Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL Love your stories Willow. :)

Glad if you had a chuckle...Forgetmenots' post yesterday under RANDOM ACTS made me laugh so much too.

I am sorry that you all are having these troubles, and that I am laughing with you. I have this situation too. My daughter the Occupation Therapist has a fifty dollar word for it, but guess what? I can't remember it either! Lol! I was talking with my other daughter and meant to say pounds and said dollars instead. In context it was hilarious! She has MS so she understands brain fog. Just have to maintain our sense of humor I guess :)

LOL LisaMarie,
I used to teach special education so had to learn that term but had forgotten it too. I just had to look it up. It was really bugging me. The word is dysnomia or aphasia. and it is a memory storage disorder. You brain learns the word and just places it randomly in your memory storage. When you go to recall the word your brain cannot find it right away because it is not where it should be. That is why you usually remember it later that night or the next day, because though you have given up your brain has not and it continues to check your memory for the answer!

Medical Names:

anomia
dysnomia
anomic aphasia

Anomia is the inability to come up with the names of objects, places, and people. To some degree this happens to all of us as we age. However, individuals whom experience some type of brain trauma may encounter this difficulty on a regular basis.

Dysnomia is also a term used to identify individuals with specific naming difficulties. Both, anomia and dysnomia are deficits associated with the inability to correctly label objects.

Anomic Aphasia: This term refers to word finding problems as a type of aphasia.

The typical characteristics of anomic aphasia are:

Trouble using correct names for people, places, or things

Speaking hesitantly because of difficulty naming words

Grammatical skills are unaffected

Comprehension is normal

Difficulty finding words may be evident in writing as well as speech

Reading ability may be impaired

Having knowledge of what to do with an object, but still unable to name to the object

Severity levels vary from one person to another

now that sounds like me! I also set my clothes out the night before and forgot I did that and go through my entire wardrobe in a panic if i am to be somewhere in the morning. i actually just watched the movie something Alice...she is a professor and it´s based on a true story of someone younger than the average developing a rare case of earlu onset..late forties, early to mid fifties and i was grabbing my husbands arm thinking omg! i have alzheimers. is can be funny and ridiculous but considering it i worsening i am a bit concerned now/andee

LOL LisaMarie,
I used to teach special education so had to learn that term but had forgotten it too. I just had to look it up. It was really bugging me. The word is dysnomia or aphasia. and it is a memory storage disorder. You brain learns the word and just places it randomly in your memory storage. When you go to recall the word your brain cannot find it right away because it is not where it should be. That is why you usually remember it later that night or the next day, because though you have given up your brain has not and it continues to check your memory for the answer!

Medical Names:

anomia
dysnomia
anomic aphasia

Anomia is the inability to come up with the names of objects, places, and people. To some degree this happens to all of us as we age. However, individuals whom experience some type of brain trauma may encounter this difficulty on a regular basis.

Dysnomia is also a term used to identify individuals with specific naming difficulties. Both, anomia and dysnomia are deficits associated with the inability to correctly label objects.

Anomic Aphasia: This term refers to word finding problems as a type of aphasia.

The typical characteristics of anomic aphasia are:

Trouble using correct names for people, places, or things

Speaking hesitantly because of difficulty naming words

Grammatical skills are unaffected

Comprehension is normal

Difficulty finding words may be evident in writing as well as speech

Reading ability may be impaired

Having knowledge of what to do with an object, but still unable to name to the object

Severity levels vary from one person to another
is stuttering part of it for some?

Yes that is the word(s) Cherylann. Lol! Thanks;-)

Wow... so nice to find I'm not alone on this! I will get irritated that something isn't done and be told, remember you said not to worry about it or you would do it... and i have to look at them and say, uh nope...no idea what you mean. This is newer to me over the last few weeks and i feel like I'm going crazy! I will do the same as some posts above, start a sentence and forget what i was saying while the other person looks at me and says, and? And i say and what? They say you were saying blah blah blah... and i have to say, no idea what you mean.... soooooo frustrating.... Need to figure out an herb or something to get my memory back... this isn't going to work for me... any suggestions of anything that helps memory loss?

You know, Wedding/ Funeral are the words I think I screw up most. If I am talking about a funeral, I say wedding instead. wtf? Maybe its a wedding to God. I did it today. {shakes head} lol

I always say 'whats-its-name' when I'm talking about something and can't remember. It's like I expect everyone else to know lol. My daughter always says how am I supposed to know what that means and we burst out laughing.

it's weird the way your mind plays tricks or grabs onto things. i keep calling my doctor by the name of my last gp, who dies about 10 years ago. even refer to him that way to family and friends. then i think, catch myself, and correct. seems it's easier for the brain to hold onto the older stuff, at least for me.

I completely understand. Your not stuiped! Fibro just hyjacted a word. It will come back, unfortunately not nessasarly exactly when we need it. You will get to a place where you know the signs / symptoms that may be more vulnerable that day. Guessing that's a victory on my /our part.
For instance if I feel clumsy. Tripping over stuff, I give myself grace, hang onto railings.
If I'm feeling forgetful one day, that's when I don't engage in convrsations. No one really listen s anyway.
Oh gees I sound like eore, sp? Trying to catch up with Tigger on Winnie the poo.
One other hint on foggy days, set a timer when cooking. I do along with a prayer...."oh God don't let me forget the elements on". It usually works. Lol.
I also definitely know when I'm exausted from stress, and in that case it does No one good, especially me to force myself into a bad place.
I should write this down somewhere so I don't forget. LOL OF
Grow where your planted, even if it's in bed, or on the couch.

Iv e heard Ginkgo Biola is good for memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back