Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
Canada
COVID-19 affects people physically and mentally. It's hard to deal with all this along with chronic pain. What do you do when feel like life is consuming all the positivity in you? What motivates you?

The thing I do every day is remember how lucky I am. This isn't some sort of positive-thinking, Pollyanna, attitude-of-gratitude BS. This is reality, and I simply remind myself.

Tp wit: I am not a refugee. I have not lost my country, my home, or the people I know. I have a home and enough food and can get what I need to survive. I have a computer with internet access. I have a car and can afford to put gas in it. I have savings in the bank. I turn the tap and hot and cold water comes out and it is clean and won't give me diseases if I drink it. I have a safe place to sleep every night and a roof over my head. I can even cool it in the summer and warm it in winter.

These basic things that most Americans have are the utmost of luxury to hundreds of millions of people in the world who have never had any of those things and likely never will. And you can be sure that many of them have diseases and pain and problems as well, just as we do.

So, when I struggle with the current life sucking all my positivity -- which is daily -- I start with remembering that. I remember that my life is really not hard when compared to people whose lives are REALLY hard.

If I am depressed, then I am depressed and being grateful doesn't change that. But remembering that I have it good compared to about 95% of the rest of the human population (true --look it up) keeps it in perspective. Having a little perspective means a lot, because it can keep a person from sinking down into a hole they can't climb out of.

I also practice a lot of different things to keep myself as healthy as I can and to stay calm and so on, and I know those things help.
At the end of the day if I am still depressed and un-motivated, well then, I am. Accept and continue putting one foot in front of the other because what is the alternative? Well, there's suicide, but short of that you just keep going.

And I do my best to take my joy in the tiny increments it comes to me: a look on my dog's face, the sunset, things like that.
I understand your difficulty and have the same trouble.
If you want support you can always come here and we will do our best to help.

COVID-19 affects people physically and mentally. It's hard to deal with all this along with chronic pain. What do you do when feel like life is consuming all the positivity in you? What motivates you?
Hi there I remind myself that I have had good days and that with this diagnosis not one single day is the same .
Sometimes I have 3 pretty good days and then maybe 2 awful days - I feel that dull nagging pain monster settling in and it’s disheartening or I feel the cloud of depression 😞so I go back and reflect on those good days I had and what I accomplished and know that I’ll have to wait on that good day and please note this - you will have your good days!
Take care of you !

Thank you both for your responses. They were really good and as I was reading them, I'm like... damn right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back