Not open for further replies.

Staciee

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/1997
Country
UK
So I’m 51 now and sure menopause is happening, I’m on progesterone only pill so don’t get periods so I cant tell for sure and so many menopause symptoms are what we already experience with fibromyalgia like brain fog and burning up hot etc etc, I am definitely having worse time sleeping, pain and exhaustion worse, when I feel like flu symptoms my face goes bright red etc etc, anyway I will get to the point, I don’t know what to do about HRT i am so far chosing natural way as am worried about the Risks hormone replacement therapy can cause (just lost my mum to breast cancer). But not taking it more at risk of thinning bones etc any input appreciate.

Have you had the test for the passed down gene? (That might put your mind at rest a little bit) I know of people going through menopause (I'm not yet) and they said it's not much fun at all!, as you said you prefer natural (which I would too) . Maybe have a look into holistic and things that like dietary things (me and badger from wales too!, I watch pobol y cwm every Sunday 😊) there'll probably be more members on soon to give more advice to help with it
🤞🏻🍀

Last edited:
Definitely look into the natural ways you can help alleviate these symptoms first.
However, if you give all those things a good try and feel that your menopause symptoms are interfering with your life too much, then I think the HRT is worth seriously considering.

It's your body and only you can make the decision, but unless you test high for the breast cancer gene that Auriel mentions above, I personally think it may be worth it if your symptoms are debilitatingly bad. Now, what that means is for you to decide as well, but hot flashes and brain fog and so on are all normal, and in most women those will go away within months or at the most a couple of years. If you are just starting out with menopause, give it time to see how bad those symptoms really are.

The most recent scientific studies are saying that HRT only increases your risk of breast cancer by a small percentage, and that the benefits outweigh the risk. I read an article in the NYT magazine just this week about this. The result of the study is explained this way:

"Women between the ages of 50 and 60 have about a 2.33% chance of developing breast cancer. Taking HRT may increase that chance by around 26%, which would raise the risk level to 2.94%." Once you see the way those numbers and percentages actually work, they are a lot less alarming.

I personally would avoid HRT if possible because I simply avoid medications when possible. But I knew someone who lived for years with truly debilitating menopause symptoms that simply did not quit once the usual menopause period was over. Finally in desperation she went on HRT and her life changed for the better. She said she wished she had done it sooner.

Bottom line: information is power, and the more you inform yourself with good, real scientific findings on the subject (as opposed to scare stories on the internet), the better equipped you will be to make this decision. Best of luck!

raises hand

I started menopause summer of 2019 - and the hot flashes were AWFUL!! at times they were so intense I thought I was going to pass out.. and of course this was happening at the hottest time of the year.
this went on for about 6-7 months before they started to settle down... I still get them from time to time, but not nearly as bad..

My mother used to joke about them being "power surges" not hot flashes, LOL

Thanks for your replies, I’ve not had the gene test wasn’t even aware there was one I will look into that. I will also do more research it is quite a low risk really so if things get unbearable I will consider hrt. yes the hot flushes are intense come out of nowe’re feel like on fire. Dr did say everything with fibromyalgia and CF5 will be intensified so will see how bad things get x

My mother used to joke about them being "power surges" not hot flashes, LOL
I love interpretations like these, especially if they actually "work".
For instance I do it with the flushing effect of nicotinic acid (B3). When I at first believed that was bad for me, I worried and followed someone recommending the nicotinamide-form of B3. But then I did more research on it, and found that exactly the flushing effect or at least the flushing form is actually effective for the reason I was increasing it to high dose, at least nicotinamide is ineffective for lipids. So I started to get gleefully delighted about the half to one hour red face and red burning skin. I'm on 3x1.g/d and now hardly ever get flushes - depends on when I then eat, but when I do, I still interpret it as a power surge. So now I wonder if the poor "patient compliance" compared to meds is because they're not educated properly, or they get it longer or more severe than I do, e.g. with more headache.
(Reading further I've found that this high dose is dangerous for the liver, so now get it tested every 2 months and found out (from masterjohn) that I can reduce that, e.g. the homocysteine it increases, with TMG in the same amount. It's keeping all my lipids very well balanced up to now, got my HDL up for the first time since humankind has recorded mine, and liver seems OK.)

Last edited:
Oh, and I never look healthier and better, my often pale face and white lips at last get some colour! :LOL:
Are you going through menopause jacys? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: MNP
Are you going through menopause jacys? 🤣🤣🤣
Hehe, I think I started with it when I was conceived...: a menoblock.
Mayo doesn't believe in male menopause, nor do I....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back