sunkacola

Forum Supporter
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello all, I have pretty much decided to get a memory foam mattress topper for my bed, to see if it will help me to wake up in less pain and exhaustion each morning. Going online to read about them is overwhelming.

While I know I will have to settle in and do the research and make a decision myself, I am wondering if anyone has recommendations.

I am interested in something that might have cooling properties, as I live in a very warm climate. And, I am a pretty lightweight person at 107 pounds. Some of the toppers I have seen online so far say they are best for people over 130lb, although I don't know why since I know nothing about memory foam. Others say best for side sleepers, back sleepers, and so on. I sleep in all kinds of positions trying to get comfortable, although usually not on my back.

Any words of advice would be appreciated if you have one or have experienced good or not so good things about certain brands or types.
Thanks.

I am bumping this up, in case someone might be willing to reply to this. does anyone out there have memory foam and can recommend brands?

Hi Sunkacola,

I replied briefly on another topic - I know you saw it, but will drop it here in case anyone else is following with curiosity!

I bought a double memory foam/viscogel mattress topper for around 200$ which was absolutely transformative - I had been finding lying in bed almost too painful to bear before the topper arrived, but have had much better rest since! Viscogel is a type of microgel which is designed to stay cool, while of course memory foam shapes to your body. I bought a brand called Senso G, but I don't think it's available outside of Europe. I couldn't afford a big-brand topper, so I just trawled through reviews to find something that seemed like a good deal. Definitely worth it in my opinion!

I just had a look back at the specs to see if anything else would help you figure out what you need! My memory foam topper is apparently 75 Kgs/m3 - I'm around 140lb, so being as teeny as you are, you might not need this much density! I'm sure though that even the same topper would be fine for someone lighter. With body heat, they do mould really well.

My one has 3.5cm viscoelastic memory foam and 1.5cm microgel - for cooling - so only 5cm thick plus the cover. I shift around like crazy in the night, so it seems to be fine for all positions!

I hope that helps :)

Last edited:
Thanks much, Jemima. I couldn't find the post where you put this so I appreciate seeing it again. I am hoping some others who have them will respond as well; it's hard to know which one to get. :)

Thanks much, Jemima. I couldn't find the post where you put this so I appreciate seeing it again. I am hoping some others who have them will respond as well; it's hard to know which one to get. :)
I remember being incredibly confused when I was researching them, so I totally get where you're coming from!

Sorry, can't help here, @sunkacola, but I've heard good reports of memory foam toppers and pillows, but a lot of personal differences.
For myself it definitely was a big difference changing my bed stuff, putting a soft topper on my hard straw mattress, and now I use 3 pillows. My fundamental prerequisite for my body "system" however is: no synthetics anywhere, as much (organic) cotton as possible.
(Even more OT - off topic: And after sleeping badly because of the strange smell (artificial and irritating) after my wife had washed the bed clothes, she now uses the ecological / "sensitive" washing liquid I'd always wanted her to or use myself when I do the washing.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back