Merry Christmas to everyone on this wonderful forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
counterintuitive thing.. you would think that longer days would mean warmer temps
Yep. I hadn't thought of it as counterintuitive, more like a common misconception that I'd fallen for, but true, it'd have a certain logic too. I think the summer may mislead us there, where the longer days do fit better to warm temperatures and while the darkness that then creeps up on us as "dark summer" we praps think of the warmth in September etc. as an afterglow. Harder to see the cold that comes up in the New Year as an after-effect of the days shortening before.

Yep. I hadn't thought of it as counterintuitive, more like a common misconception that I'd fallen for, but true, it'd have a certain logic too. I think the summer may mislead us there, where the longer days do fit better to warm temperatures and while the darkness that then creeps up on us as "dark summer" we praps think of the warmth in September etc. as an afterglow. Harder to see the cold that comes up in the New Year as an after-effect of the days shortening before.
not talking about September.. that is equinox territory, lol

Summer solstice is in June (referencing Northern Hemisphere, here) but the hottest temps, for us anyway, are in late July and early August - when days are getting shorter...
Similar scenario with winter.. Winter Solstice is in December, days start getting longer, but our coldest temps are late January, early February

Both situations are midway between Solstice and Equinox - and just dont quite make "logical" sense.
Logic would suggest that the hottest & coldest temps would occur around the time of Solstices, not a month or so later.

I am sure there are reasons for it (meteorological reasons), but it just seems a bit odd to me. 😜

not talking about September.. that is equinox territory, lol
Logic would suggest that the hottest & coldest temps would occur around the time of Solstices, not a month or so later.
Yeah, I did get all that, actually :). We've made me curious, so found out:
This effect is called "seasonal lag", like what I meant when I guessed the September warmth is an "afterglow" and the January cold an "after-effect". The absorption and release of the sun's energy on land & oceans takes quite a while longer than the solstices, due to its (thermal) "inertia", they keep the warmth and cold longer, don't react that quickly to the length of sunlight, water even more than earth. I guess like warm ocean water on a cold summer's day.
So real "summer" & "winter" do actually not start with the solstice, it'd be more precise to call that the 45 days before & after the "hottest / coldest days" summer / winter, scientist say.

Szép virágok, képek....
Senior

Yeah, I did get all that, actually :). We've made me curious, so found out:
This effect is called "seasonal lag", like what I meant when I guessed the September warmth is an "afterglow" and the January cold an "after-effect". The absorption and release of the sun's energy on land & oceans takes quite a while longer than the solstices, due to its (thermal) "inertia", they keep the warmth and cold longer, don't react that quickly to the length of sunlight, water even more than earth. I guess like warm ocean water on a cold summer's day.
So real "summer" & "winter" do actually not start with the solstice, it'd be more precise to call that the 45 days before & after the "hottest / coldest days" summer / winter, scientist say.
See, i knew there would be a logical explanation for it, lol
I just never really dug into it to find it. Weather is just not all that interesting to me, aside from how it will affect my activities that day.
now, Geology, on the other hand, i find fascinating.

How beautiful are the upside down orchids?
those are absolutely gorgeous, Harpy! most orchids are beautiful anyway, but those are stunning.

They are a huge flower and the smell is like a vanilla chocolate 🤤.

Yeh I almost hyperventilate trying to get as much smell in as I can lolololol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back