Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2016
Country
US
State
XO
I hope this is OK to post; I had been on salmeterol xianofoate for off-label use during a clinical trial I had participated in. Towards the end of the trial, I started coming down with myofascial pain and a litany of other health issues that worsened and evolved over the past 8 months; things that I never had before.

I wish I had researched the trial drug more in-depth before participating, because I later found out that there was a recent in-lab study that found the drug was capable of damaging the mitochondria, in a similar manner it was administered to me during the trial, under circumstances it warned could cause further damage. I can't even believe the FDA allowed such a trial to take place, but that is big pharma for you.

Anyway, I think this is an important piece of published research to at least make one think before starting any new drug. I wish I knew then what I knew now:

Medication-induced mitochondrial damage and disease
by John Neustadt and Steve R. Pieczenik

"Since the first mitochondrial dysfunction was described in the 1960s, the medicine has advanced in its understanding the role mitochondria play in health and disease. Damage to mitochondria is now understood to play a role in the pathogenesis of a wide range of seemingly unrelated disorders such as schizophrenia, bipolar disease, dementia, Alzheimer's disease, epilepsy, migraine headaches, strokes, neuropathic pain, Parkinson's disease, ataxia, transient ischemic attack, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, retinitis pigmentosa, diabetes, hepatitis C, and primary biliary cirrhosis."

Attachments

• DrugsCauseMitochondrialDamage.pdf
    254.9 KB · Views: 48
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back