Not open for further replies.

CathyB

Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
I have had muscle pain for 9 yrs. I have really bad allergies and knowing that allergies cause inflammation I have searched for foods that would help with inflammation. I read that cayenne pepper is good but I don't like hot stuff. One day I was hurting pretty bad and looking for help l came across a thing on the internet that said to mix cayenne pepper with olive oil and rub it on your skin so I did and for the next few months I have tried this and every time it worked but I wasn't convinced. I woke this morning and before getting out of bathroom 10 steps away my right leg was already hurting in the muscle beside my shin bone. This is where I hurt the worst so I knew I was in for a bad day. I took the mixture of olive oil and cayenne pepper and put 3 finger drops on and rubbed it in and waited 10 min. and the pain was gone all day. That's been 12 hours. Its starting to hurt some now but WOW! Maybe someone else could try this and see if it helps y'all. I don't rember what site I found this on. Brain fog took my memory. Let me know what you think.:p

CathyB that sounds awesome, I think I might look for a recipe of that.

That really does sound interesting. I'm going to have to do a little bit more research on that one and it might be something that would work for my husband and his muscle pains.

What you've created is something similar to a back rub formula! The ceyenne pepper works by overloading the nerves in the area of application, which then translates into a numbing sensation. But that's a great little trick, Cathy! Thank you for sharing!

Thank y'all for responding. I haven't heard that cayenne pepper overloads the nerves. That sounds bad. If we already have nerve problems wouldn't that be bad for it? From what I understood it just reduces inflammation. I know I have a problem with that. I have really bad allergies and take from 8 to 12 otc allergy pills a day just to keep my headaches to a minimum so I can function. Being allergic to corn is hard and scary. I never know from one day to the next what might happen. Then with fibrous too, I would not want to make anything worse. Whyfor could u tell me where I can find info. On that ?

That totally defies logical explanation :D *BUT* I'm so glad to hear that it worked for you... if it gives any kind of relief at all, it's certainly worth giving it a try and I see no reason *not* to try it... YAY, and I hope it will help other members here as well!

Oh, what would the measurements of that mix be? How much oil to how much cayenne?

I just put about a fourth tsp. cayenne pepper to about a tsp. of olive oil. It has lasted a long time cause u don't have to use much for it to work. I use lots more lotion than this stuff. I just dip one finger in it and out about 3 times, so about 3 drops. As far as I know none of the 2 ingredients will hurt u so just try some and if it don't work put more cayenne cause the cayenne pepper is the anti inflammatory. The oil just gets it in the skin.

I really do find this fascinating. I was thinking/wondering about other things it may relieve as well, so I researched it. I also had wondered if the cayenne could burn the skin like other pepper oils do because of the capsaicin... but I read that a little heat is normal.

This mixture is being recommended for all kinds of things including arthritis, lower back pain, and headaches.

I do believe I need to buy me some cayenne when I get to the store again!

Never ever thought of such a simple pain relieve, but just like you, I will have to try it to see how it works. If one can find a pain reliever that can be used when in pain and external, I think that's even better. But I would like to know if there is any side effect if you rub the mixture for long. Can it damage the skin or anything else in the part of the body being rubbed on.

It doesn't burn or hurt my skin in any way. I won't put it close to my eyes but its good for muscle pain.

I was just reading about turmeric and it's properties, one of which is that it is supposed to work as an anti-inflamatory. I bought a bottle of the supplement the other day because I forgot to fill my perscription, so I'm going to try it for a few weeks and hope it works as good or better l than the drugs.

Very interesting information. I'll have to check and see if we have any cayenne on hand. If the muscle you're talking about, on your leg, is the same as the one that hurts me, I'd love some relief. My muscle beside the shin bone aches 24/7 and gets worse when I drive. It's probably my chief complaint right now.

This sounds like it would be similar to a capsaicin cream, just not as strong. I'll bet the oil absorbs into the skin well. I also bet if you heated the mixture, it would be stronger.

This works, I am one that has used this for a very long time. I actually like to mix in black pepper as well, with the oil and cayenne, and it gets really warm. I do have one warning though. Be VERY careful if you put it inside your shoes. it was winter, and I thought I'd try to see if cayenne pepper would help keep my feet warm while I was on the bus stop. Do you know something? by the time I arrived at work, I thought that I had burnt a hole through my skin. I could not believe how hot my feet had gotten. Yes, it did work, in keeping my feet warm on the bus stop, but once I got inside a warm building, it was as if they were on fire. But i've done this. I prefer to wrap it with plastic wrap, for me it seems to work better, to use the mix then wrap the area up in plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back