Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
Hi everybody,

Let me start off by saying thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and those who reply. I am in no way trying to get a diagnosis for my mom, i just want to hear what your opinion on my moms condition is. For the past two years, my mom has been battling what doctors have told her is fibromyalgia. My mom is a bit of a hypochondriac and believes that she has ALS and her days are numbered. About two years ago my mom went to a neurologist and had an EMG (i went with her for support) and the neurologist looked at her and told her she didn't have ALS and he looked at me and told me the same thing. My mom will have days where she feels great and days where her pain forces her to leave work. She goes to the gym every now and then and swims and occasionally lifts light weights, but she has in her head that her body is deteriorating. My mom has been having numbness, tingling, and pain mostly on the left side of her body for the past two years. She's been given pain pills by the doctors along with other medications but they don't seem to help her very much if at all (at least that's what she's told me).It's important to note that my mom takes Lorazepam to help her with the anxiety (again she's a bit of a hypochondriac) that she gets from thinking about her ailments. She has so much anxiety about her symptoms that she worries herself to the point of panic attacks where she lays on the couch and talks like she's been drinking (which she hasn't). My mom used to go to a psychologist to help her vent about her situation and how to help reduce her stress, but she stopped going but she's going to start going again next week. Also, my mom doesn't want to try physical therapy even though the doctors have suggested it. I've done some research and it seems like people dealing with fibromyalgia can have their symptoms on one side of their body. She's going in for another EMG next Monday to hopefully get some peace of mind. I wanted to ask all of you what your opinion is on this. Does my mom have what she thinks is ALS or is it fibromyalgia magnified by her anxiety? Also, do any of you have the symptoms that my mom has with your fibromyalgia and do you have any suggestions of anything my mom can do to try to lessen the severity of her symptoms and/or anxiety? Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and those of you that reply. I hope that you all have a wonderful day.

Sincerely,

A concerned son

I'm so sorry you have to see your mom is this situation. that must be really hard. It's nice that you are looking out for her! is she willing to see a doctor + a psych? there is no shame in seeing someone, it's just a different kind of medicine! it may not hurt for YOU to seek someone to talk to also so that you don't have stress effect your health! It sounds like her anxiety is getting the best of her at this point & seeking help from a pro will benefit her big time.

Fibro is diffrent in everyone. And the symptoms move and change all the time.
If she's been told it's fibro then I bet it is. U can have days where u simple want to die u hurt so much and days where u think u can take on the world.
She needs to come join the fourm and talk to ppl who understand her.
Learn for herself and learn to find what works for her .she got to want to help herself and she's got to first beilive she has it.
Once she does she can start to move forward. It's a bloody painful thing,to live with but it can't kill u. And u do learn how to change your live to fit as best u can.
Not everyone is bed ridden. I walk my dog twice a day and have a 3 year old and I can't hop in bed. But some ppl here can hardly
move.
So it's horses for courses im affaird .if she had a computer do try to get her on here she will find the ppl kind and very understanding.

Hello brew,

Thanks for caring enough to get your mom help.

Please try to get her here or any forum that will help her to learn about ALS and Fibro.

Yes. i have those same things only on my left side, Yes i feel its Fibro not ALS.

why did she choose ALS and not MS or Lupus? all these things are checked before a fibro diagnosis is given.

she will also find that Neuropathy will have the same symptoms too.

if her body was deteriorating, it would show in many tests and many ways.

she is willing to work out but not do PT. strange. have her try the body blade work out.

She needs to vent all the time right now. she will need to talk to the councilor to vent as well.
Offer to go with her to the first few sessions to support her. tell her you need to learn about
what is happening to her so you can help and support her.

watch out for depression too.

Have her start a journal and start venting there.
bring her here and have her talk to me if you feel i can help her.

Sounds like she is having nerve pains.
call it nerve pain and not Fibromyalgia. this will help you and her.

what meds is she taking for that nerve pain/fibromyalgia?

if she is sure it's ALS, ask her to show you the research she has done on ALS so you can understand
it too.

panic attacks = pain. she must stop those if she wants some relief.

the Anxiety meds will make her sit on the couch like she is drunk.
you need to document that drug and have it reviewed by her doctor.

Advise her to get into a dark room and relax.

start her on breathing exercises or a Technic called Tapping.

lack of sleep due to pain will also cause her anxiety, fatigue and depression.

Less stress= less pain.

she needs your help and support. tell her that you believe her. in just those words.
that will reduce her stress.

I hope i have helped and answered your questions today.

if i can be of any more help to you please feel free to friend me and PM me anytime.

any of these nice folks are more than willing to help her. she just needs to make the first step by getting here.

Please be patient with your Mom, I'm one too, ; I have had most of the same symptoms, and it's easy if your the type a personality, in that I mean take charge person, to dive into Why the hell your body's energizer bunny is running low, if she has in the past relied and enjoyed being the girl scout trooper, the Den Mother, the cool aid Mom, the drive taxi, do everything, and really enjoy that aspect of your life, it's oh haha so difficult to accept the fact you have a disability. Just encourage her, maybe even help her in practical ways, as you have started to do. I've been blessed with babysitting, and when I say sitting, it's just that. I've been ordered to only watch the children, no house work, so, we play and love on each other for only a few hrs, but it Makes me get out of the house, and feel some value. Keep on trucken? Obviously your Mom raised you right kiddo!
God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back