Not open for further replies.

dcloutier

Diagnosis
10/2005
Country
US
State
IL
I've had a lot of luck with melatonin as far as falling asleep and also reducing my stress during the day.

Are there any other herbal remedies that you take and/or have you tried melatonin?

Chamomile is a great natural stress reliever. Also lemon grass is supposed to help. I have heard that mint leaves in your tea is supposed to sooth you. I have not personally tried that though. Because I am not a big fan of mint. I try to use alot of breathing techniques as well as herbals. And I know this may sound cliche but I say the serenity prayer to myself. It actually helps out alot.

Thanks for all those tips Libragirl. I'm not a big tea drinker at all and when I think of chamomile, that's the only way I can think to ingest it lol. Lemon grass as well. So do you have any suggestions on how to take those, besides tea?

Lemon grass is used in Thai Tom Yum soup if you like spicy stuff!

Hmm, I'll have to take some extra Tums and try it some day! Thanks SulaBlue!

The 5-htp suppliment I take has melatonin in it.

From my own experience taking that suppliment I can attest to having a dramatic change in my sleeping patterns. I would wake up very drowsy, and on average would sleep longer. I also would have very vivid dreams. I'm not sure if these effects are from the melatonin or from the other stuff in the suppliment (5-htp valerian root, vit b6) but it seems to go along with your research.

Melatonin is great for falling asleep and Valerian is also very effective in the same way. However, the effect of melatonin is somewhat cleaner feeling whereas Valerian is kind of herby which somehow seems heavier. Also, you can take melatonin on a friday evening and keep falling asleep whenever you want to for several hours at a time for the entire weekend. You might not get back to normal until Monday or Tuesday.

While melatonin can really be very effective in inducing sleep, there is a possibility of getting dependent on it. I assume you are taking melatonin in accordance to what the doctor prescribed, in the right amount/milligram and the right schedule? Or did you prescribe it yourself? We all know how self-prescription can lead to some uneventful happenings in our health. Anyways, to avoid dependence to melatonin, you might want to follow the tips given to you. You said you are not a tea drinker. Then maybe it is about time that you do. For your your sake. I mean, I am sure you are not a melatonin drinker before, right? But because you have to take it to sleep, you followed. The same with tea. There is always a first time, and the second, and the third, until you get used to the taste of tea. Besides, chamomile tea does not taste bad at all! You might want to alternate melatonin and tea so to avoid dependence to the drug.

Also, if you can find a body powder that has a chamomile component, that can be of help too. I had one before, given by a friend, and I apply it in my chest and back before going to bed and the scent of the chamomile body powder was soothing and calming and effective in inviting sleep. It is mild. Even safe for babies.

I know that Valerian Root can help with sleep and relaxation. I have not taken it in quite a few years, but I might try it again if I actually make the effort to find it. They are quite pungent in smell. As far as Melatonin, I'm almost finished with my bottle. Overall, I found it to be okay, aside from one severe night terror, that may have been purely a coincidence. The same applies for some "Sleepy Time" tea, I don't know what is in it, but I think it's made by Celestial Seasonings. I had a severe night terror after taking it, so I didn't take it again. Kava was associated with liver failure, so it is difficult, if not impossible, to find. I purchased some tea with it many years ago. Supposedly, it has effects similar to benzodiazepines, and tastes pretty horrible.

Oh my gosh, melatonin works wonders for me as well. I occasionally will take one but do not want to become dependent on it. However, I drink tart cherry juice at night. I was very skeptical but it works! Some brands taste awful whereas others are OK, but it does truly work and help me sleep!

I take melatonin at night also. I like that it is a natural hormone supplement, and not a drug. When I read the book "Melatonin Miracle", it explained that our body stops manufacturing enough melatonin as we get older, and also that it only makes it when it is getting dark, to help us sleep. With electric lights, we are often not in the dark for the body to even know to manufacture it. I have taken it for over 10 years, with no side affects. I started at 3 mg about a half hour before bedtime, and would then easily fall into a natural sleep, and wake up feeling fine.
I have gradually increased the amount over the years to compensate for natural production dwindling, and now take 5-6 mg at nite.

I have a question about Melatonin. I have heard for years how good it is for helping with sleeping. Considering I keep waking time and time again and can never sleep past 3 or so, I should try it. So one question is... in what form do you take this? Does it come in liquid form?

The reason I'm asking is because I got a sample in the mail today of Nature Made VitaMelts in the Energy formula of B12. It's Mixed Berry flavor and quite good. I see on the coupon they sent that a "sleep" formula is also available in chocolate mint flavor and it is Melatonin. These are very small melts... I'm having trouble imagining a small melt that tastes like chocolate mint would/could be effective. Anyone have thoughts on that?

I have a question about Melatonin. I have heard for years how good it is for helping with sleeping. Considering I keep waking time and time again and can never sleep past 3 or so, I should try it. So one question is... in what form do you take this? Does it come in liquid form?

The melatonin I take is in the form of a small white tablet. I put it under my tongue til it dissolves (about two minutes usually). It is orange flavored but I can barely taste it. I highly believe they do sell it in liquid form in which you put some drops on your tongue. It is relatively cheap which is very beneficial as well :)

The melatonin I take is in the form of a small white tablet. I put it under my tongue til it dissolves (about two minutes usually). It is orange flavored but I can barely taste it. I highly believe they do sell it in liquid form in which you put some drops on your tongue. It is relatively cheap which is very beneficial as well :)

Ah, another sublingual! Well that's certainly good to know because taking pills isn't one of my favorite things to do. I'll have to check all this out when I go to the store on Saturday.

It surprises me to hear that something so effective for so many people isn't very expensive, too! Are there any possible side effects, do you know? If not, no biggie, I'll just google it... but I was here and the question came up, so I asked it. :smile:

I just take the plain little pill, but I have had the orange one before, and just chewed it up and swallowed it. If you take more than you need, you might wake up a little sleepy, but since it is a natural hormone, and not a drug, it is not addictive, and there are no side effects. I suggest starting with 3 mg, and take it about a half hour before you are going to go to bed, and you should start feeling drowsy by bedtime, but not drugged, just naturally sleepy. I have never had any problem with nightmares. I occasionally have a bad dream, but it is not like the melatonin causes me to have more of them, in fact, I usually sleep soundly.
It is also an anti-aging hormone, so you may have other benefits from taking it. There is a great book, called "the Melatonin Miracle", and it explains all about the health benefits in great detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back