Status
Not open for further replies.
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
I was just reading "glens" post and this prompted my question: I have a HORRIBLE memory, I can't even remember stuff about my own children when they were growing up! I also have terrible short-term memory too.

Could it be the antidepressants or is it fm, or, probably both?

I was just reading "glens" post and this prompted my question: I have a HORRIBLE memory, I can't even remember stuff about my own children when they were growing up! I also have terrible short-term memory too.

Could it be the antidepressants or is it fm, or, probably both?

I'm afraid there's absolutely no way to know this for sure. You're right when you said it could be either, but no one including doctors can answer that question without a little experimenting. So what do I mean by that? I suspect that to be sure, it would mean they'd have to stop or change the antidepressants. I'm not sure if that would be a good trade-off just to know why your memory is bad.

I think that it's maybe a bit of both, but as mariposa said you can't know for sure. I don't think the experiments are worth it as long as you wouldn't be taking the meds you need.

Since I don't take antidepressants and my memory is terrible too, I think fibro has a lot to do with it. It seems that all systems that you count on each day to manage the days are messed up. I only remember what day it is by crossing off days on a calender and with my computers help. I can't do math when it comes to making change so I can not be a clerk in a store. I can not remember how to spell out peoples names and can not hear on the telephone when people talk fast, so telemarketing is out. I don't remember birthdays or other special days without writing everything down. so ladies and gents, I am in the same boat as you.
But I can write online and I can do simple photography. So I keep busy and try not to worry to much about something I can't fix. What say you?
:)

I was thinking about keeping a diary or a blog, this way you can also focus on something else besides your condition.

I am a long time researcher on FM. One of the common symtoms of FM is memory loss and I can say that for sure because it showed up long before I was placed on amitriptylin for brain tremors and insomia and not for depression because I was not depressed.

Memory loss is probably one of the most frustrating symptoms I have encountered in my FM and or/ medication. I used to be able to give speeches, carry on long-winded conversations, and really engage with people. Luckily, I finished college about a year before my major onslaught of symptoms. Now I don't think I could ever make my brain work right!

Now I feel like I "tunnel-out" and lose my train of thought. I'll often stop mid-sentence, completely forgetting what I was even discussing. It's very embarassing. It takes so much effort and brain power for me to carry out the most simple tasks. Anyone else feel this way?

I agree with 1SWEED. Even tho I take anti depressants too, I think its the fibro. That "fibro fog" is real. It is extremely difficult to keep things together...you just have to have very good systems in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back