Not open for further replies.

fibromama

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
SWAMPSCOTT
I live in the state of Massachusetts and we recently passed a law legalizing the use of medical marijuana. I spoke to my doctor about it and she said as soon as the system is set up she will get me a card for it since it is known to help fibromyalgia symptoms.

Do any of you live in a state where it is legal and if so does it help you?

It is not legal in my state of Pa, that I am aware of. I would not personally use it as I have seen first hand what the affects are like from friends using it. It is worth trying if indeed your pain is severe and you just can't take it anymore, but it can be addictive and cause weight gain from getting the munchies and could cause you to have less energy, lazy brain.

I would tell anyone trying something new to just be careful and realize over time you will feel the need to increase the amount you smoke, as it looses its effectiveness over time. It can be good or not. Just be careful in treating pain because it can affect your whole body in ways you might not expect. :)

I live in the state of Massachusetts and we recently passed a law legalizing the use of medical marijuana. I spoke to my doctor about it and she said as soon as the system is set up she will get me a card for it since it is known to help fibromyalgia symptoms.

That's awesome :) ! I think you will not regret it, so far medical marijuana helped me to deal with my pain, insomnia and the lack of appetite! I'm eating way better now thanks to it :) It also relaxes me a loooot! It has worked great for me so far... way better than taking a lot more pills (more than the ones I'm already taking). I always smoke some a couple hours before bed time and that's it!

I can't wait to try pot for pain! I've not had much of it in my lifetime but I don't believe it is a gateway drug and I don't believe I would abuse it. I've tried alcohol with poor results; too much pain to sit on a bar stool. Something, somewhere has to relive this pain!

I recommend it. It really is a miracle plant. How in the world did the people allow governments to make a plant illegal? What were they thinking? Give it 5 years and the majority of the states will have legalized medical marijuana. And it is very effective. Learn how to make cannabutter so that you don't have to inhale smoke. Or do like I did and buy a vaporizer. That way you can get the benefits of the plant without the carcinogens.

I live in Colorado and have a Medical Marijuana license. In some states, doctors got the idea that marijuana was to replace vicodin and extended release morphines. It is not supposed to be an either/or proposition. The medical marijuana is to be used with your other pain medications.

If your doctor believe in "either/or", don't let that doctor get your license for you. Seek a doctor who understands MMJ usage more completely.

MMJ helps me sleep and suppresses some of the nausea associated with my pain..yes, the pain is intense enough to make me vomit.

It also helps the mind relax, which is something pain medications cannot do, for some reason. Medications alters pain signal but does not end underlying the problem causing the pain. I think the brain works on the underlying problem even when medication controls most of the signals and how they are interpreted.

I can actually feel better without being so sedated that I cannot function.

I live in Colorado and have a Medical Marijuana license. In some states, doctors got the idea that marijuana was to replace vicodin and extended release morphines. It is not supposed to be an either/or proposition. The medical marijuana is to be used with your other pain medications.

If your doctor believe in "either/or", don't let that doctor get your license for you. Seek a doctor who understands MMJ usage more completely.

MMJ helps me sleep and suppresses some of the nausea associated with my pain..yes, the pain is intense enough to make me vomit.

It also helps the mind relax, which is something pain medications cannot do, for some reason. Medications alters pain signal but does not end underlying the problem causing the pain. I think the brain works on the underlying problem even when medication controls most of the signals and how they are interpreted.

I can actually feel better without being so sedated that I cannot function.

i agree that it is key to find a doctor that really understands MMJ treatment. a lot of doctors out there haven't even given it serious consideration as a medicine and plenty of us know more about the therapeutic effects of the plant just because we are so good at Internet research. great point.

Fibromama, I also live in Mass (and once upon a time lived in Swampscott!) and am absolutely planning to try medical marijuana. I would not want to smoke it though...but I understand you can get it infused in oil or butter (have you heard that?) or you can always go the old hash brownies route. ;) Have you heard anything about when the dispensaries might open? Feel good!

Its illegal in my country and jail term is ready for anyone found with it. The problem is that it has been misused and people take it for leisure and not for its medicinal value.

Just some info regarding medical marijuana. I live in NY and it is not legal here but did speak to my primary care the other day who says he is a conservative guy. I mentioned they should legalize it for medical use and he agreed with me! He said it is not a gateway drug leading to cocaine or heroin addiction. It helps with pain. Just food for thought.

This is a subject that hits me right in the heart. There are two things that I love and get me up each morning my family and cannabis. I quit for ten years when my wife and I started our family. Gotta be a good dad and set the example sort of thing. Now I have fibro and after five years of pills I just wanted to die. This was my LAST option. I have no regrets. That said I must encourage anyone who considers it to be smart and protect yourself, and by this I mean get educated on the subject. Make sure you can afford this insurance does not cover it you are on your own. A good place to start is your state's DOH website. I'm lucky as I live in R.I. and have my card. I am always willing to share info that someone might find helpful. Hope this helps someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back