Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
12/2021
Country
US
State
KY
I've never been officially diagnosed with fibro, but my last physician said he was pretty sure that's what I had. I have a lot of symptoms, but the one he honed in on was pain when I apply any pressure just about anywhere.

That pain has been better recently, but I am having *severe* hip and back pain. If I press even lightly at my hips or low back, it hurts a lot and feels like it is bruised. The massage therapist I saw last said my fascia is *very* tight, as are my muscles.

Is this typical for the pain you have with your fibro?

I don't know if there is anything that can really be accurately called typical in fibro because everyone is so different.
But back pain and sensitivity as you describe is certainly common.

I have that same pain. What really helps me, although it doesn't cure it of course, is to see my excellent chiropractor once a month. Tight muscles are not something that massage can always relieve, because they can be caused by misalignment of your skeletal structure, and if that is the case massage won't do a thing for it. A really knowledgeable chiropractor like mine will be able to tell when that is the case, and make the adjustment needed.

Just be careful in choosing one. They are not all that good, to say the least!

Thank you, @sunkacola! I've never been to a chiropractor, so I will look around and see if we have a good one around here!

I've never been officially diagnosed with fibro, but my last physician said he was pretty sure that's what I had. I have a lot of symptoms, but the one he honed in on was pain when I apply any pressure just about anywhere.

That pain has been better recently, but I am having *severe* hip and back pain. If I press even lightly at my hips or low back, it hurts a lot and feels like it is bruised. The massage therapist I saw last said my fascia is *very* tight, as are my muscles.

Is this typical for the pain you have with your fibro?
Hi Rhyl,
I have a lower spine injury, so am never totally sure of the source of my back pain. However, since my fibro fully manifested, one of the features of my flares is a sensation that I can only describe as feeling like someone's hammered rusty rebar through my hip joints! I have pain in other joints and muscles all over my body, but the hip pain is really a b#st%ard! Sunkacola's advice is great. I think often, because we are in pain, the way we move triggers treatable muscular, alignment, and posture issues. Also, when we chalk everything up to fibro, it can be easy to overlook unrelated physical problems - getting checked out by a professional might highlight something that can be effectively addressed. I really hope you find relief ☀️

getting checked out by a professional might highlight something that can be effectively addressed. I
Thank you. I hope to be able to see a chiropractor, but since I currently don't have insurance, I may need to just (not) deal with the pain. I've seen multiple other doctors, and pretty much get blown off and told to push through it.

Frustrating. It's about a 6 today, which is better than the 8 or 9 it was a couple of days ago, I guess.

but since I currently don't have insurance, I may need to just (not) deal with the pain.
I feel so much for you on this :cry: I can only imagine how much tougher it must be to deal with fibro in a country without universal healthcare. I wish I could teleport you over here!

Hmm, if you get stuck in terms of seeking treatment, but suspect there's something going on in your spine, you could in the meantime actively try to bring down any inflammation. Perhaps try alternating ice and heat on your lower back, diclofenac patches (don't know if they're cheap or expensive from the pharmacy there!) You might find sleeping with a pillow between or under your knees helps. Naproxen is also helpful for spine inflammation but needs to be taken with something else to protect your stomach. I really hope you feel better soon.

Thank you. I hope to be able to see a chiropractor, but since I currently don't have insurance, I may need to just (not) deal with the pain. I've seen multiple other doctors, and pretty much get blown off and told to push through it.

Frustrating. It's about a 6 today, which is better than the 8 or 9 it was a couple of days ago, I guess.
The US is not a good country to live in when it comes to healthcare. It's shameful, in my opinion, that we do not have healthcare for everyone.

Is there any chance of your finding a sliding scale clinic you can go to? Or, does KY have any kind of state-sponsored health plan for low income people? Just asking, because I have lived in many states, and the ones I lived in all had some version of that. This doesn't always help with chiropractic, unfortunately. But it could save money on other medical expenses, allowing you to pay for the chiro.

Also, I suggest that you look to see if there's any sliding-scale chiro in your area. I know it's not likely. But, when I have a need and I cannot meet it in the easy way (like, with money) I am very persistent in trying to find a way I can get it anyway, for less money. Doesn't always work, but often enough it works to make the seeking worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back