Dici

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1970
Country
CA
Hi,

This is the first time I have ever posted in a forum so bear with me. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia when I was 19--50 years ago. My parents took me to Mayo Clinic (I am Canadian) and we made the trip because they were so worried at the illness I had developed after a virus I contracted on a trip to Israel. They told us they were pretty convinced I had a very new illness called fibromyalgia. Over the years I have had numerous episodes of body pain and crazy symptoms that are never diagnosed. But I've functioned at a very high level, worked full time as a high school teacher then ran a communications business and travelled all over the world.
Almost two years ago I retired, ready to enjoy. Early into my retirement I had a crazy fall on some sidewalk construction and fell flat on my face. That's when the trouble started. I started getting very ill--lost my appetite, nausea, pain, tingling, numbness. Started to get scared and went from hospital to hospital and nobody could find anything. I had scan after scan. This was in September of 2019. I was bedridden until December. Then we went south for two weeks and the whole thing almost miraculously stopped. We came home and headed south again for two weeks. Then the pandemic hit. I was okay until about June and then the whole thing started again, but worse. Horrible back pain, neck and shoulder pain, Dizziness. Tingling in hands and feet. Numbness in face. Nausea. Loss of appetite. I wake up in the middle of the night with everything internally shaking and buzzing--hands, feet, chest, legs. I thought the facial problem was left over from my fall, but I just got my MRI results and they were normal. I have dry eye. Dry mouth. It has been so long since I've had a fibromyalgia flare up that I'm not sure if this sounds like what I'm experiencing. I know I'm anxious--it's a very anxious time. I have way too much time to think. We can't see our kids. But nobody can seem to diagnose why I've been so sick for the second time. I'd love your input.

Hi Dici, and welcome to the forum, although I am sorry to hear that you are having the troubles that brought you here.

What you are describing does sound like FM to me, and if you have had numerous tests to rule out all the other things it could be, such as MS, arthritis, lyme disease, CFS, thyroid disfunction, and so on, and they all came back negative, then that is probably what it is.

Right now, the whole world of human beings is stressed. Stress can and very often does exacerbate symptoms of FM, and it seems clear to me from what you write that this is at least a part of the reason you are experiencing so much trouble right now.

If you have not already, I recommend you read the sticky at the top of the General forum for advice on managing fibromyalgia, and pay close attention to the stress portion. I know that when I become stressed out, I am almost guaranteed to experience a lot more pain and other symptoms. There are many suggestions in that post I wrote, and in your position I would try implementing as many of them as I could right away.

The nausea could be food related. Doesn't mean you suddenly developed an allergy, but could be that you've always had a sensitivity for a certain food and now it's become bad enough to make you nauseous because you are stressed. Also, try a ginger tincture.

It's winter, and cold. Don't know for you, but cold really exacerbates all of my symptoms especially pain, which is why I live in a very warm climate. You don't, so keep warm as best you can, but try to get outside a little bit unless it's too cold to go out. (I lived in Canada, so I am familiar with the cold there).

There's no known cure for fibro. But you can manage it in various ways and still have a good life. I wish the very best to you and we welcome you to come here with any questions or issues. We are here to help.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. Luckily we are having an incredible warm spell write now. We're breaking records for November-24 degrees celsius. Like summer. People are in shorts. I do feel comforted knowing that this sounds to you like a flare up. I'm trying to stay calm. Thanks again.

I have dry eye. Dry mouth.
Hi Dici - this is so Sjögren's (auto immune) that I thought you were going to say that... :) Is that something that's been tested? (Lip biopsy, and bloods, kidneys are clues to it, dry eyes & dry mouth can be old age or meds or something else, but are often the starting point for tests.) My report of the lip biopsy's coming beginning of next week... :oops:

You are the second person in two days to suggest this--one being a doctor. I will certainly look into it. Thanks so much! Hope you do well with your test. I'll be interested to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back