Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
KYA
State
Central
People suffer from one or more debilitating conditions one time or another resulting in pain or discomfort. I bet that in this life, we will never be 100% kosher under the sun. There is a silent epidemic raging as a result of drug insensitivity occasioned by overuse of painkillers. Some use stronger sedatives and this includes drug addicts. When fibromyalgia strikes, they find that the effectiveness of most sedatives has greatly reduced. I bet that it is good to expose your neurological system to conditioning so as to be able to recover easily from low intensity pain without resorting to sedatives.

No disrespect meant, but Im 51 years old and I can count the times I've been on pain meds on one hand, 21 days after entering the ER I left with a perscriction for morphine that I never filled. Yet when the fibromyalgia pain hit, it was like nothing I had ever felt!!! Yes, being outdoor, active, clumsy and raising up 4 kids, I have felt pain. But I'ld say at 51 years of avoiding narcodics did nothing to condition my body for pain tolorence.
To make things worse, it is because of addicts, abusers and irresponsible doctors that people living with chronic pain can't get the pain medication they need. If fibromyalgia never goes away, who cares if their addicted to relief? Lyrica made me drunk as a skunk, what's the difference? You build an intolerance to it too.
I'm truely not trying to be argumentative or defensive but I Think you might want to look around this theory at a different angle. I'm living proof it's wrong.

Last edited:
I have also never taken painkillers all my life not even after having four wisdom teeth extracted at the same time under general anaesthetc...that was years ago in my pre fibro days.

I was given a prescription in case i needed it but never filled it either.

For the first 7 years of fibro i refused to take pain medication on the basis how would i manage my activity if pain killers were masking pain and also it gave me great confidence when i had good days or achieved things knowing it was me and not the drugs doing it.

That said i was often holding in tears of distress at the pain especially at night or when i first had to push through to get going in the morning but preferred to use hot water bottles and gritted teeth.

I have had to finally give in to cocodamol 500/30 but the relief is minimal even though my system had never had a medication like this ever.

My pain is not low intensity its life destroying.

well as someone who had a brother who was a drug addict ,I no how they can abuse pain killers. He had tons and tons. But what about someone like me.im not a druggie .but I do need pain killers everyday.
I have 4 children to think of .I hate the though that ppl out there think I'm tossing back pain killers all the day long.I have very bad nerve pain .I don't want to lose ten years of my life for taking pills. But I don't want to spent my life in pain.
I truly believe if you need pain killers u should take them.my brothers dead now and he is one of them ppl who has made it difficult for ppl with real pain to have and take pain killers. But we will always have ppl who agree with pain killers and ppl who don't. x

Forgetmenot I'm so sorry about your brother. My husbands brother was an addict and died at 34 ironically of a form of leukemia that children survive but adults don't, my sister got clean in her forties, she started when she was 11! Addicts can obtain just about anything, but for many that need it legitamitly here in the states it's getting more and more difficult. I don't want any in my house because of my son and his friends, I quit anti anxiety meds because my perscriction kept getting stolen (wasn't my son because he was with us when we where out of town). Not everyone abusess narcodics, I believe there is a psychological reason that often leads an addict down that road, or possibly even a gene. And some drugs are proven to be highly addictive (i.e. OxyContin, heroin exc.) there is a HUGE difference in looking to get high and getting chronic pain relief. If your taking it to escape reality your probably heading down the wrong road, if your in pain, well that's what they were made for. I have other reasons I've never liked pain meds but not because I worried about abusing them (before fibro I wanted complete control over my body and everything had a place) allergic reaction to codine, witnessing my sister and her friends destroy their lives and their loved ones Exc. But with fibro, yes there have been days that if I had them I would have taken them with no hesitation!

Painkillers are something really strong, so we should not abuse them. Sadly most of these modern drugs help with somethings, but harm another.

Opirtosonto....true datt. I just posted in alternative about my thoughts on that and the us if mj, believe it or not it's under "cheap instant topical relief" lol, I don't know how it got there but it did!

Same here :) Up to this day I haven't taken painkillers, or better said... I haven't followed a long term regime. So I will join the others and say this is totally wrong and kind insensitive. Some of us don't even use painkillers to treat the pain we are now... I am one of those. I am just waiting til things get really bad and I truly need the medication. After all I'm still too young for that... I want to wait longer, as long as my body allows it.

This topic is always controversial. I think that an addict, is an addict, is an addict and will always look at ways of getting whatever gives them a high. Unfortunately, we are in a society that is punishing a group of people that use pain medication as it was intended. Like many things, Lyrica included, we develop a tolerance, so our dosage is upped to accommodate it. This isn't the case with pain meds, for some reason. It's viewed as addictive if we require higher dosages after using it for long periods of time.

I stumbled on the significant relief using hydrocodone for a completely different issue. I used to have horrible stomach cramps during that time of the month. (this is a number of years ago, maybe 7-8?) My gynocologist prescribed hydrocodone for those months that they were really bad (I would pass out from the pain). I realized after a couple of times of using them, that the pain in my feet, and legs, and back, and neck, etc., etc., was significantly improved! I was able to get things done around the house! I could garden! It was nice! It actually gave me energy. So I talked with my primary care physician and he began prescribing a limited amount each month.

With pain medication, it takes a few rounds of taking it to get on top of the pain, on the days I want to get things done around the house, or if we are camping, I want to be able to go and do things, I start my regiment in the morning, taking my pain meds, or the night before if I need to function in the morning. I have never felt high or different taking them, other than reduced pain. When my pain is tolerable, I don't take them. I have never felt the NEED for them. On my good periods, I can go weeks without even thinking about them, on my bad days, I can tolerate pain much of the time. If the pain becomes untolerable or I really need to get something done that requires I move when I'm in significant pain, I use them.

The sad thing is, because we do become tolerant (like other meds), I will never be able to get more than the lowest dose. I have been to pain management and none believe in opiate use. My primary doc is limited and they are so significantly scrutinized on what they can prescribe. I have to make do with the amount he does feel comfortable with. The past year I have had more good days than bad, so I'm usually able to keep a buffer, in the event that I have more bad. Unfortunately, that has come to pass this past 4 months. I have had the most challenging time with pain and fatigue. How do I manage it? I suffer and purposely don't take them for as long as I can tolerate it, then for several days I allow myself to get on top of the pain to regroup, knowing I'll be suffering again once I stop. It's the way it is these days, sadly, and I only see it getting more difficult.

I'm waiting for the warmer weather so I can just go back to not taking them most of the time and only taking them when I want to function again....

My heart hurts for those that have family members who are addicted, or who have lost family and friends to addiction. It's just unfortunate that the one penalizes others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back