Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
KYA
State
Central
Most fibromyalgia patients have reported only poor performance in pain alleviation in the three common drugs prescribed to cure FM- Cymbalta, Lyrica and Savella. What with the side effects reported from treatment with such drugs which are recommended by the FDA. A study conducted by the Pain Research Centre concluded that medical marijuana is effective in the treatment of FM. 62% of the patients reported good results with only 5% stating otherwise. Marijuana was also reported to have only a few side effects. The only drawback reported was that its effects don't seem to last long.

Medical marijuana in my country which is New Zealand has only been given to few people when medication was not doing the job and one women avoided a jail sentence as the drug was used for her spasms and pain the laws in the country need to change otherwise people will go the illegal way, to get marijuana for their pain. I think that if medical marijuana is legal and regulated by the government then people will get the treatment they need and hope that we see changes in the future which is needed so that people can benefit and also get the treatment they need for their illness which can help them out. The man made drugs seem to cause more problems then help the patient, and it is interesting to see marijuana do more for the person than the drugs that the doctor prescribes which don't do the job properly.

Talked to my pain management Dr. a couple weeks ago about MJ. He said there are no studies that show if it helps over the long -run as it just makes you not care,(makes your brain not care or whatever) about the pain. Opioids do that too but MJ has decades long tests/trials and it may help with pain but kills brain cells with consistent use and you get stoned from using it. Not so with opioids. He has some patients that are on MJ and also want the opioids as the MJ isn't completely working for them. He cannot do that--against the law. So it is either one or the other,(even though it is legal here with script.) There is a cream that doesn't need a script but as I'm on opioids I must take a urine test now and the MJ-laced cream would show up and I'd be denied my usual Rx. I choose not to kill off my brain cells as I need all I have!

Although it's legal here, sounds like they have found a way to keep many from using it. I just don't care to jeopardize the relief I do get from the program I'm on now. I was in a very bad place before figuring this out- to this point anyway. If/when it stops working I'll need to dig again.

The problems we've identified with the smoked form is that it aggravates asthma, and it seems to worsen the blood circulation problem. It's a potential treatment for an acute episode of pain, if we are in a situation where the patient can sit down and rest quietly. We don't have access to low THC high CBD strains, or oils or edibles, so we have not tried that. I'd like to see how that works.

There is research indicating that prescription drugs for fibro make about half of patients worse.

I know of two people who have used mj to treat chronic pain.

One is the wife of a coworker. She has RA and fibro. None of the typical medications were helping her with the fibromyalgia. She found that using a low THC / high CBD strain once a week helped her quite a bit.

The other person I know tried a low THC / high CBD strain out of desperation. It helped him too. He quickly replaced the mj with CBD oil, which he thought was just as effective.

As a former cigarette smoker with Asthma (pre-smoking), I definitely wouldn't smoke anything these days, let alone marijuana. I know a lot of people claim it helps them, but that is anecdotal 'evidence' that I don't necessarily believe. I'm sure it does make them care less, not just about pain, but about many other things, as well.

As far as medical marijuana, I don't have a problem with people using it if it does in fact help them. I would be amenable to trying it if it were legal here and available to me, but not until I ruled out other methods. Savella worked for me when I could afford it, so I'd go back to that before using medical marijuana. I would try some other version rather than anything that needed to be smoked, obviously, since I plan to stay smoke-free. As @RuralChick pointed out, those on prescription pain medications, at least where she is and I are, are mandated to take periodic drug urine tests, and the presence of medical marijuana could jeopardize patient access to other medications.

I am ethical as I can get and I fully support your supposition against smoking. It is bound to introduce secondary complications some of which might fuel the fibro and therefore render null and void any benefits accruing from medical marijuana. I concur with you that more research needs to be done to have solid medical evidence on the use of marijuana to relieve pain.

I used to smoke until my asthma got worse... but I'm thinking of giving it a try again. I miss feeling truly hungry and my pain levels were low back when I did. I'm moving to the Netherlands, so getting it won't be hard if I ever want to. I think using marijuana is a great option for those who live in states where it's allowed, but f course we are all different and some people don't have the same reaction to it. I advice to start it slow see how it goes.

I'd never smoke it, and I hate the smell. I did find the oil with only the CBD has been tested on a person who wrote a blog about it. She warned that not all brands work. Also to never use the stuff from hemp as it absorbs the toxins in the soil. (They are using it to clean up the soil after the nuclear disaster in Japan.)

I'm not that desperate--yet. I get a lot of help from Savella and the supplements. I have to think DIET has some hidden problems and is a bear to experiment with. I do TRY to eat well. It's much easier when I can spend more time at home. But on days like the last couple, when I feel run over by a truck I wish there was something more to help with it. But I also know this level of pain won't stay up indefinitely.

I think medical marijuana is wonderful! But, I don't use it because I live on Oklahoma... I've watched a lot of documentaries about it on television. It doesn't have to be smoked, it can be eaten too, obviously, but I think everyone knows that.

It is legal now in Illinois and I have a medical card. It doesn't help with pain, but it does relax me. I find that I like the gummy bears that I make better than smoking it. I can have a few every now and then throughout the evening and it keeps a nice low buzz.

I also live in Oklahoma. I don't use it in Oklahoma because of the legality issue. I took a trip to Colorado and discussed with the dispensary what I needed it for and they were very helpful with which type (strain) would be the most beneficial. It helped me significantly. But, I was only in Colorado for 3 days. Best 3 days that I've had in awhile. lol I would never run the chance of having it in Oklahoma. I might need another trip to Colorado! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back