DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
Maryland
Hey guys,

So I've been on Lyrica 3 weeks to replace Gabapentin. I noticed right away that I got really tired on it and over the weeks, my pain got worse. I'm asking my doctor to go back on Gabapentin, but I feel like a crazy person since they are supposed to do the same thing. Did anyone else have problems with Lyrica?

Hi jlo86,

I just started switching today from 2400 mgs (600 x4) gabapentin to 150mg (75 x2) Lyrica.

How did things end up with you?

Melissa

Melissa,

The Lyrica works better for me. I have less pain and more mobility. How are you doing on it? I take 150 too btw.

I was given Lyrica to start with when I was first diagnosed. And after taking it for a month I was a crazy person with fibro. To me it was horrible, my pain was worse and I felt addicted to it. My dr. told me I could increase my dose gradually and I did, but it never seemed to help and it was weird because I kept wanting to take more. It really didn't make sense. I told my dr. and she seemed to understand and put me on gabapentin. I don't know what it is but there is more to it then what is in gabapentin. When I was on it the worst part was I started feeling like I was losing control of my emotions in normal situations. It took a month for these symptoms to start and I went through withdraws for over a week when I stopped.

I had an awful experience with Lyrica, I took it in the past for a few weeks, but just as the poster above I could swear I was becoming addicted to it! I started to feel more pain as well, and felt like an emotional wreck... the emotional part could also be because my hormonal issues tho. So I am not sure I can blame lyrica entirely for that. Apparently it works great for my oldest sister, but each body is different and has a different reaction to medications. My body couldn't stand Lyrica, but I know others do great with it. Glad to hear you are in that group, OP.

My sister couldn't take this drug either. Her face swelled up and her eating habits were out of control; however she did say it helped with pain control. She gave it up due to how it made her feel. I took Lyrica once, and for some reason it made me hungrier than other similar like medications. I know people that have success stories too. If a doctor told me to take this medication now, I wouldn't take it again, due to how it made me feel. If it helps that is great. if it doesn't talk about all the different options with your health care physician, before deciding on any specific one.

Hi everyone, I have never tried Lyrica....too scared to. I took a gabapentin and savella combo. It helped with my back pain, but didn't do much for my neck. My dr just switched me off the Savella and put me on Fetzima..... A fibro drug in England that just was approved here in the U.S. I have to say...my neck is feeling better. It still is stiff and I don't have full movement, although I don't think I ever will, but at least the shooting pains that would travel and give me severe headaches are gone. Just a thought......

Hi, I am new to the forum. I am from WA.

A pain management team from a major hospital put me on Lyrica for my FM pain, 6 weeks later I had an appointment with my Psychiatrist.

I was updating him on my new medication and told him about the Lyrica and the Doctor cautioned me about Lyrica, said it is a mind altering drug :( and was first brought out to replace Lithium. I then decided to stop taking them and it took me 2 weeks to come of them, causing me to have bad anxiety.

If you google Lyrica though, it comes up as medication for FM. Makes me wonder if some of the MEDs they prescribe us can do us more harm than good.

I was (possibly) diagnosed with fibromyalgia today. The possibly is because we're waiting on blood tests for autoimmune problems. Anyway, the two drug options I was given were Cymbalta and Lyrica. Has anyone tried both and have an opinion?

For me Lyrica was almost exactly like gabapentin, only it made me mentally slower and more tired. In terms of helping with pain it wasn't that much more effective; certainly not enough to justify it's high price. I think it's kind of a shame doctors are pushing lyrica so aggressively when in reality it's just gabapentin mk2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back