Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I know that we have all correctly told each other that there is no cure and that many suggestions such as accupuncture were not a good use of our monies.

However.....

I just got home from a full body deep tissue massage and I feel better than I have in over a year.

To put this in perspective, I still have mobility with a dropped foot and pretty intense spacicity; especially in my upper legs.

I will do this again. Myquads and hamstrings are looser and I can now waddle around in a much more relaxed fashion.

No "happy ending" but I did want to ask my massuse to marry me.

Massage only ever bruised me and hurt so I'll pass on it.

AL.

I have been thinking about massage a lot and its definatly something im going to be trying soon

My Hospice aide gives me a massage once a week after my shower and it relaxes every tight muscle in my body! Heavenly.

Just one quick question....Where did you find a qualified massage therapist? Would LOVE to have one but am afraid I might be wasting my money.

I tried massages this summer. Went to 3 sessions but by the time she was done I was more tense then when I left. She did not hurt me but she did not really help me either. My hubby will give me a massage but he only works on the spots that are spasming the worst at that moment. He will work on a muscle till it stops spasming by pushing on it an not releasing it. This seems to work. The actual massage lady would only give an hour to work on the whole body and not work longer on any of the ones I tell her that were knotted at the time. I think that made the difference.

Hubby is free...I think I will keep him!

Kimberly, I used internet searches once upon a time and found listings for my area, which included their training and specialities. I'm in the process of training Phil, who (And I see Joyce has similar experience!) will follow my directions, lol. I can say no...less pressure, etc. and he really wants to help me.

Jerry, there must be a way to get your wife in on this. There are tricks, like using knuckles or stroking with bars. A rolling pin might be good!

Had my first massage in Jan. on a cruise ship,could not beleive how great I felt,am working on finding a spa around here,think every ALS Clinic should have one,its a lot better than an EMG.

I massage my bad leg with coconut oil every morning, and just before going to bed! I have been taking 8 to 9 tablespoons of coconut oil for over a year with very positive results, and just started the massaging on Dec. 16th, 2010. Within about 45 days the muscles in the thigh of my bad leg had increased in size. Also, taking the coconut oil and magnesium chloride has eliminated my drop-foot, and slowed the progress of my ALS.

Well, that's one I will have to skip. I am allergic to coconut, chocolate and mushrooms.
And Ann, I always called PT Physical Torture. I always felt worse after a session never better that's why I thought the massage might help.

If taking coconut oil has eliminated your foot drop, are you sure you have ALS? That should not be possible! Yes I know I am a sceptic, but um, sorry not possible.
Aly

Has anyone with spasticity looked into Trigger Points and Myofascial pain? Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual, Travell & Simons, 1999 is a two book (one for upper body and one for lower) "Bible" for trigger points and treatment. Travell was John Kennedy's doctor... My first Neurologist used these text books. Phil had been diagnosed with this disorder after that of Fibromyalgia. The key is to be able to stroke out the trigger points several times a day--meaning you or your caregiver would need to learn how. Later on, I also had to be treated for myofascial pain and then I began to read and learn how to deal with the same thing. The use of a "Thera Cane" to press out the tiny knots of trigger points is very helpful, requiring much less force by the one using it than doing this with fingers or knuckles would need. And a much less expensive but very practical book is: The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, Second Edition by Clair Davies.

The catch with this is first, there is referred pain, which the books explain. Then, it requires the use of hands to use the Thera Cane or to simply rub the knotted point out. Some of us don't really have useful hands...

Ann, I haven't heard of the book but do know of the concepts and found massages and foot reflexology beneficial.

I am starting a Tai Chi Chih class with Tim tonight. The teacher is one of the Hospice volunteers that stays with me on Tuesday evenings. She works with the disabled to provide relaxation techniques using this eastern concept with walkers, wheelchairs or free-standing.

It sounds like what I need since my body moves so much slower than my mind . And thus periods of anxiety! :)

Have a good day Ann, and hope the neck is feeling better.

Hugs, and giggles.

Ann, I have done research and for years delt with the myofascial/fibro pain. For 15 years I have been ministering to others who are dealing with this disorder on another forum. The part of spaticity that is different from the myofascial pain is that for me, the spaticity is more like a palsy...where more than one point/muscle is effected and control of the muscle becomes difficult do to contractions. With myofascial pain there are trigger points where you can actully locate one particular muscle (no matter how small) and massage it out till it gives. Which was what I was talking about above in my previous post on this thread. This relieves the 'achy' or painful muscles of the surrounding areas...but the actual spaticity does not go away. Not sure if I explained this well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back