Muscle issues/sensations that Fibromyalgia can cause

JanieJane

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
UK
Hi, I am new to the forum, had FM for 20 years before finally getting a diagnosis a few years ago. I am well used to the FM stiffness and pain that can move around the body but more recently have had discomfort (not pain) at bottom of right rib cage in same place, now there all the time. I can only describe it as feeling like muscles/tissue have stiffened or swollen. Has anyone else had this type of sensation with FM? Would be interested to know.

JayCS

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2020
Country
GE
Hi JJ, can't exactly remember something directly like this, but does sound fibro-like. Maybe it'll evolve into outright pain if not treated. I'd try heat, careful self-massaging (looking for trigger points round there), arnica complex cream, osteopathy... Could there be any scar tissue there? See the scar-thread. My left clavicle acted up again thru fibro, which I'd broken 14 years ago, often with pain, but also sort of stiff/swollen...

JanieJane

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
UK
Many thanks for your reply, yes the scar tissue element is good to note - thank you

Marvis

Distinguished member
Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2016
Country
CA
State
Ontario
It is worth getting it checked by your doc as there is a lot of digestive/organ/important stuff in under the rib cage. I find most of my complaints are brushed off, but my doc usually checks those out, even though I’m always pretty sure they’re just muscular. You could also look for muscle knots/trigger points on your back at that level - I find I can have a lot of referred pain that travels from one point to another.

TJB

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
UK
State
CT
Hi there & Happy New Year,
I have FM/CFS/ME amongst other things 😳.
I had this pain/discomfort in same area. It turned out to be a very large gallstone and I ended up with a gallbladder removal.
Issue was just below my right rib cage, sometimes radiating along the front.
See your gp, who should get you a scan Just to be on safe side.
If course, May not be.
X

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
VA
Hi JanieJane,
I've had Fibro for 7 years now and I've always had that rib pain you mention. My ribs are very tender to the touch and they ache and feel like they are bruised or something.
My mom also has Fibro and her ribs have always hurt too...

JanieJane

Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2018
Country
UK
Thank you - that's all helpful x I am in more of a slight discomfort than pain but will monitor it. I will get it checked out but am just a bit wary at the moment because of the hospitals/doctors in crisis mode due to the pandemic. Will hang on a little bit, but will get it checked out - many thanks for all the feedback xx