Mold - anyone know how to see if it’s a trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzbG

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/1997
Country
US
State
CA
We bought a house in Nov 2018, and when doing the pre-move in renovations, we discovered mold in the subfloor under the upstairs bathroom floor. It was all removed, as far as we know, and cleaned with bleach. When the electricians put in inset lights in the kitchen they discovered the drywall had been wet. We told him about the floor upstairs, and he felt we did enough.
I live in Northern Cal, and winter is usually wet, from Nov-Feb/Mar, and the entire rest of the year is dry, except for the overnight fog. Until this year, we didn’t have AC. We used fans, as they were sufficient. But the wild fires in recent years had us thinking - because of the allergies to trees & grasses (which is what burns in wildfires) and the fires in recent years, we bought an new furnace / AC unit. With this recent flare, I’m not out of the house much, and the recent heat 95-115° had me huddled inside.

I am feeling worse & worse the more I’m inside, but hurt so much leaving is rough. We are now wondering - could I be reacting to mold that we haven’t found yet? Anyone know how/where to get testing? I don’t even know where to start.

Mold, especially black mold, is bad for everyone.
I would not live in a house that I suspected had any mold.

To see if it is a trigger for a flare? I don't know any reliable way to prove that one way or another because in your house are a million other things besides the possible mold. But you could have yourself tested for allergies to mold and that would probably be easy to arrange.

To test a room for mould:
I got an agar petri dish from my GP to put up in one room concerned, had to be in there 24h, then brought it back for analysis....
If you're looking for info about mould, it's something people with MCAS have to look out for, along with loads of other environmental and food triggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.