Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2000
Country
US
State
LA
Someone suggested I try meditation for relief of my chronic pain symptoms. They offer one-hour meditation classes at the yoga studio downtown, so I could attend yoga and meditation and only park once. It would help if there were more meditation classes scheduled around town, so I could attend conveniently with my schedule. My friend who does meditation on her own at home says it helps her relax and gives her peace of mind so she can at least focus better. She sent me links to some guided meditation videos on YouTube. I tried one and it did seem to bring a sense of calm without much effort. And it didn't cost me anything but a few minutes of time, which was great. Has anybody here tried meditation for FM?

I've tried it, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I have anxiety too so I can't really clear my mind but I do know people it has worked for. So, I would say give it a shot! Why not? What's the could come from it? If it works for you that'd be fantasti and if not then at least you tried something.

I have not tried meditation for pain management. I am also not sure what the concept really entails. My take is that pain management should be a lifestyle for FM patients. I find mental distraction to be an easier technique. In nature, there is no vacuum. That is the long and short of it. Listening to inspirational music genres that enamour your senses as well as participating in an absorbing hobby or a favourite niche of study works wonders. In my case, I do alot of research on religion and the spiritual realm from a Christian perspective. Gentle but intensive exercises also flood the blood system with endorphins, serotonin and norepinephrine which alleviate pain.

If you are well enough to try yoga and meditation, then why not? I'd love to try yoga, but I'm not well enough to even try that. At least not now. Some members here can't handle yoga either.

Yes, all my life. It works. Keep it up. Read my new blog by Dannyo !

Just get a book on yoga and do it at home. Why exert yourself running to class, unless you're able to ? They company is great, but if you're in pain, RELAX !

I really can't say if meditation can work in a case of physical pain, I don't even know how the two things are connected...?

I really can't say if meditation can work in a case of physical pain, I don't even know how the two things are connected...?

They actually give yoga classes and meditation classes to expecting women in the Netherlands, so they can manage their pain when they give birth with the help of a midwife.

I use diaphragmatic breathing and distraction quite a bit. The breathing technique helps me focus on the breathing, rather than the pain, and it helps me to calm down when I'm anxious. Distraction is one of my favorite techniques, and I can get lost in photography when I'm outside, whether at the nature trails or just sitting on my balcony watching the various birds flying by. If the video helped you, I think it would be worth looking into, because anything that brings us relief is worth the time spent on it.

I created an account so I could reply, YES!!! I find meditation extremely helpful, you need to find the style that works for you; whether it's guided meditation (imagining a beach scene, etc) mindfulness guided meditation or music. There are some apps you can get, omvana is one I use on occasion that has some free tracks. Jon Kabat-Zinn is sort of the father of mindfulness and has books and recordings. The more you practice meditation the more easily you will get into the 'zone' when you start so it is far more beneficial if you can do it regularly, good days and bad. Even if I didn't succeed in meditating on the really bad days I gave it a go to keep up consistency. I managed 20 mins during lunch break today and felt a profound difference afterwards. I need to lay down when meditating as sitting causes a lot of my fibro pain. There is also a good documentary 'The Connection' that details how successful meditation is and the various ways in which it works - .

Do a web search.

No Links Allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have chronic pain, but I have chronic depression. I can assure you it helps with my condition. It's more about the power of the mind, and with it you can block pain receptors (in my case, increase dopamine and endorphins to alleviate depression). When the medication aren't enough, I could meditate as an alternative treatment, and it really would help.

Meditation works for some people and not others. It can be very effective if you spend enough time mastering it but I think it all depends on the individual. I've used it for anxiety and found it quite helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back