Not open for further replies.

FiGhTn4LiFe

Diagnosis
09/2006
Country
US
State
PA
I cannot take any kind of pain meds without becoming violently ill. (vomiting) I have tried taking Fenergan with them. No luck. On top of my FMS pain, I have Teitze Syndrome right now, which is basically the cartilage in my chest wall is inflammed. Everytime I move it feels like someone is stabbing an ice pick into me. I am sooooo frustrated and there is no end in sight.
I'm almost done with a Medrol pack with no relief.
Anyone else have this problem with pain meds and what do you do?

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I have had similar pain as in the condition costochondritis, which every movement including breathing causes sharp stabbing pain across the whole chest. I deal with medication problems as well, as being allergic to everything. The best way I found to handle this pain is by using a heating pad on low to medium heat laid on the chest. Try to lay down as much as possible and relax. If the heating pad is not helping you can wet cloths and put them in microwave for a few minutes. Remove when heated but still easily handled and lay a dry towel over the area that hurts the worsest, then lay on the cloth heated in microwave. When it cools off add another to replace the first one. This is more easily done with the help of a loved one or friend, to prevent your moving about to much.

I hope this is of some help to you. :)

Another option might be a pain patch. Have you discussed that with your doctor?

Another option might be a pain patch. Have you discussed that with your doctor?
I have thought about asking about the patch but assumed the meds in it would have the same effect. Do you know what makes them different?
Thanks for the advice. I will try anything at this point.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I have had similar pain as in the condition costochondritis, which every movement including breathing causes sharp stabbing pain across the whole chest. I deal with medication problems as well, as being allergic to everything. The best way I found to handle this pain is by using a heating pad on low to medium heat laid on the chest. Try to lay down as much as possible and relax. If the heating pad is not helping you can wet cloths and put them in microwave for a few minutes. Remove when heated but still easily handled and lay a dry towel over the area that hurts the worsest, then lay on the cloth heated in microwave. When it cools off add another to replace the first one. This is more easily done with the help of a loved one or friend, to prevent your moving about to much.

I hope this is of some help to you. :)
Thank you for the suggestion. I have been using hot compresses and Epsom Salt. It helps while I'm doing it but has no lasting effect. Unfortunately I'm still crawling through a full-time job so resting only happens in the evening. Work, sleep, work, sleep, work, sleep. That is my life.
I am blessed with good people around me and can sit most of the day and for that I am grateful.

In the past I would get sick from my medications at times. Some of them are just way too powerful for my stomach. I am glad that I have found medical marijuana. It is so much easier to tolerate than those horse pills that punish the stomach. For those of us with sensitive stomachs, marijuana is a god-send. If you don't want to smoke it then you should bake with it after making it into cannabutter.

Funny you should say that rollinloud. I spent the entire afternoon researching the benefits of MMJ. I like what I'm seeing and am no stranger to MJ itself as I smoked as a teenager. I like the oil idea, however it is certainly not readily available. I'm in a state that is still living in the dark ages and its illegal. That would not necessarily stop me but would have to discuss it with the hubby first. I read about the two different strains that help and even went so far as to check into seeds. Buying randomly you wouldn't know if you had the correct strain. It all seems a little daunting as I need help NOW. Thank you so much for taking the time to share the idea. FYI, I'm not totally against moving to Cali, I say as I hold desperately to the last shreads of my sense of humor.

I have thought about asking about the patch but assumed the meds in it would have the same effect. Do you know what makes them different?
Thanks for the advice. I will try anything at this point.

I'm not exactly sure, but I just thought that since it's absorbed through the skin, maybe it wouldn't make you sick. I could be totally off, though. You'd have to check with your doctor. Another thought is maybe trying a very low dose. Have you tried that?

Funny you should say that rollinloud. I spent the entire afternoon researching the benefits of MMJ. I like what I'm seeing and am no stranger to MJ itself as I smoked as a teenager. I like the oil idea, however it is certainly not readily available. I'm in a state that is still living in the dark ages and its illegal. That would not necessarily stop me but would have to discuss it with the hubby first. I read about the two different strains that help and even went so far as to check into seeds. Buying randomly you wouldn't know if you had the correct strain. It all seems a little daunting as I need help NOW. Thank you so much for taking the time to share the idea. FYI, I'm not totally against moving to Cali, I say as I hold desperately to the last shreads of my sense of humor.

Yes, I also spent hours upon hours researching medical mary jane before giving it a shot. It was worth the effort and I am so glad that I took the leap. It has improved my life significantly. I really believe that it is the best way to treat fibromyalgia. I also smoked as a teenager so it wasn't that big of a deal to me. Sativa strains give you energy. Give it 5-10 years and a lot of states will have legalized it for medical purposes.

I thought of another suggestion since you say your still working. You know of those band that people buy to wear around there waist to protect their back when lifting heavy objects, try wear on to support your chest area. By keeping the skin and muscles, from moving it will help you breathe easier and prevent muscle spasms. :)

It sounds terrible. I feel crappy but you take it up a notch with Teitze stuff---poor girl. I never heard of it. I would be bedridden without my daily doses of vicodin. Almost there anyhow.

I am ready for it to be legalized in Wisconsin. I am convinced it will help and if it doesn't, I won't know anyhow :) Win-win.

Have you thought of using a natural aid? Like for example medical marijuana? There are options out there, but I haven't really explored them 9I'm too happy with medical marijuana right now). I don;t use pain meds either... I can't take the side effects, but I might in the future once the things get worse (I know they will).

I think you'd benefit a lot if you could only explore more the alternative medicine. Because it's quite clear your body can't tolerate pain meds very well. There are so many therapies out there, but I guess that'd require a lot trial and error on your part. It also depends on how much money you're willing to spend.

Have you thought of using a natural aid? Like for example medical marijuana? There are options out there, but I haven't really explored them 9I'm too happy with medical marijuana right now). I don;t use pain meds either... I can't take the side effects, but I might in the future once the things get worse (I know they will).

I think you'd benefit a lot if you could only explore more the alternative medicine. Because it's quite clear your body can't tolerate pain meds very well. There are so many therapies out there, but I guess that'd require a lot trial and error on your part. It also depends on how much money you're willing to spend.
I have spent so much money on natural stuff it makes me sick(er) to think about it. When I was diagnosed I was working for a Chiropractor who was also a Holistic Nutritionist. We tried EVERYTHING! Nothing works and as the years pass I find myself more and more unable to cope in a healthy way. I am just plain old miserable! This Teitze thing has put me over the edge. An Occipital Block has spared me the headaches for now but just my luck the doc who was doing them for me is no longer available. Have an appointment with a new one Oct. 8. You all know how that goes, starting all over ... AGAIN. But hey, maybe I'll get lucky and this one will try something new and it will work. One must always have HOPE!

Thank you all so much for your ideas and suggestions. (All of you who use and recommend the MMJ, I'm still trying to convince the hubby it's worth the risk. Not legal here yet. If not for my beautiful children and grandchildren, I would move in a heart beat!)

I was the same way when they put me on pain meds. I ended up having to go off of them since it was so bad. I thought it was from not eating while taking them, but I did try eating and still got sick. I ended up having to resort to natural remedies such as exercising and pain management, even though they don't work nearly as well, it still helps my symptoms a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back