Leg pain in muscles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddington1

Hello I have just joined . I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue about five years ago but it has become much worse over the past twelve month . Does fibromyalgia continue to get worse and more painful over the years? Also do others get stiff and painful leg muscles on walking. I am better on the flat but start to experience pain and stiffness uphill and after a while on the flat. My head starts to hurt also, feeling as though someone has their hands on the side of my head and pressing in. Has anyone found supplements or vitamins helpful?

Hello Paddington and welcome to the forum.

Fibromyalgia is not a progressive syndrome so there is no reason to think it will get worse. Except for the fact, of course, that as we age our bodies don't function as well as they did in youth and those things may add to the difficulties with FM. Some of this, however, can be mitigated with the right management of FM.

You will find on this forum that you can ask just about anything in terms of symptoms and there'll be someone who has had it. That's the thing about FM....the symptoms are so many and vast and varied.

Similarly, treatments and their effectiveness varies widely with the individuals taking or doing them. What works really well for one makes another person feel a lot worse. This is especially true of supplements, which only work if your body actually needs and can process that particular supplement.

Now, having said that, it is true that there are some supplements such as acetyl L-carnitine and magnesium that seem to help a lot of people....but again, not everyone.

what you really have to do is become your own experimenter, your own lab, and your own guinea pig and try out a lot of things in order to find the combination that works for you. This takes time and a lot of persistence and patience but it is very worth it.

I have written a post about this and I highly recommend you read it and start right away to experiment with some of the things suggested there. They won't all help, but if you are diligent and do the work trying things you will find some that do.

If you have any questions once you get started, please let us know.

Thank you very informative information. It is the first time that I have reached out for help so your response has given me some hope. I had started to try some things but you have given me a lot that I have not thought of.
Thank you again. I will let you know how I get on.

my son has fibro and cf, he has gone his leg pain has gotten worse over the years, they never stop
aching sometimes he can hardly walk, he is only 30 years old, but we think he has had this since he was little
dr's always said growing pains, he gets headaches daily spends most of his days in bed, thank god he is a
video game player so he has something to do, he has a dog which is great company..and his best friend..
he hardly never gets relief he is on LDN, and gets injections at a pain clinic...our next try is ketamine in march or april
good luck to you all...

Hello I have just joined . I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue about five years ago but it has become much worse over the past twelve month . Does fibromyalgia continue to get worse and more painful over the years? Also do others get stiff and painful leg muscles on walking. I am better on the flat but start to experience pain and stiffness uphill and after a while on the flat. My head starts to hurt also, feeling as though someone has their hands on the side of my head and pressing in. Has anyone found supplements or vitamins helpful?
Hello- I'm new here as well.
I have FM, but not CFS.
I do get some unusual aching/stiffness in the legs, pelvis and hips. Oddly, mine feels better when I am walking, but standing at rest or walking very slowly as shopping or in an art museum makes me a little achier, as well as clumsy.
I like to believe that vitamins/supplements help and try to stay away from processed/junk food.

For leg pain I recommend trying a TENS unit.

Hi - have you talked to your doctor about this?

I sometimes have achiness in my legs in the morning when I get up. I find that Magnesium helps - I take about 400 mg Magnesium Glycinate per day & also a 20 minute bath with 2 cups of Epsom Salts.

But you might wish to talk to your doctor just in case to make sure what might be causing it.

All the best to you!

Does it get worse? Additionally to age as factor, I'd add that
1) longer term flares may make it feel that way,
2) there is often generally a build-up or a trigger for a peak (in my case praps starting from Ache-flares for years, then a continual full flare),
3) it gets worse if we don't treat it enough or don't stop overdoing it (which our body defines differently to what our mindset does),
4) the general condition leads to more and more local pains building up if we don't treat them enough.
But as sunkacola says it is not a progressive disease, it is one that comes in flares.

Stiff and painful leg muscles on walking? Yes, quite a few of us get that, me included. Interestingly I can usually cycle fairly to quite fast.
I often had to put my legs up before, during and after, or cycle instead, esp. if my wife wants to walk fast.
Amino acids as supp & expert TCM acupressure helped this most, now self-applied acupressure & exercising & stretching (youtube videos).
These are also the treatments that generally helped the most, and very clearly so.

Thank you to all for your replies and help. I am trying stretching exercise, magnesium and fish oil at present. I think I also try and push myself and then end up exhausted and in pain. I still can not accept being like this after such a busy life.

Thank you to all for your replies and help. I am trying stretching exercise, magnesium and fish oil at present. I think I also try and push myself and then end up exhausted and in pain. I still can not accept being like this after such a busy life.

I think we all go through an extended grieving period with fibromyalgia, and it really does take time.

We've spent our whole lives building up a sense of self - an identity based on the way we navigate life - and when fibro arrives, WHAM, we have to figure out how to let massive parts of it go before we can start to build something else in their place.

Don't beat yourself up for taking a while to accept everything that's changed - it took me ages and I had to sort through a lot of instinctive resistance, but I did get there eventually. Acceptance can serve us really well, so it's definitely worth striving towards. Liberating, in the end 🌻

Thank you Jemima, I will get to accept a different sort of life at some point I just need to keep testing myself at present to see what I can do and how I feel afterwards. It does help knowing you and others have been through similar and have been able to reach a positive and fulfilling life stage. I guess I am learning but getting there kicking!

Hi. I suffer with terrible leg pains but I also have arthritis in my hips. It's odd you say about about your head as mine often feels like someone has a straw at the back of my head and is sucking it in, it also affects my face. I hope you don't suffer too much x

Hi, sorry to hear of your pain. I take high strength fish oil for joint pain and it helps with other issues eg. Brain and heart function. My head pain feels like someone has their hands at the sides of my head and is squashing it. I also get the face pain. My head only starts hurting if I overdo it. I have just started to take something that helps with cognitive functioning because I get the brain fog.
I am determined to try and stay positive but some days I just have to give in .
I is great to have contact with others who suffer similar problems.
Take care. X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back