Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
NL
State
NL
I was wondering if any of you had tried a low carb diet, I heard it can really make you feel a bit more energized. I'm starting to investigate more and more on this topic, mostly because I really want to control my sugar levels naturally (they were really high some months ago). Having more energy and feeling less motivated would really help as well :)

I don't only suffer from fibro, I also suffer from PCOS... some of the symptoms I've been experiencing last two years have been way more painful and scary (emotionally draining( than my fibro. So I'm really trying to find more alternatives to treat this... I want try everything I can actually! I heard a low carb diet can help a lot with my insuline resistance as well (another symptom of PCOS!).

I'd love to hear what you have to say about low carb diets. Did they help with your fibro at all? Did you feel more energized?

Over the last year I have dropped my carbs considerably. The only thing is when I'm having one of those feeling ikky days and having trouble eating at all, the only thing I find I can eat is a small portion of rice, plain pasta, bread and butter or chips (fries)
I can't say I've noticed any difference in pain or energy but it is helping to keep my weight under control.

A low carb diet means low energy. That is a serious problem. Try to eat complex carbohydrates instead of simple ones. Eat brown rice, not white. Eat wheat and multi grain breads instead of white. I wouldn't skip out on carbs completely. I mean, even things like beans have carbs. So it is almost impossible to avoid them all together anyways.

When I began eating healthier, it naturally led me to food choices that contained a lower amount of carbs. I was basically following a low(er) carb diet without really trying. For the most part, I have not noticed too big of a change in energy level. I do have more energy overall, but contribute that more to clean eating and just moving more. I am more in shape now so it allows me to do more activities without burning out.

When I began eating healthier, it naturally led me to food choices that contained a lower amount of carbs. I was basically following a low(er) carb diet without really trying. For the most part, I have not noticed too big of a change in energy level. I do have more energy overall, but contribute that more to clean eating and just moving more. I am more in shape now so it allows me to do more activities without burning out.

I am surprised that you kept your energy levels up by reducing carbohydrates. Carbohydrates usually provide a lot of energy. That's the main reason to consume them.

What is PCOS? I should probably know.
I thrive (not well) on carbs; they're just about all I eat. Have to better.

A low carb diet means low energy. That is a serious problem. Try to eat complex carbohydrates instead of simple ones. Eat brown rice, not white. Eat wheat and multi grain breads instead of white. I wouldn't skip out on carbs completely. I mean, even things like beans have carbs. So it is almost impossible to avoid them all together anyways.

I actually feel with more energy than ever :) I still have complex carbs in my diet, I'm just getting rid of the ones that don't benefit me at all. I've insuline intolerance, so carbs and sugar do me no good at all. I've a hormonal condition that really requires me to stop consuming carbs... I've been trying this for a week, and I've lost 2 pounds this week! I also feel in a better mood.

I think sugar was making me feel so miserable!

What is PCOS? I should probably know.
I thrive (not well) on carbs; they're just about all I eat. Have to better.

Hi Cinderr :) PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Sindrome :( It's a very common endocrinologic disorder, it has no cure and it can only be controlled. I was diagnosed when I was just 13, back then I had no idea this disease would give me so many troubles later, up until I was 24 my symptoms were mild... but right after that the problems started. Hanging in there :)

Aw, do you feel fatigued most of the time? I feel way better since I stopped consuming carbs... well, since I reduced the quantity, because I still consume some, but I'm leaving sugar out. I feel kinda happier! You should try it too :)

Same here! I had no energy at all when I was on a really high carb diet, but now I'm cutting sugar out I feel way better. Also because this low carb diet is heloing me to keep my insuline levels totally under control! I just lost 2 pounds this week! :mrgreen:

Over the last year I have dropped my carbs considerably. The only thing is when I'm having one of those feeling ikky days and having trouble eating at all, the only thing I find I can eat is a small portion of rice, plain pasta, bread and butter or chips (fries)
I can't say I've noticed any difference in pain or energy but it is helping to keep my weight under control.

Yeah, carbs are so tasty! Sorry to hear isn't helping you much with your pain and energy levels :( I guess it's helping me a bit with my energy mostly because I used to have such a high glucose level in my blood... I have that kind f days too, ever since my gallbladder was removed my appetite isn't the same at all!

I've been trying to reduce carbs but I find it nearly impossible. I really crave breads, pizza, bagels, muffins etc. I don't think it is something that I'll ever be able to give up. I mean even vegetables and fruits have carbs but in smaller amounts than doughs. Has anyone tried gluten free carbs? Maybe that is the way to go if you still plan on consuming carbs. I don't know if I'd have any energy if I got rid of the majority of carbs.

I just plan of following a low carb diet, not going 100% free, I don't think that possible or actually any good for your health. I guess cutting the intake of processed foods would be a good start, I'm doing that and I feel better. I'm not seeing the result I really want, but at least I feel lessguilty knowing I'm doing something for my health. Plus... I still indulge once a week ;) I just eat what I want once a week, so far this is working both for losing weight and keeping my sugar levels at bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back