Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
Manitoba
Hi everybody,

It's been a while since I posted here. I think I was trying to live as normally as possible knowing that I had Fibro.

I was diagnosed in October 2014 and gave my diagnosis letter to my boss who was fully understanding as she had a family member with fibro but her case was worse than mine because she was really disable. Then I was totally honest with my Manager's boss as well and she was also very understanding about it.

So far so good. I did make 2 important mistakes but they were human mistakes and I know they were during a flare. Well, my Manager has been gone for almost a year and her boss for 5 months and last week, I made a mistake right on my new Manager's first week with the company. It total it's been 3 human mistakes in 2 years but it was enough for HR to setup a meeting and let me know that although they would take into consideration that I was without any support for months with no Manager, they couldn't say if I would be terminated or not.
This stressed me even more and caused anxiety and of course, I am more vulnerable to make another mistake. I'm a wreck. I don't know what my options are. The 2 people who had my back and knew my condtion are gone but my letter is still in my file.

I can't lose this job. Even with fibro I am good at it. I just need some support from time to time and my previous Manager was there for that.

Don't know what to do. Needed to express it.

Thank you if you read me.

I guess I know now why I stopped posting :(

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. Sounds like a double edge sword. Even people with out this condition make mistakes, BIG mistakes. Take a deep breath and look for the best. Maybe it's time to look for a company that hires humans and understands humans, no matter how good they are do make mistakes. Sometimes other people's input can make us feel worse, so it's hard to respond, but I do feel for you and your situation and very much understand the anxiety and frustration you must feel. I wish I had the magic words to make you feel better. But for now know that your have my prayers and I'm sending a gentle hug your way.

That is a hard situation to be in! I understand that you are afraid to make any more mistakes now. But on the other hand you are saying that you know you are good at your job. Try to stay confident and don't let this affect how you feel about your job.

I truly hope HR will take the absence of your boss and manager in consideration. Without supervision a lot can go wrong. As for the influence Fibro has on the mistakes you make. I don't know how it works where you live, but in The Netherlands you have to see the company's docter and together with the docter and your boss you agree on how your work/job should look like considering the illness you have (how much responsibilty you should have, making deadlines/targets, the hours you can work). Perhaps this could help in anyway? I think it helps to have a clear view for everyone on how to deal with Fibro and how it is allowed to affect on your work. It is great that the letter is in your file, this will definitly help! What is your companies policy? Did you get a warning earlier? In The Netherlands it is usually three warnings and that you're out. It is good to look into this. Try to write down your case so you can defend yourself if needed. Make sure to add: no supervision for 5 months, agreement/letter about Fibro, successes in the last year to show you are great at your job.

I hope this helped in any way! I feel for you. I know what this feels like. Hope that it works out for you.
Maaike

Hi Josee, Sorry to hear you're in this position, that's shit! On the one hand you want to be honest, then honesty, in a way, trips you up. I hope HR can see a bit of sense and that it's so irregular that you screw up. Is there a trade union/staff assoc you can turn to for advice? In the UK, i could call ACAS who are independent and offer employment law advice etc. Dont know if you have something similar? I'd have thought that living with fibro in one of the coldest places on God's earth (I watched the Grey Cup!) would get you cut some slack. Good luck anyway, thinking of ya xx

Hi everybody,

It's been a while since I posted here. I think I was trying to live as normally as possible knowing that I had Fibro.

I was diagnosed in October 2014 and gave my diagnosis letter to my boss who was fully understanding as she had a family member with fibro but her case was worse than mine because she was really disable. Then I was totally honest with my Manager's boss as well and she was also very understanding about it.

So far so good. I did make 2 important mistakes but they were human mistakes and I know they were during a flare. Well, my Manager has been gone for almost a year and her boss for 5 months and last week, I made a mistake right on my new Manager's first week with the company. It total it's been 3 human mistakes in 2 years but it was enough for HR to setup a meeting and let me know that although they would take into consideration that I was without any support for months with no Manager, they couldn't say if I would be terminated or not.
This stressed me even more and caused anxiety and of course, I am more vulnerable to make another mistake. I'm a wreck. I don't know what my options are. The 2 people who had my back and knew my condtion are gone but my letter is still in my file.

I can't lose this job. Even with fibro I am good at it. I just need some support from time to time and my previous Manager was there for that.

Don't know what to do. Needed to express it.

Thank you if you read me.
I'm sorry to hear that you fear losing your job. I've been incapable of working for the past year and a half. Look at your benefits regarding short and long-term disability at your workplace. The company must provide you with special allowances according to the Americans with Disability Act. The company could be faced with a lawsuit if they fire you because of your disability. I would suggest seeking an attorney's advice for your situation.. It's not easy, I was in your situation, but now I'm in a different situation. I could barely get out of bed most days. This disease gets progressively worse, start preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Good luck!

Thank you for you kind words Karen.

I am in Canada and I'm not sure about the laws about disability. I used to live in Montréal and they have laws against being fired for disability, especially when they have known for more than a year with a signed letter from my doctor. In Manitoba, employees don't have the same laws. I searched and it seems like laws falls on the employer's side. I do have STD and LTD at work but I know I can do the job (at least I think), maybe I should give it some thougths.

I know someone who is a president of an HR company and he fights for employee's right. I will ask for his advice.

Again thank you for taking the time to read and reply. It means a lot.

Have a great day!

p.s. I will reply to everybody over the weekend.

Josee, check on your policy to make sure you know if you'll be covered. Some policies don't kick in for months and if you're not working when you apply, you won't be covered. I neglected to do this and it cost me...no disability. I got done three days before eligibility and, surprise, no one I. hR gave me the heads up. I had applied for partial since I was working. My doc gave me forms limiting my hours to 24 hours a week. I was crushed.

I am truly sorry, it amazes me the number of people who have n!o empathy or compassion ! Maybe a call to your former boss might help! It can't hurt?
Good Luck and please keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back