Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Arkansas
Grab a snack this could take a while.

I'm 38 years old. Male. A Medically Retired Navy Helicopter mechanic. I have had two microdiscectomy/laminectomy surgeries along with the removal of disk material from L4-L5 and L5-S1. I suffer from chronic back and leg pain and have since 1995 when I and another sailor were carrying a roughly 3 to 400lb. steel tool/parts cabinet up several steps when the other sailor slipped resulting in me attempting to bare the entire weight until my back popped and I collapsed. Was told that I tore and sprained some muscle but that I was alright otherwise. 5 years later they perform an MRI and CT scan and discover I had to severely ruptured disk and nerve impingement. 2 surgeries later and little to no relief they opt for spinal cord stimulator implant. At the time it gave me relief I have not gotten except with high dose narcotic/ beta blocker/anti seizure medication. I was medically retired in 2011 due to me being non-deploy-able.

Throughout my carer I have suffered from bouts of depression, although I did not realize or want to admit (who Knows) it. Some were not obvious and other times it was all consuming.

Together with the combination of the two (pain and depression) and the Stress of fighting everyday to fulfill my duties and everyday life I had noticed a gradual but progressively worsening change in my personality, temper, pain threshold, level of concentration, mood control, stamina, insomnia, memory, my hands shake badly and overall well being. I have been holding on by threads. The strongest threads being my wife and children and my Love and responsibilities to them.

Around 2008 or 9 I began to notice a noticeable increase in pain throughout my entire body. This new and increasing pain was as different as black and white from my back and leg pain. A color of its own and something I attributed to over exertion and lack of exercise due to my back problems and weight gain. So I accepted it as normal and what I should expect from now on.These symptoms are only the major ones.

Over the last 4 or 5 years it seems as I am falling apart. Severe Carpal tunnel in my right hand moderate to severe in my left. Plantar fasciitis in both feet. All over body cramping and burning, stinging throbbing pain in my muscles and around my joints. I fear it is arthritis. I have terrible acid reflux and headaches that last for hours if not days. My depression is tearing my relationship with my family apart. My work is suffering more and more. I sleep maybe on average 2 to 3 hours a night until I am completely exhausted and then I do not sleep with out waking constantly. Every morning I am so stiff that I have to get out of bed and stretch and move about for an hour or more before I feel my body loosen up some. There are times I have to slide off the bed and crawl into another room so not to wake my wife.

Stereotypical hypochondriac if I were to read this post. I fee that way. I feel that it can't be this bad. I can not be this messed up! How can I be any good for my family or job if this is how every day life will always be.

In May of this year while at work I was found sitting in a daze. Apparently I was in a state of confusion. I knew who I was and where I was but not what day or time it was. I did not know what I had been doing or what I was supposed to be doing. I was taken to the ER for a possible seizure, stroke or heart attack. I was released with a diagnosis of dehydration or water toxicity due to excessive water intake. (which doesn't sound right) I drink about 120 oz. a day winter or summer. I am always thirsty and have tested negative for diabetes. I have no memory of the events of that day. I went to see my Primary Care Manager and he scheduled a barrage of blood test and set me up with a Psychiatrist. All my blood work came back within normal limits. I was put on anti anxiety and depression medication. I have been taking a several different medications to see which produce the best results.
I have seen and felt some benefit but nothing substantial.

The week before Thanksgiving this year. I was waiting on a tooth to be extracted and was sent home from work until after it was performed. At least this is what I believed or decided. I drove home it was a Wednesday and I told my wife something and went about my day at home. My apt. was the following Tuesday. I spoke to family, went to several Dr. apts. and drove to have my tooth removed. Upon returning to work I was filled in on some disturbing information. I was not sent home because my tooth was preventing me from working. I was told that I was out of sorts, staring off at nothing. When spoken too it was difficult to get my attention. I did not know what day it was. I did not know what time it was. I could not read the clock and I could not remember peoples names or what I was supposed to be doing. I was told I kept trying to step up on something that was not there. I was completely out of it and not myself. They said I was spoken to by my supervisor and the production manager and they suggested I go home or the doctor. Apparently I agreed and clocked out while they were arranging a ride for me and I got in my truck and drove home. I did not believe them. I did not want to believe them. I went home and contacted my Dr.s I worked part of the next two days and was sent home until I had some answers from my Dr.

My psychiatrist modified my medication and gave me some test. I failed some of the memory test and have been advised not to drive and to stay home from work until tet can be done.

I am awaiting an EEG and a CT scan with neurology. I see them this Thursday.

This has been very hard for me to write. I can not not keep track of everything. I have to ask my wife repeatedly for details.

I am only able to put this out there because none of you know me, I do not have to look you in the eye and feel as ashamed as I do that I am so helpless right now. I have been crying uncontrollably, for no specific reason. I am crying now and hide from my wife and children so not to upset them. How can they feel secure when I am falling apart. How can I provide for them when I have no confidence in myself. To hurt all over, all the time and find no real relief is tearing me to pieces.

It was suggested to me that I might have Fibromyalgia by a friend. So I asked my doctors. and was told that men don't have Fibro. They are telling me that they feel this is psychiatric. And that is how they are proceeding with finding the causes.

So if Men don't get Fibromyalgia then what is wrong with m?. I can't keep living in this fog. My wife and children deserve more!

Am I going crazy?

Help!

I am sorry if this was long and drawn out, if I did not always stay on track with my train of thought. My concentration and memory are so bad and getting worse.

Last edited:

I'm 38 years old. Male. A Medically Retired Navy Helicopter mechanic. I have had two microdiscectomy/laminectomy surgeries along with the removal of disk material from L4-L5 and L5-S1. I suffer from chronic back and leg pain and have since 1995 when I and another sailor were carrying a roughly 3 to 400lb. steel tool/parts cabinet up several steps when the other sailor slipped resulting in me attempting to bare the entire weight until my back popped and I collapsed. Was told that I tore and sprained some muscle but that I was alright otherwise. 5 years later they perform an MRI and CT scan and discover I had to severely ruptured disk and nerve impingement. 2 surgeries later and little to no relief they opt for spinal cord stimulator implant. At the time it gave me relief I have not gotten except with high dose narcotic/ beta blocker/anti seizure medication. I was medically retired in 2011 due to me being non-deploy-able.

Throughout my carer I have suffered from bouts of depression, although I did not realize or want to admit (who Knows) it. Some were not obvious and other times it was all consuming.

Together with the combination of the two (pain and depression) and the Stress of fighting everyday to fulfill my duties and everyday life I had noticed a gradual but progressively worsening change in my personality, temper, pain threshold, level of concentration, mood control, stamina, insomnia, memory, my hands shake badly and overall well being. I have been holding on by threads. The strongest threads being my wife and children and my Love and responsibilities to them.

Around 2008 or 9 I began to notice a noticeable increase in pain throughout my entire body. This new and increasing pain was as different as black and white from my back and leg pain. A color of its own and something I attributed to over exertion and lack of exercise due to my back problems and weight gain. So I accepted it as normal and what I should expect from now on.These symptoms are only the major ones.

Over the last 4 or 5 years it seems as I am falling apart. Severe Carpal tunnel in my right hand moderate to severe in my left. Plantar fasciitis in both feet. All over body cramping and burning, stinging throbbing pain in my muscles and around my joints. I fear it is arthritis. I have terrible acid reflux and headaches that last for hours if not days. My depression is tearing my relationship with my family apart. My work is suffering more and more. I sleep maybe on average 2 to 3 hours a night until I am completely exhausted and then I do not sleep with out waking constantly. Every morning I am so stiff that I have to get out of bed and stretch and move about for an hour or more before I feel my body loosen up some. There are times I have to slide off the bed and crawl into another room so not to wake my wife.

Stereotypical hypochondriac if I were to read this post. I fee that way. I feel that it can't be this bad. I can not be this messed up! How can I be any good for my family or job if this is how every day life will always be.

In May of this year while at work I was found sitting in a daze. Apparently I was in a state of confusion. I knew who I was and where I was but not what day or time it was. I did not know what I had been doing or what I was supposed to be doing. I was taken to the ER for a possible seizure, stroke or heart attack. I was released with a diagnosis of dehydration or water toxicity due to excessive water intake. (which doesn't sound right) I drink about 120 oz. a day winter or summer. I am always thirsty and have tested negative for diabetes. I have no memory of the events of that day. I went to see my Primary Care Manager and he scheduled a barrage of blood test and set me up with a Psychiatrist. All my blood work came back within normal limits. I was put on anti anxiety and depression medication. I have been taking a several different medications to see which produce the best results.

The week before Thanksgiving this year. I was waiting on a tooth to be extracted and was sent home from work until after it was performed. At least this is what I believed or decided. I drove home it was a Wednesday and I told my wife something and went about my day at home. My apt. was the following Tuesday. I spoke to family, went to several Dr. apts. and drove to have my tooth removed. Upon returning to work I was filled in on some disturbing information. I was not sent home because my tooth was preventing me from working. I was told that I was out of sorts, staring off at nothing. When spoken too it was difficult to get my attention. I did not know what day it was. I did not know what time it was. I could not read the clock and I could not remember peoples names or what I was supposed to be doing. I was told I kept trying to step up on something that was not there. I was completely out of it and not myself. They said I was spoken to by my supervisor and the production manager and they suggested I go home or the doctor. Apparently I agreed and clocked out while they were arranging a ride for me and I got in my truck and drove home. I did not believe them. I did not want to believe them. I went home and contacted my Dr.s I worked part of the next two days and was sent home until I had some answers from my Dr.

My psychiatrist modified my medication and gave me some test. I failed some of the memory test and have been advised not to drive and to stay home from work until tet can be done.

This has been very hard for me to write. I can not not keep track of everything. I have to ask my wife repeatedly for details.

I am only able to put this out there because none of you know me, I do not have to look you in the eye and feel as ashamed as I do that I am so helpless right now. I have been crying uncontrollably, for no specific reason. I am crying now and hide from my wife and children so not to upset them. How can they feel secure when I am falling apart. How can I provide for them when I have no confidence in myself. To hurt all over, all the time and find no real relief is tearing me to pieces.

It was suggested to me that I might have Fibromyalgia by a friend. So I asked my doctors. and was told that men don't have Fibro. They are telling me that they feel this is psychiatric. And that is how they are proceeding with finding the causes.

So if Men don't get Fibromyalgia then what is wrong with m?. I can't keep living in this fog. My wife and children deserve more!

Am I going crazy?

Help!

I am sorry if this was long and drawn out, if I did not always stay on track with my train of thought. My concentration and memory are so bad and getting worse.
First guys do get fibro or else non of us would be here. Second you are not crazy, your body is just revolting against you. The sleep problem will make everything worse as being tired just magnifies everything. Pace yourself and take some solace in knowing that you are not crazy and not alone. Good luck...Mike

The evidence that men get fibro too is to great to ignore. Here's an article that talks about it a little bit .I'd get a 2nd opinion by another Dr. before you rule it out -maybe a naturopath or rheumatologist- someone who is more understanding & knowledgeable about your symptoms, and you may find a link. That being said there are alot of other conditions that have similar symptoms to fibromyalgia, so even though you have many of fibro's symptoms, it's possible you could have something else such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (CFS), or multiple things. There is alot of good info online. I feel your agony, I'm only 25 and have dealt with widespread muscle pain, brain fog, depression, digestive problems and trouble sleeping for about 8 years now. I was diagnosed with Fibro earlier this year. Yours sounds pretty bad, especially those memory lapses. Great that you have support from your family though. Just know that you are not alone in this. My prayers go out to you.

Sorry link not allow.

Last edited by a moderator:
First guys do get fibro or else non of us would be here. Second you are not crazy, your body is just revolting against you. The sleep problem will make everything worse as being tired just magnifies everything. Pace yourself and take some solace in knowing that you are not crazy and not alone. Good luck...Mike

Thank you Mike. I keep getting mixed information about Fibro and it seems 50/50 with the Doctors. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post and reply!

Man DO get fibro, it's just that a lot of men don't feel there a man if they hurt. It's a weakness in there eyes. But let me whisper this in your ear. Your wife is not a little flower that will slowly fade away if your not well. She will be your rock. We're quite tough you no.
You really need to let go of the men don't do pain,and if they do there not worth being with.your wife loves u and your kids love u . Remember that when your feeling down.they don't love you for what u can give,
Fibro offen comes after an op or a nasty shock to the system,so the strain of hurting your back so badly isn't a big surprise.
Do let us no what blood test say. Also fibro makes any pain more painful,and then you tend to spend hours noticing every pain you have. Your med could be making you do funny thing , my other half goes very funny on some med . I remember once forgetting where I was going on the way home from work. Just had no idea where I was,scared the shit outta me.that wasn't long after I started taramdol .do join in the chat on the site it will help not being so alone when u want to shout and scream without feeling bad . It's mandatory in here lol.

Am I going crazy?

Help!

You are not alone. I am a thirty two year old guy myself. A lot of the stuff you talk about I have also been dealing with. My wife as well has been needing to help me. In fact it was my wife who made me go see our psychiatrist. He was the one infromed me I have fibromyalgia.

Man DO get fibro, it's just that a lot of men don't feel there a man if they hurt. It's a weakness in there eyes. But let me whisper this in your ear. Your wife is not a little flower that will slowly fade away if your not well. She will be your rock. We're quite tough you no.
You really need to let go of the men don't do pain,and if they do there not worth being with.your wife loves u and your kids love u . Remember that when your feeling down.they don't love you for what u can give,
Fibro offen comes after an op or a nasty shock to the system,so the strain of hurting your back so badly isn't a big surprise.
Do let us no what blood test say. Also fibro makes any pain more painful,and then you tend to spend hours noticing every pain you have. Your med could be making you do funny thing , my other half goes very funny on some med . I remember once forgetting where I was going on the way home from work. Just had no idea where I was,scared the shit outta me.that wasn't long after I started taramdol .do join in the chat on the site it will help not being so alone when u want to shout and scream without feeling bad . It's mandatory in here lol.

As a guy I will admit my ego has been a problem. It was not for my wife making me go get help I would be in a worse shape then I am now.

My suggestion would be to see a ryhmatoligist specializing in auto Amun disease and neruoskeltole disorders sorry for my spelling, I go to the Lahey clinic in Burlington mass and was just diagnosed, you can find them on the web they may be able to connect you to someone in your area. Another suggestion would be try and find a newer doctor, it seems to me the older doctors get set in their ways and there is no changing them. I'm on my way to see my doctor today the first time since she diagnosed me over the telephone.

Okay Bigsquishy....First, thank you for your service. I'm so sorry you are going through this. You've come to the right place to help you realize that you aren't alone. I have a male friend who was a linesman and now works for the utility company. He has fibro. He's a big burly guy and as he says, some days he just wants to curl up in bed and cry and never get out because of the pain and fatigue.

You'll find that people with fibro have many, many other symptoms. While I've had brain fog, I have not had it to the extreme that you are describing. I might suggest you find a primary care physician who will listen to your ailments and start referring you to multiple specialists and start ruling out other things. Personally, I deal with the all over general fibro aches and pain, I have degenerative disc disorder; arthritis in my spine, hands and likely other places; stenosis nerve damage; back spasms, neck pain, hip pain and feet pain; almost daily headaches and frequent migraines; severe fatigue; insomnia; depression; anxiety; colitis and IBS; brain fog, which makes it very difficult to get organized and function. My point is that you have a number of similar issues. It took me years to work through each of these things and determine that they weren't attributed to other diseases. I would also suggest going to a counselor. Mine was a godsend.

The other thing I want to say is that there is life after fibro and all the funky issues that go with it. It took my counselor telling me to mourn the loss of who I was (active, sports-oriented tomboy) and embrace who I am today. I've had to give up being stubborn and trying to do my own things myself. My hubby and I built our house together. Because of my health issues, it's still not completely trimmed out and finishied (some day).

Take a deep breath and give yourself a break. Let your wife be your rock. I could not have survived this without my husband. It did take a while for him to actually get it, but be patient. Open communication helps tremendously. My relationship has never been better with him. That's the best thing that's come from this. I wish you the best and send gentle hugs your way. Keep us posted on how you're doing.....

I am a man with or without my fibro.
I have lupus, 10% of the people with lupus
Are male. Yes I scream in pain. Yes I cry all the time.
Yes I'm embarrassed. Yes my brothers and cousins don't
Support me and only drag me down. I haven't talked to them
In over 5years. One lives 8 blocks from me.
They caused me more pain.
You need to learn, have an open mind.
Make the right choices,see the right doctors
And stop causing yourself more pain by
Not believing and start doing what you need.
Your human and have the same nervous system and
Organs as a woman. Get the help you need
And stop suffering. From one man to another!

i am male 29 years old had sleep dysfunction for about 13 year just recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia , GLAD they found it after three years suffer. ihave neck pain , shoulder pain , LBP , double vision , leg pain , urination problem. my family told me it was fake. DAMN. the laugh in pain. it cause impotence with add depresion to me. i dont know what to do. it disturb my careerr in goverment office. GOOD LUCK Dealing With This. Dont forget many people in this world sufferr from cancer, leukimia, AIDS,. Stay Positive and Sleep Well at Night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back