Status
Not open for further replies.
terbaer, I just started Gabapentin and Right now I am on 300mg a day 1 100mg three times a day and next week I go up to two pills three times and day and ect until I get 400mg three times a day. Last night I had the shakes but hoping that will go away. I have a headache today can't seem to get rid of but I also suffer from migrianes and back issues as well. I will keep you posted as I take these to let you know how they work today is just a really bad day I am having. I am still at work though some days hard to get through it but I do have to pay the bills some how. I know it takes alot out of me to do my dishes I just do a little and then rest and then a little trust me dishes have been sitting there for a few days this week. Can't wait to have a day where I am pain free well at least can go more than 15 mintues without feeling so tired and sore. I read up on the Gabapentin and they have some great reviews I know my nerologist told me there are four types of drugs for this Lyrcia did not work for me I worse off then I was before and then this we will see after a couple of days.

I am sorry you are having a hard time as well I am hoping you will find the right medication to help you get through the days at least to function. I want that for me as well as I use to love going to Zumba once a week or twice but can't do it anymore I am in pain after the first 15 minutes but I will be back I keep telling myself. Don't worry about the house can't be any worse than mine lol... I don't worry about it anymore as the queen is not coming to visit.

Please add me as a friend so we can keep chatting and I can keep you updated on the new medication maybe it will work for you to is had a 75% rating of good if you google it.

I gained at least 40 lbs. I'm with a new Dr. (WOMAN). That is compassionate. I'm done with Lyrica, it worked for a while, and served it's purpose, I would not ever suggest you Stop any meds, I was forced cause I couldn't find another Dr. Appointment. And guess what! I made it, no more lyrica. I wish you the best.(sympathy too, your not alone!).....
Your problem thinking I don't want sympathy, I want answers. Me too.

KD, im glad you got off the lyrica. the gabby should help you and maybe not have a reaction to it. i was on 3600 mg a dayof gabby. but the law says max is 2700 mg a day.
my doc wants me to ween down to 1800. lol i'm still getting the knife pains at 3600 mg, dont see 1800 helping. im told by both doctors that at that much im just pissing the meds down the toilet. like im not already pissing money down there! they dont know what else to use on me after the gabby. but i will be talking to my pain mgt doc about the gabby and my muscle relaxers not stopping the spasms or reducing my pain level to a 2. but im sure she will just increase my morphine and the cancer pain meds again. i hope this works for you. stay strong for me too..lol

Kdurning, Thank you for the kind words and response. I am definitely going off Cymbalta so at your suggestion, I googled Gabapentin. That may be something that I may be willing to try. I'll still be curious at your thoughts on how it works.

p.s. I did friend request you.... :)

Kdurning, I'm so sorry you are struggling with bad days. I completely understand, as we all do on this site. I haven't tried Gabapentin. I've tried Lyrica and I'm currently on Cymbalta (which I just sent my physician a message that I want to get off of). I have been having some really bad days/weeks. I am usually pretty positive, but I have to say, it's getting to me. I just want some normal days. What is normal? A day where I can focus and complete a few tasks. I've been off work since July of last year and I can't seem to function with the most basic household chores. I look around and it's just piling up! Today I told myself I was going to just clean the kitchen. Well, I got the dishes in the dish washer. Nothing more because I started getting woozy.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on how the Gabapentin works and what dosage you are on.

The problem with any chronic pain (including fibro) is that eventually all pain meds will stop working. Chronic pain needs to have an wholistic approach that may or may not mean using meds. My advice is to get on the waiting list for a multidisciplinary pain clinic and learn all the different ways to manage your pain. These are usually at a public hospital and are covered under Medicare. In Victoria there is one at St Vincent's and one at Royal Melbourne. I attended the one at St Vincent's and it was brilliant. Hang in there. Your fibro will not go away, but u can learn to live with it

im sorry to hear lyrica doesnt work well for you. :(
a doctor put me on it for a month, saying it would treat my bipolar and that if my bipolar was treated my pain would be better. it didnt do anything for me, and my bipolar was already being treated well enough. he took me off of it after that and told me to exercise and that would make me feel better, then didnt make a follow up appointment with me to discuss more options, and its been almost a year since all that happened, and i havent found anything that helps my pain properly.

terbaer, Well got through this past week and no reaction to the Gabapentin yet. I start a new dose tomorrow so we will see that is when the reactions usually start happening for me but I have been sleep better at night since I started taking this medication actually going to sleep and not waking up til morning which is nice for a change. I know I have to make other changes in my life as well like my eating habits and possible a little exercise at a time until I can go back to my Zumba class I enjoy so much but bring me so much pain right now. I will keep you updated on how it is working. I am glad you researched it I did that first before getting it.

The Medical community is being forced to treat fibro, with Lyrica and Cymbalta. Lyrica iis for convultions. It made me a FAT Zombie. I'm done with that. I beleave, the Dr. Had me on it while Overnight my anxiety meds. I was in bed for 6 weeks, scared to death I was going to DIE! No I'm not all Drama. Here's what happened
One visit, my dear Dr. Said he could have his licence removed if I step on 2 meds at the same time. My heart heart droped. I panicked he saw the look on my face and said you can't
do both, pick one! Pick ONE! I was stumped! So anxiety or pain ,,,,, let's see is this a drive through with really bad service

So I came home "tried" to compose myself, told my family, and ...... got real sick, cough, flu like.....but I think I had a stroke, because one side of my face drooped, someone said oh maybe it's bells pausly. What! Then I was falling all the time, I had what's called reverse gait, I came really close many times to falling down stairs, face plant on pavement,
God only knows why I didn't end up in the hospital.
My mind, thoughts, wills , and emotions , were all off the chart! I was hearing things that weren't there, noises have always bothered me, but this , this was frightful. It all was from my brain missfireing this is going to sound crazy, but Who cares, if this helps one person......it's worth it. OmG. Not to mention the uncontrollable jerking , it was so embarrassing
One day while chatting with a friend she said" what's wrong with your eyes? They were moving side to side real fast, she said "it was really weird". So I looked in the mirror, nothing, but I know she was honest, so I went home and checked myself into my room and only came out occasionally. For 6 weeks, and even then still falls jerking
So after recovering I was put on Lyrica, most likely to cover his butt, so I wouldn't siege. I was told it would help with pain, and that it would help me relax.
(If I can help one person.) Please don't do What I did. It was horrible. I now have a constant zinging in both ears
My eyesight has been effective from it. Nice when I was well, I went to work I read every medical journal on being weaned off of benzoes . I should of very very slowly Been weaned.
Stepping out of my comfort zone, I don't want one person to have had to go through what I did.

Last edited:
gM moe, thanks for sharing your story. withdrawals are scary. remember to refill as early as possible folks. make sure you and your doctor are still on the same plan. some doctors dont care about withdrawals. talk to your pharmacist when stopping meds.

I'm planning on going off my Cymbalta, which I heard was awful. So, I'm nervous, but determined. I'd like to see what my body feels like without the meds since it's been so long since I haven't taken anything. Maybe then if I need something, I'll look at the Gabapentin. Unfortunately, I have Cymbalta in capsules. So, how do I do it?

reduce the capsules you take by one for each week until you are off of it. so say u take one cap 4 times a day. reduce it to 3 times a day for one-two weeks. then keep reducing by one dose at a time. you may see a difference and not be off the drug yet. Good luck.

I ended up going off Cymbalta cold turkey....I called in my prescription and by fluke, the doc didn't renew it for a few days. Hubby and I had a planned get away and I was low so I just stopped when I ran out. :-(

It's not been good. Zaps and ocean sounds in and out in my ears. Nighmares. Today is a better day for those things, but I've had really bad pain days for the past few days. I've heard this can last several months.....I've been through worse, so I'll just ride it out. I'm very curious how I'll feel when things settle. If it doesn't get worse, then I was right in going off of it. If it gets worse, I'm going to suggest trying the gaba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back