DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2020
Country
UK
State
NW
Hey guys,
This has probably been asked a few times.
But my GP is giving me amitriptyline for my fibro symptoms and I'm currently taking sertraline for OCD.
Just wondering what people's experiences are with this?
Sorry if it's in the wrong place!
KW

Hi KW,

Not in the wrong place. :)
Amitriptyline is often the first thing that doctors use to try to treat chronic pain and some people benefit from it, if their pain is caused by depression and/or anxiety. If it works for you, great. If not, then your Dr. may move to other things. My best advice is to try non-medication methods first if the amitriptyline doesn't help, rather than going on any strong pain medication which may be bad for your body.

Oh good, and thank you!
I think that's what they're trying to avoid to be honest, when I last spoke to a rheumatologist she said that they're trying to move away from pain meds due to the impact on the body which is fair enough. I only got told in August I have it so.
So far I've just been using heat packs lol

the thing about heat packs or a heating pad is that they make you feel better and they relax muscles which is good. But if there is any inflammation it is not good because it will make inflammation worse, so my chiropractor explained to me. So how to know if it is inflammation in this area this time or not? I don't know. I do use a heating pad but force myself not to leave it on for very long, which is sometimes hard.

some people have said that cold pack or cold water is helpful. I have tried that and was not surprised that it made my pain worse. Cold weather, especially if damp, always makes things worse for me and the cold water caused my muscles to contract into hard balls instantly which of course made it worse. Others swear by it, though. You have to try just about everything to see what works for you.

I'm similar, the cold makes it waaay worse.
Heat and pressure seem to work well, I only leave it on for.like.half an hour and usually by then it's lost it's heat lol.
I think it's been worse lately souly due to the weather here lately.
Typical really 😂

I use hot packs and TENS unit every night for years. Helps me a lot and I have inflammation.

I use kratom for pain and energy.

I never was sick while living in the South. I moved to Wisconsin and my body has been torn apart. My body hates medicine and cold weather.

the thing about heat packs or a heating pad is that they make you feel better and they relax muscles which is good. But if there is any inflammation it is not good because it will make inflammation worse, so my chiropractor explained to me. So how to know if it is inflammation in this area this time or not? I don't know. I do use a heating pad but force myself not to leave it on for very long, which is sometimes hard.

some people have said that cold pack or cold water is helpful. I have tried that and was not surprised that it made my pain worse. Cold weather, especially if damp, always makes things worse for me and the cold water caused my muscles to contract into hard balls instantly which of course made it worse. Others swear by it, though. You have to try just about everything to see what works for you.
I have never been sick until I came back to Wisconsin and I am 77 yrs old. I was fine in Georgia except for my knee. I have had so many medications prescribed to me by Bellin Health here and every one has upset me. Do you think cold weather has a lot to do with this?

I have never been sick until I came back to Wisconsin and I am 77 yrs old. I was fine in Georgia except for my knee. I have had so many medications prescribed to me by Bellin Health here and every one has upset me. Do you think cold weather has a lot to do with this?
Definitely! Many people who have physical pain issues like arthritis or FM find that colder and damper weather is the worst thing for them. I know for myself that is true. I live in a very warm desert, and it never gets truly cold here, but I find that in the winter as soon as the temperature and barometric pressure drop and rain arrives my body stiffens up and gets more painful. And this is not psychosomatic, because I have observed the same thing in my elder animals. I would never move to a cold and damp climate, not for love or money, because I wouldn't have much of a life if I did.

Hi K,
I'm prescribed Nortriptyline, it's in the same family, I'm on a low dose and it works wonders for me! I can tell you that my sister and mom is on Amitriptyline and it does wonders for them!

Hey guys!
Thanks for the answers:)
So a quick update, think I've been on it for four days...?
And it's worked wonders, even more awake in the day than I have been lol.
Genuinely surprised 😂

An herb. Different strains for different things.

I've been on Cymbalta for years and just found out I have RA as well so they started me on Lyrica and a DMARD. I honestly can't tell the difference :( I have Tramadol for severe pain but try to stay away from it since I got dependent on Norco they had me on for EIGHT years. Sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back