Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
AU
State
NSW
Does massaging sore spots actually do any good? They feel like they need to be massaged because they're painful, but when I do massage them, the next day it just feels bruised, even when I don't touch them.

Also, I seem to have trouble with sore spots on my ribs (as well as everywhere else). Does anyone else have rib trouble? I have a Princess & The Pea issue: if I happen to be lying on the belt loop of my fluffy robe, it's very painful on my ribs.

Hello Akshunhiro,

Welcome to the Fibro Forum. It seems that you have 2 posts so I'm thinking that you are new with us. I'm also relatively new. The number of posts associated with my name is proof that I'm not shy and I have posted a fair amount since joining last week.

In any event as pertains to your post about: " Does massaging sore spots actually do any good? " I will say that my experiences are similar in many ways to others here AND at the same time, my experiences are different. So my reply may not shed any light on your questions but it seems to me that over time we all find out that things change.

My opinion based on my pain tolerance and the fact that I spent over a whole month
immersed full time in learning about massage. Each person and each case needs to be accessed on an individual basis.

Sharing our experiences here may give others a chance to find out about and to discover what worked on one MIGHT work on ME.

That is my best answer and I sure do hope it helps in some way.

All the best with learning how to cope with your pain.

Theo

for me messaging makes it worse.

Rib trouble, yes and there is a name for that its called, costochondritis, it causes pain around the breast bone and rib cage,

@Theo: Hi! Yes, I'm new :) but not newly diagnosed. I've had fibro and ankylosing spondylitis for 15 years now. Only got the diagnosis just over 4 years ago though, so there were a lot of years of looking for answers and being told there was nothing wrong with me - pretty much what everyone else went through ;)

I also got in a lot of trouble for a lot of years with a codeine addiction as I tried to self medicate. Past all that now, thankfully :) am on a disabilty pension now. I tried to continue working full time but I had a major breakdown from exhaustion and stress. So went to part time and then eventually to not working at all.

Fibro is just a wickedly awful disease (as is AnkSpon). Totally ruined my life and my plans for the future. And yet what else can you do but cope with the cards you're dealt, eh? It's changed my life in positive ways too. I am much more down to earth and easygoing now. I don't get stressed about insignificant stuff anymore :) the things I used to think were problems, in the face of my ill health, were not really problems at all, I realised. I also no longer take anything for granted and am much more understanding of the problems of other people. So, some good came out of it :)

it's good to be part of a community that is going through the same thing. Thanks for having me! Frustrating that fibro manifests differently from person to person. Makes it hard to come up with solutions that work.

For me, massaging sore muscles helps only if something is added to the massage, like a pain relief lotion. My favorite is one that has Arnica in it. It really seems to help, and I highly recommend trying it. It is amazing how much it helps.

But, that only applies to muscle pain. If the pain is deeper, as it often is with fibro, then the massage doesn't seem to help.

I'm also curious how massage has worked out for others. I'd like to try seeing a RMT with experience working on fibro patients. I'm in the middle (or hopefully, end) of a flare and the idea of a good massage sounds really nice, but no idea yet if it will help of make it worse. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a shot.

Hi All,

I go to massage as often as I can.I belong to a massage place that gives discounts if you pay monthly.It relaxes me and makes my body feel great.I did find there are a lot of different massage therapist out there.Some use soft pressure or medium and others are rough lol.

So u just have to request the type of pressure u like and they work around that.I have found that a lot of them are experienced with Fibro patients.I asked my massage therapist how many Fibro patients she had and she said many.

I will call today to make an appointment because I was in a flare for several weeks and couldn't go.

Sagey

This is one of those things that it works for some and not for others and it depends on the type of pain ... lol ... it's fibro, right?! For me, a massage is a really bad idea. Sometimes it's ok, but it can send me into a full body fibro freak out - like a full body spasm. nasty. However, I tend to get really specific pain areas - tight, tight shoulders, muscle knots behind my shoulder blades, muscle knots in my low back and glutes. For that, trigger point massage is really helpful. The trick is to not overdo and to not hold the pressure. The advice is a 'good' hurt (so it hurts, but in a way that makes it feel better if that makes sense - so for me it hurts but pressing the spot releases the pain), and massaging over the area in one direction for a certain number of times (I think they say 20, I tend to do 10) several times through the day. Never press and hold and don't overdo it, because that will send you into spasm - not fun. This method does really help - especially the kind of pain that starts in a specific muscles and then sends waves out to other parts of my body (like shoulder to hands or hip to feet). Do use a tool - like a tennis ball - not your hands, because that will start all sorts of hand pain. Here's a link - I think it explains quite well. There's a great book, but you can find lots of info online.

Link Not Allowed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually getting a full body massage for me feels nice at the time and definitely deals with problems in the muscles (like it would a normal person), but the nice feeling doesn't last for more than a half hour afterward. I do have a good massage therapist who doesn't hurt me but also does get in and solve the problems, but it does nothing for my chronic pain. I was more asking about self massage for those sore spots. Medial side of the ankles, calves and knees, ITBs, all up the inside thigh, the top of the femur where it joins to the pelvis, biceps, triceps, deltoids, the muscles that attach to the elbows, pectorals, ribs, connective tissue that attaches to the pelvis, hands and feet. Those are the worst sore spots for me and the spots I tend to want to massage when they are sore.

I wish I could relax enough to enjoy a massage. I just can't because other than my husband I don't like my "personal space" invaded. My husband gives great massages and he tries but his hands tire easily. Like others have said, I love the extreme pressure, "digging" into the muscles by the scapula. Sunkacola is right about massages not targeting the deeper tissue pain which is 3/4 of our issue. I have heard that there are masseuses that specialize in Fibro patients. My medical benefits cover massages. I just don't want to strip off my clothes and lie naked under a sheet. Arghhhh!

I think massage helps a lot to break up the 'knots' and can be really beneficial but painful during and after. I prefer only a medium to gentle massage now that I am more fragile. In my experience, the 'after pain' settles down with regular treatments and that's when you get the most benefit....regular treatments. That can be too expensive though, and that's where self-massage is great for the areas you can reach.
MedicMurphy, I have had similar 'personal space' issues but once overcome, I have had some great massages where I have felt so pampered and cared for. (I've also had some that were a waste of time!). I know it's not for everyone though.

I wish I could relax enough to enjoy a massage. I just can't because other than my husband I don't like my "personal space" invaded. My husband gives great massages and he tries but his hands tire easily. Like others have said, I love the extreme pressure, "digging" into the muscles by the scapula. Sunkacola is right about massages not targeting the deeper tissue pain which is 3/4 of our issue. I have heard that there are masseuses that specialize in Fibro patients. My medical benefits cover massages. I just don't want to strip off my clothes and lie naked under a sheet. Arghhhh!

It sounds funny when you put it that way. I trained to be a massage therapist and "draping" can be an art. Not everyone is good at it and sometimes a private part peeks out. Maybe because I went to school but I don't mind a peek that might happen accidentally. If things peek out too often then I wonder if someone isn't enjoying the peek more than they should be LOL

@Theo: Hi! Yes, I'm new ......Thanks for having me! Frustrating that fibro manifests differently from person to person. Makes it hard to come up with solutions that work.

I'm not sure Akshunhiro if I mentioned this in another post but it is worth mentioning it again.

When I went to massage school it wasn't JUST to become a massage therapist. I had this idea to become what I called: " A Holistic Practitioner " While in school I was working on a thesis of what that would look like and what that would include. It was interesting then as it is now when I attempt to explain it to practitioners who do Holistic healing of some form or sort BUT they are so INTO their own modality that they more often than not decline to even consider my plan. What my plan is has to do with combining just about every form of Holistic healing that exists currently and from that inventing or creating a completely NEW modality: acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, yoga, Pilates, stretching, diet, herbs and more.
I wanted at least one person in my class to join forces with me to experiment with this idea but for whatever reason no one was willing to even try a few sessions. I haven't given up yet. I would like to find someone willing to listen, watch and learn what I've been working on. As you mentioned about your husband being good at massage but not having the ability to stay with it; that takes practice and an understanding of how to leverage ones body. Maybe someday I will find a Fibro community in my area who has meetings where I can present my theory and find someone willing to work with me towards a new modality. Until then I get GREAT feedback about my ability to SEE and to work area's of ones body until the pain lessens or goes away.

I often have this need to massage my sore spots as well, and when I do, the pain can feel like a good pain. But like you, it either does nothing or it makes worse the next day. So I try to limit my massages in time, in strength and frequency (I use a tennis ball). I sadly can no longer go to a massage therapist - that hurts way too much!

I have that Princess and the Pea problem almost all over my body. It is what made my physical therapist suspect there was more seriously wrong with my body when I was 19 (though it took almost another 2 decades to be fully diagnosed) So that includes my ribs. The rib pain is worse on the last ribs on my back and the top ones on my front/chest.

I have been massaging my own sore spots, but it usually results in more pain. A friends of mine (my "twin", since we have almost the same health issues) found a RMT who seems to be helping her symptoms, so might go see the same person. My insurance will cover up to a certain amount if I get a referral from my doctor.

Funny, I often feel I'm half way to being a massage therapist myself. My significant others always seem to have bad backs, so no relaxing sensual massages for them, no we're talking some serious kneading. It's hard work! I can't do it as well as I used to because of my fibro. My partner should really be seeing a professional. I think it would be interesting to learn more about the anatomy and techniques of massage, though, so I have a better idea of what I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back