Not open for further replies.

Uhura

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
I tried amitriptyline several years ago and can't remember why I stopped. I am trying again because my fibromyalgia symptoms are getting worse. Harder to talk, more fibro fog, legs feel like jelly, migraines more frequent, fatigue worse, etc.

I read about all your experiences with medicines and find it interesting. Cymbalta did nothing to me but make me tired and even that was not as bad as I feel now that fibromyalgia symptoms are worsening. I was once on Celexa for depression and had the worst experience of my life and depression was much more severe. I stayed on that for less than a month. Tylenol #3 helps with pains not from fibromyalgia and not migraines, which means I don't take it often since usually I have no pain from other reasons. Excedrine Migraine is the only thing that helps with migraines although the doctor said amatryptaline will help prevent them as well as help with other problems. I hope so. I start it tonight. Lyrica is a life saver for me but I read many of your experiences and know you can't all take it. Another previous doctor once put me on Gabapentin and it gave me a severe headache so I didn't stay on that. Savela (spelling?) gave me horrible nightmares.

Sorry about all this venting and typing medicine experiences. I hope the amitriptyline helps.

Last edited:
I tried amitriptyline several years ago and can't remember why I stopped. I am trying again because my fibromyalgia symptoms are getting worse. Harder to talk, more fibro fog, legs feel like jelly, migraines more frequent, fatigue worse, etc.

I read about all your experiences with medicines and find it interesting. Cymbalta did nothing to me but make me tired and even that was not as bad as I feel now that fibromyalgia symptoms are worsening. I was once on Celexa for depression and had the worst experience of my life and depression was much more severe. I stayed on that for less than a month. Tylenol #3 helps with pains not from fibromyalgia and not migraines, which means I don't take it often since usually I have no pain from other reasons. Excedrine Migraine is the only thing that helps with migraines although the doctor said amatryptaline will help prevent them as well as help with other problems. I hope so. I start it tonight. Lyrica is a life saver for me but I read many of your experiences and know you can't all take it. Another previous doctor once put me on Gabapentin and it gave me a severe headache so I didn't stay on that. Savela (spelling?) gave me horrible nightmares.

Sorry about all this venting and typing medicine experiences. I hope the amitriptyline helps.

A friend of mine did fantastically with amitriptyline for fibro after years of struggle beforehand. She took it for 15 years, and then when she retired she weaned off it with hardly a trace of her symptoms ever returning. May the universe grant the same thing for you!

Do you have a sense of why your fibro is getting worse now? I hope you're ok, and that you start to feel better soon 🌻

Don't want to rob you too much of your hope, but maybe my experience are a reminder for you: I took amitriptyline for 4 months last year and in me it caused most of the problems you have mentioned and didn't help the pain at all. When I realized (neurologist suggested it) my increased focal seizures was the 8th side effect I was very pleased to stop it, as it had done no more than drowse & numb my sleep and day.
Whilst it did this I installed lots of things to prevent things from stopping me sleeping. Still not good, but better than with amitriptyline.
The other sfx were +6kg weight, faster pulse, fuzzy vision, tired all day, even dryer mouth, -> dry cough.
What I'd add now is if it does make anyone drowsy & increase brain fog you can't self-care, pace etc. well any more, so it'd debilitate you.
If I had to take it again for some reason I would not take the dose my actual pain doc wanted me, 10mg, then 25mg, I would use the drops that one who had filled in for her had recommended & prescribed (actually I think a more experienced pain doc) and would balance out myself how many of the 2mg drops I need. BTW starting on 10mg caused a splitting headache (that's why I then got the drops) and weaning it off in my case went very quickly, inside of a week, altho 2 weeks is recommended.

I don't know why it is worse. I have only taken it 2 nights. I think it is helping.
I still need as much sleep. During the day I am tired but not fatigued. Meaning naps help but it isn't the fatigue I felt before when sleeping made no difference. It is easier to think and when I wake up I feel more coherent faster. I don't know that I could handle a higher dose and hope it doesn't get to where I need to try. For now, so far so good.

I don't know why it is worse. I have only taken it 2 nights. I think it is helping.
I still need as much sleep. During the day I am tired but not fatigued. Meaning naps help but it isn't the fatigue I felt before when sleeping made no difference. It is easier to think and when I wake up I feel more coherent faster. I don't know that I could handle a higher dose and hope it doesn't get to where I need to try. For now, so far so good.
Long may it last 🌷 I will keep everything crossed for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back