back then, about people who lose a leg or become paralyzed. Their life will never be the same, and there's no hope that it ever could. but you can read so many stories about people to whom this happened and they made a great life for themselves, by adapting to their changed circumstances and making it work. They lead full, happy, and productive lives.

I figured that if they could do that, then surely I could, with all my limbs still attached and functioning, even if I were in chronic pain. That was at the same time that I realized the medical establishment was not going to be my best ally in changing my life because they knew nothing to do but give me pain medication, which masked the pain somewhat but changed nothing.

And so I set about experimenting on my own to find out what things helped and what did not and how I could manage to change my internal feelings and fully accept what I had to deal with. It was quite a process, and took time. but today I am still the same person, with chronic pain and days when i can't do anything and so on, but I have more good days than bad ones. I can live a pretty normal life and do what is most important to me to do. And I no longer feel helpless or hopeless because I know that I am not helpless. I can manage this.

One of the biggest things is to learn to practice radical acceptance of how things are today. Acceptance doesn't mean approval or acquiescence or apathy. It means that you don't spend any energy wishing it were different or fighting the reality, and instead channel those energies into the things you can do today to improve your situation.

You can do that too. No one is expecting you to switch like a light and be good with it right away. But if you do the work both physically and mentally you can get there.

Wow! Thank you so much for your time. Yes, I do need to accept this. This is my reality. I can't turn back time. I must press on and make the best of it. It truly is a process. Definitely doesn't happen over night. My brain is still thinking it can somehow outsmart the FM. Radical acceptance is what I need. Bless you for your words of wisdom. It means a lot to me.

@Dimps TheAlien , you are most welcome. Having been where you are, I know that if someone had told me all this when I was first diagnosed it would have been good. I, too, thought I could somehow outsmart this, or force my body to do what I wanted anyway. It's completely normal to feel that way.
Remember we are always here to give you encouragement and support. Really glad to hear we are helpful to you!

My brain is still thinking it can somehow outsmart the FM. Radical acceptance is what I need
Not sure if you mean it that way, but radical acceptance actually is the fundament for your brain to outsmart it.
What our brain (and docs, incl. "brain docs") often thinks is it can outsmart it by denial, which we know from experience doesn't work.... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back